Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

fuel pump noise

cooper5
12-07-2004, 04:09 PM
My fuel pump started making a constant noise the other day. My truck doesn't run any different but the noise of the fuel pump got a lot louder. Has anyone ever had this happen before? Is my pump on the way out or is my filter plugged? My truck is a 97 tahoe with the 5.7 litre.

gurrzt
12-09-2004, 02:23 PM
It sounds to me that your fuel pump is going bad, I had a 95 Astro van, and the fuel pump started making a louder noise, 3 months after I needed to replace the pump.

cooper5
12-09-2004, 04:14 PM
I changed my fuel filter today but that didn't help. My truck isn't running any different but the pump sure is louder. Can you replace just the pump or do you have to replace the whole unit ? My napa dealer says he can get just the pump but two other stores told me I have to replace the whole thing.

cooper5
12-14-2004, 09:37 PM
Well I dropped my tank today and took out the pump. The pump my napa dealer got me fits. $150. Better than the $450 the other parts store told me I had to spend. I didn't get it all back together yet but so far so good. The filter on the pump was really dirty. There's two filters inside the tank. One is on the whole unit and one is inside just on the pump. The one on the pump was really bad. I'll give an update to see if the pump works. It could save a few hundred bucks.

cooper5
12-16-2004, 04:03 AM
The new pump works perfect. I wonder how many people where told they had to change the whole module instead of just the pump. No doubt some of the trucks are like that but I'm glad I looked into it a little more.

audio112
12-21-2004, 03:55 PM
i had the same problem in my 96 tahoe 5.7 , abt a year ago i bought one from a auto parts store abt 2 days later it died , i exchanged it again it did the same thing . then i changed the filter and blow out the lines and put a new one in . the same happened . so i went to the dealer and pick up the one for the truck it was abt 150.00 or 200.00 . it has been runin every since .

Add your comment to this topic!