Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Newbie, S10 283 SBC

mrl
12-06-2004, 05:55 PM
I am a newbie, this is my second post.

I am in the process of rebuilding a 283 sbc to swap into an S10 pickup. This is my first swap and this project/vehicle will be my everyday beater(I have somewhat of a limited budget for this project, since I am also rebuilding a 1962 Pontiac Stratochief with a 350 LT1 clone).

The 283 will retain stock heads and pistons. The intake will be a four barrel(around 600 cfm, I guess) aluminium intake manifold, aftermarket ignition and headers. I will probably upgrade the oil, water and fuel pumps. The S10 will be 2WD, short box, reg. cab, with a 5 speed standard shift tranny(from Z28 or whatever), around 3.50-3.70 in the diff(posi). My questions are the following:
Carb: vaccuum secondary or double pump, is 600 cfm about right;
Intake: single or dual plane;
Heads: port and polish? I have read that for street/low-mid RPM this has insignificant effects;
Valvetrain: here is my big question: I have the "old" cam from the 350(actually, it is almost brand new) which I will eventually be replacing by a roller hydraulic, I is a hydraulic from Crower or Comp Cams: 288 degrees with .480". Is this "too much cam" for my 283. If so, what would be a "better" cam(specs.) to use for this application. Would roller rocker arms with higher ratio be any help or should I just stay with the stock rocker arms?

Please feel free to add any other comments.
Thanks,
MRL

OverBoardProject
12-06-2004, 08:42 PM
vaccuum secondary 600cfm sounds ok, there should be charts somewhere on the net
dual plane is better on the road
port the heads, they say that polishing doesn't really help, and might actually hurt performance
look at the cam spec's then decide, it makes a difference weather it's auto or standard, and what the torque converters stall is. Plus how you like to drive

have fun, it sounds like it would be a blast to drive

Add your comment to this topic!