Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Towing an S-10 (ya might be suprised)

tbante
12-08-2004, 08:19 PM
I thought my S-10 would be easy to tow. Manual tranny, put it in neutral and good to go.
Wrong.
Turns out that Chevy says you need to disconnect the driveshaft.
What a bunch of crap.
I know that mod kits are sold for this purpose. Anyone ever done it?
How much? How hard to install?
Seems like nothing is ever as simple as it should be.

OverBoardProject
12-08-2004, 09:16 PM
I knew that early 90's an up Dodge trucks were like that but I never knew about Chevy's... Thanks for the info. I guess that I'll never tow any, except out of the ditch

What I saw in 1 4x4 mag many years ago was an article where they put a posi in a s-10, and locking hubs like you see on other 4x4 truck's front ends.

I'm sure if you surf the web a little you'll find those hubs somewhere

sierrap615
12-09-2004, 01:29 AM
most transmissions are not designed for towing unless the engineers whent out of their way to do it. on a side note, semitrucks are not designed to be towed, if you are going to tow it, you need to remove the driveshaft. how fun would that be? removing a 60 lb driveshaft on the side of the road in the cold/snow/rain at 2 am in the morning?

dugie6551
12-09-2004, 08:43 AM
I get my truck towed with a flatbed .... done!

Mikado14
12-09-2004, 09:49 AM
most transmissions are not designed for towing unless the engineers whent out of their way to do it. on a side note, semitrucks are not designed to be towed, if you are going to tow it, you need to remove the driveshaft. how fun would that be? removing a 60 lb driveshaft on the side of the road in the cold/snow/rain at 2 am in the morning?

Been there, done that, bought the T shirt and still doing it. Dropped a Kenworth last week, but it wasn't 60 lbs. Another thing is to pull the axles, a lot easier and you don't have to crawl under.

Most manuals say that the s-10's should be towed from the rear. At least every manual I have read.

OverBoardProject
12-09-2004, 12:06 PM
I know 1 former tow truck driver that told me it's safe towing a 4x4 like our s-10's backwards, however I don't trust that guy and I'd rather remove my driveshaft (or get it put on a dolly) to be safe.

But do look at your owners manual first, since more and more companies are making their cars so you can tow them behind a motorhome, even with an automatic

erskin
12-09-2004, 04:07 PM
I towed my S-10 from NC to KY, the driveshaft was easy to drop, and I put a new seal and oil in it too. I agree though for short towing a flatbed is best, it costs the same!

erskin
12-09-2004, 04:09 PM
I have found too that towing it backwards is alot harder..you can't lock the steering wheel or it will mess up the tires.

Add your comment to this topic!