Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1995 Passat Engine Swap, starter doesnt crank, please help!!!

Keotto
12-08-2004, 05:19 PM
Hello, anyone that can help me, I would greatly appreciate it. I have turned to the internet to get help with this problem, because it seems that no one else wants to give me any suggestions. So anything would be great.
I have a 1995 VW Passat GLS 2.0 Manual tranny. I originally purchased the car from a yard, because the car had a bad engine in it. Included in the deal was a working 2.0 engine. I took the engine and tranny out to swap the engine. I swapped all the parts from the bad engine over to the new one so it had all its original parts(except for the engine itself). We put the engine in and went to start the engine. Nothing happened. We got electric to the inside, the windows opened and everything, I could hear the fuel pump turn on also I think, but nothing for the starter.
So we got the starter tested, and the starter was bad. I got a new starter. We put that in, and still the same thing, nothing.
I also went and got a new ignition switch, and that wasnt it either. Please let me know if you need any further information at all, or if you have any suggestions. Please help, I am running out of time and money!!! Thanks

boschmann
12-15-2004, 04:18 PM
Are you getting 12V + at the small red/black wire at the starter solenoid?

dubhead
04-23-2005, 03:23 PM
Are you getting 12V + at the small red/black wire at the starter solenoid?
I don't want to interrupt, but the anticipation is killing me! I think I have a similar problem. I just performed an auto tranmissionectomy on my '90 Passat and replaced it with a '94 model. Suddenly I have no power to my red/black wire when I turn the key. I have juice from the switch under the column and no wiring appears to have been damaged. Does the '94 tranny need a '94 TCU to start? Relay? Jumper wire? Jumping the solenoid works fine, but it looks kind of silly in dress clothes.

boschmann
04-26-2005, 12:19 PM
The Automatic used the TCU to activate the park/neutral relay under the dash. You need to cut the red/black wire on the backside of the fuse/relay box connector F, pin 1 & run that wire (from the fuse box) directly to the starter solenoid.

Add your comment to this topic!