Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Can't bleed brakes?

deltuffo
12-07-2004, 06:46 PM
My mother has her car at the dealer for a new master cylinder. They tell her they can't bleed the brakes so it will be an additional $600.

Does this sound right?

TIA :grinyes:

Hansnet
12-08-2004, 01:20 AM
ha ha ha ha ha

Dont let the stealerships take advantage of her. $20 job.

auto trainy
12-08-2004, 05:54 PM
wow! a dealership that just can't bleed the brakes,that sounds suspicious.Are you giving all the facts?

otrouno
01-25-2005, 06:22 PM
Newb poster here (for that matter, this is the first car I've ever owned), and I have a 1990 Delta 88 Royale. I know it is possible to bleed brakes yourself, I just would like to know how. My roommate told me he could do it, but he said something about Needing to bleed them in a certain order as they are all connected. If someone would please fill in the gaps in my information, I would be appreciative. Thank you much. I called around places in my area (Dobbs, local places, etc.) And they range in price $85-$89, but the post said it's a $20 job. Please me out. Thanks

byurko
01-25-2005, 07:53 PM
Disclaimer: I haven't bled the brakes on my 88 yet, but have done it on numerous other cars.

Start at the furthest wheel from the master cylinder. Have a friend pump the brakes to pressurize the system, open the bleed valve on the caliper. (I usually attach a hose to direct the fluid into the pan) Keep an eye on the fluid level in the reservoir and add fluid as needed. Keep pumping the brakes until you see the clean fluid coming out.

Next, go to the next furthest wheel from the master cylinder and repeat.

Only use freshly opened brake fluid - it absorbs moisture from the air and becomes less effective.

Bryan

Hansnet
01-25-2005, 08:38 PM
Newb poster here (for that matter, this is the first car I've ever owned), and I have a 1990 Delta 88 Royale. I know it is possible to bleed brakes yourself, I just would like to know how. My roommate told me he could do it, but he said something about Needing to bleed them in a certain order as they are all connected. If someone would please fill in the gaps in my information, I would be appreciative. Thank you much. I called around places in my area (Dobbs, local places, etc.) And they range in price $85-$89, but the post said it's a $20 job. Please me out. Thanks

yes it was a misprint. It is really a 50 dollar job if you do not have ABS, and if you do it will cost quite a bit more. If you have ABS you must have it BENCH BLED.

back2life
01-26-2005, 09:37 PM
i would just like to add to what brian said :take full pumps slowly,hold as said and slowly crack open the bleeder/ with hose dipped into jar of fresh fluid,when pedal reaches floor, close bleeder and repeatuntil no more bubble appear in the jar from the hose. p.s. take your time and you should be ok

Add your comment to this topic!