Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Solving white decal print without ALPS printer?

joelwideqvist
12-09-2004, 03:25 AM
Hi
I don't have any access to an ALPS printer and I really need to do some white decals for a project. My idea is to print them on white paper instead with a small black border that draws the edges of the white lettering. The question is if the the black on the decals will stand out from the black base coat of the bike after clear coating it all? I mean they'll both be black but can the differences in finish between paint and paper be hidden under a satin clear coat?.

bla bla bla, was this even possible to understand? Perhaps someone did...
regards
Joel

here's a pic that perhaps makes the text easier to comprehend.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/joelwideqvist/cameltest04low.jpg
Decals that have to be made are the Bridgestone, Correos and Pramac ones.

Scale-Master
12-09-2004, 10:57 AM
Joel, I understand. You pretty much have the right idea.
Lets take the CAMEL for example. Then you can apply the same steps to all the decals for it.

Make the black on the decal a solid rectangle(ish) shape a bit larger than the white lettering with just the letters showing in white.
(You'll have to print black between the letters or spend a lot of time trimming and or painting.)
Use gloss paint for the black on your parts.
When you apply the decal to the painted part, make sure it conforms well, use decal solvent if needed.
When dry, carefully hand paint the same color black you painted the part with around the perimeter of the decal. (There is a good chance a hairline of white decal paper ink will be visible under the black ink.)
Clear coat with gloss clear.
Color sand the edges of the decals until they are flush.
Spray satin or flat clear (which ever you think is correct) over the whole thing and you'll have it.

I hope you understood me. Good luck and show us when you get it done. - Mark

Ferrari TR
12-09-2004, 01:08 PM
Though I don't know the details, I do know that you can get a single sheet of dry transfer decals made for about $20 dollars (USD).
:smile:

joelwideqvist
12-10-2004, 01:03 AM
Joel, I understand. You pretty much have the right idea.
Lets take the CAMEL for example. Then you can apply the same steps to all the decals for it.

I hope you understood me. Good luck and show us when you get it done. - Mark

Sure I understood. Thanks for that how to Mark, now I'll have a go at it and see how it turns out. Fortunately it's only the smaller decals with pramac, bridgestone and correos logos that I have to make.
I'll get back with some progress some time past new years.
best regards
Joel

Vric
12-10-2004, 09:33 AM
I tryed once. it doesn't look good

the black border will look flat, and on a glossy car, it just don't look good.

rsxse240
12-10-2004, 02:29 PM
I tryed once. it doesn't look good

the black border will look flat, and on a glossy car, it just don't look good.

sounds to me like he's got it right on in the "how to"

black border on white film
place decal on gloss black paint
touch up the edge of the decal where white is showing through the black
gloss clear and wetsand to a smooth surface to hide the decal thickness and brush paint thickness
spray flat/semigloss to desired reflection.

I don't see how the decal wouldn't look good, unless you didn't seal the decal under a clear coat.

Add your comment to this topic!