Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Automatic trans prob

Shadetreeme
12-07-2004, 12:47 PM
I have a automatic trans prob. I take great care of my car and don't speed. I was on the freeway trying to pass someone whan my car started to slow down! It didn't want to get into passing gear. At that time it started to click click click until I took my foot off the gas. When I got home I check the trans oil. It was fine (clear and no metal shavings) thank God! I have no other prob with the trans going up onto the freeway. I am going to take it to get a diagnostic this weekend. Any idea or anyone experience this too? I have an 02 Impala 3.8.

ranger
12-28-2004, 11:50 AM
I have also had this problem. I took it to the dealer for a diagnostic and received no information on the problem. They seemed to think it wasn't a problem. This problem started occurring at around 55,000 miles. It now has around 58,000 miles. It IS getting worse. Any luck finding out what is causing the hesitation while the car accelerates??

Shadetreeme
12-28-2004, 12:02 PM
ranger
I have found out that it was a combination of probs. First it was my Rev Limiter went out. It kept my engine from using its full power. And my Catalytic Converter was clogged. It kept making my car feel like I was towing someone with a rope! Every time I put more gas the more it slowed down. I have no problems now. Good luck!

ranger
12-28-2004, 12:10 PM
So, take it to a muffler shop, or should I have the dealer do the work (OEM)? Hard to believe a cat. converter can get plugged that early. But, it sounds like a very probable cause for my problem. Never would have thought of it.

Thanks,

Shadetreeme
12-28-2004, 12:18 PM
I took my car to a Tans shop. Thinking it was a Trans prob. I have 126k on my car. The Mechs said the same thing. They didn't think it would get clogged to soon. I had to pay out of pocket $450.00. My warranty was up a looooong time ago! If you are under warranty got to a dealer.

Add your comment to this topic!