Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

LS swap question???

QuikShifter
12-07-2004, 09:54 PM
Ok, im looking to swap a 98 auto LS motor into a 90 GS auto. So i was wondering whether i can just use all the manifolds and sensors from the 90 GS engine. Same applies to the auto trannies, are they the same or compatible? im aware of the OBD issues but figured since the longblocks are essentially the same, i could pull this one off without much trouble.
My biggest concern is the tranny, is it worth putting in another auto tranny because my search for a good manual cable tranny hasnt been successful and there are tonnes of auto trannies out there for cheap.
basically, the current auto trans will not shift out of second gear, but all the others work fine. so the car can only drive up to about 45-50 mph. The transmission is actually a JDM auto with no overdrive so it was awsome for the track but i guess it has seen better days.
Any info regarding this would be great, thanx.

whtteg
12-07-2004, 10:05 PM
I would try to find a 94-95 intake manifold instead of using the 90 intake manifold. The 90 Im will be choking the motor. Actually the 98 IM will work as well, you just don't need the sensor that is on the very top of the throttle body. In other words switch the throttle bodies. As far as trannies go, I am at a loss of information for you. I don't think the 98 auto tranny will work for you, not sure though. I do know that the auto trannies 94+ have a ECU just for the tranny, so I would bet that the trannies are not interchageable, they will bolt up but I am not sure if they are interchangeable form an electronics standpoint.

QuikShifter
12-07-2004, 10:41 PM
yeah, somebody told me that the 90-91 manifold was the reason the engine made 10hp less than the 92+ design. i'll keep that in mind but will i be able to just use the 98 longblock and retain my current stuff without running into issues?
Ive thought of doing a 5-speed swap but so far ive had better luck finding a pedal assembly than a cable tranny or shift linkage!
I really need to get something concrete on this tranny issue because id hate to have a running car which doesnt drive !

whtteg
12-07-2004, 10:43 PM
Go here and register, you will find a lot of helpful info.
www.g2ic.com (http://www.g2ic.com)

QuikShifter
12-12-2004, 08:26 PM
anybody with teg tranny specs, list etc. could i get away with the 98 intake manifold and just swap out the sensors or are they completely different?

whtteg
12-12-2004, 10:12 PM
I would try to find a 94-95 intake manifold instead of using the 90 intake manifold. The 90 Im will be choking the motor. Actually the 98 IM will work as well, you just don't need the sensor that is on the very top of the throttle body. In other words switch the throttle bodies. As far as trannies go, I am at a loss of information for you. I don't think the 98 auto tranny will work for you, not sure though. I do know that the auto trannies 94+ have a ECU just for the tranny, so I would bet that the trannies are not interchageable, they will bolt up but I am not sure if they are interchangeable form an electronics standpoint.

Check the 2nd post form the top ^^^^ already asnwered that for you. Now what kind of spec ar eyou looking for on the trannies? Still wanting to know if you can put a DC chasis auto tranny in a DA chasis teg?

Add your comment to this topic!