Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

key sticks in ignition

cpickering
12-07-2004, 02:12 PM
I have a 97 S 10 4x4. I have seen my problem posted before, but never saw a definitive answer. A few times a week, totally randomly, the key will turn only to the off position, but not to lock. Needless to say I can't get it out when that happens. Sometimes it will come out after sitting for a few minutes and sometimes it takes several hours to "release". It almost seems as if it is something electrical. The key operates very smoothly and the steering wheel is tight with no sloppy play or anything. Any thoughts anyone?? I've tried all the standard giggling, restarting, pushing on the gearshifter, etc. etc. etc....

erskin
12-07-2004, 07:32 PM
Have you tried replacing the ignition switch itself? :confused:

cpickering
12-07-2004, 08:14 PM
I haven't done any repairs yet, as money is an ongoing issue, being that I am a poor broke college student. I am hoping to repair the thing causing the problem on the first try. I really hate these intermittant problems.

Rev It Up 600
12-12-2004, 06:32 PM
This sounds like what has been going on with one of my vehicles for a couple years. When I turn the truck ('93 S-10 Blazer) off, many times the key would not go to "Lock" to be able to remove the key. If I take the gearshift lever (auto on column) with my left hand and pull it furhter into park, the key will turn to lock and come out. 2 more signs of this problem are the button on the dash for the rear window release won't energize the solinoid to unlock the window unless the shift lever is all the way to the left while in park. The last problem associaated with this is the back-up lights don't light unless it is a certain position, very close to park. Lide I said, this has been going on for a couple years, and my family has learned to live with it.
I imagine it has to do with a switch under the steering column (something like the neutral safety switch), but since it still works, I've been in no hurry to clumb under there and fix it.
Check these things out on yours and see if they are the same. If so, just remeber to pull or push the lever all the way to the left in park.

Add your comment to this topic!