Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

87 s-10 won't start.....injector?

alfolsee2000
12-08-2004, 05:45 PM
1987 S-10 4 cyl TBI. The vehicle won't start. Recently cleaned fuel tank and changed fuel pump. Would not start without priming TBI, then would run fine. Ran this way for a couple days then would not start at all. Since then have changed injector and fuel filter. The fuel pressure seem to be adequate. The fuel injector will not open. put on new computer. Injector still will not open. There are two wire to the injector. The red wire has constant voltage with the switch on. I installed a jumper wire to replace the blue wire from the injector to the computer wiring harness. No help. Don't know what else to check.

GTA
12-08-2004, 06:07 PM
moved from the 88-91 civic forum.

jackass#1
12-09-2004, 10:05 PM
you have fuel pressure but nothing coming out of the injector? if the case go to the fuse box under the dash driverside, and check the
EMC/IGN 10A fuse. if blown replace. crank see if starts, if not
check fuse again see if blown again if so you have short somewhere.
check that first. if there isnt a blown fuse. well go another direction

BlazerLT
12-10-2004, 03:20 AM
1987 S-10 4 cyl TBI. The vehicle won't start. Recently cleaned fuel tank and changed fuel pump. Would not start without priming TBI, then would run fine. Ran this way for a couple days then would not start at all. Since then have changed injector and fuel filter. The fuel pressure seem to be adequate. The fuel injector will not open. put on new computer. Injector still will not open. There are two wire to the injector. The red wire has constant voltage with the switch on. I installed a jumper wire to replace the blue wire from the injector to the computer wiring harness. No help. Don't know what else to check.

did you remove the filter cover and see if the injectors were firing when you were trying to start it?

alfolsee2000
12-10-2004, 08:00 AM
you have fuel pressure but nothing coming out of the injector? if the case go to the fuse box under the dash driverside, and check the
EMC/IGN 10A fuse. if blown replace. crank see if starts, if not
check fuse again see if blown again if so you have short somewhere.
check that first. if there isnt a blown fuse. well go another direction
All the fuses are ok. I had acess to another whole distributor so I changed it and the injector fired and the truck started. I am still not sure whewre the problem was. Seems like something in the distributor was not giving the correct signal the the computer.

BlazerLT
12-10-2004, 06:22 PM
Again, can you remove the filter cover before you start swapping out parts aimlessly and check to see if you have fuel pulse going down into the TB.

general poot
12-11-2004, 08:02 PM
I suggest you purchase a noid light (about $7.00 at Auto Zone)and check to see if your injector is receiving voltage from the ECM, also check your MAP sensor and TPS sensor. Good Luck!

Mikado14
12-12-2004, 12:15 PM
All the fuses are ok. I had acess to another whole distributor so I changed it and the injector fired and the truck started. I am still not sure whewre the problem was. Seems like something in the distributor was not giving the correct signal the the computer.

Your problem was the ignition module. No spark, no injector fire.

Add your comment to this topic!