Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Alternator upgrade?

jl_tulane
12-06-2004, 05:25 PM
Ok, so here's the dilemma:

I have and '03 5.3L and I have upgraded my stereo system. I added a 500 watt amplifier (2 ohms total), and a 1 farad capacitor.

When I turn it up my headlights and dashlights dim with bass hits, even with the help of the cap. I thought I hosed something up at first so I asked around and a friend of mine said his 4.8L does the same thing. I asked a reputable stereo installation shop and they said the only fix would be to drop in a 6.0L, because they have a better alternator.

I looked on Autozone's website and their replacement alternator for a 5.3L is 105 amps, and for a 6.0L is 145 amps. Also 145 for the 5.3L Tahoe, that is kind of a surprise to me, I thought it would be the same as the same size truck. Anyway, I guess my question is, can I just drop in a 145 amp alternator and not fry anything? Does anybody have experience doing anything like this? Any other suggestions?

Slowprocess
12-06-2004, 06:01 PM
Ok, so here's the dilemma:

I have and '03 5.3L and I have upgraded my stereo system. I added a 500 watt amplifier (2 ohms total), and a 1 farad capacitor.

When I turn it up my headlights and dashlights dim with bass hits, even with the help of the cap. I thought I hosed something up at first so I asked around and a friend of mine said his 4.8L does the same thing. I asked a reputable stereo installation shop and they said the only fix would be to drop in a 6.0L, because they have a better alternator.

I looked on Autozone's website and their replacement alternator for a 5.3L is 105 amps, and for a 6.0L is 145 amps. Also 145 for the 5.3L Tahoe, that is kind of a surprise to me, I thought it would be the same as the same size truck. Anyway, I guess my question is, can I just drop in a 145 amp alternator and not fry anything? Does anybody have experience doing anything like this? Any other suggestions?

I'm pretty sure you can just drop it in. The belt size will be different, because when I went to purchase a new belt for my truck, they ask me if I had the 105 or the 145 amp alternator. I've also got to upgrade soon with all the things I have running off of my electrical system now.

calgary_redneck
12-06-2004, 06:29 PM
Take out the big stereo;)

mjgjr72
12-06-2004, 06:58 PM
do some online hunting, a lot of places sell high output altenators, i had to find one for my 2000 5.3 silverado after i did stereo, found a 200amp that bolted right up and used an adapter plug for wires, u will also have to run a larger wire for alt output to battery

try here
http://www.4alterstart.com/pages/store/skudetail.nhtml?profile=alternators&uid=15654&returnURL=http%3A//www.4alterstart.com/alternators

cut and paste
http://www.4alterstart.com/pages/store/skudetail.nhtml?profile=alternators&uid=15654&returnURL=http%3A//www.4alterstart.com/alternators

gschretter
12-06-2004, 07:44 PM
Get a powermaster alt 200 amps or more for about $400.00.

Look on ebay.

Tell the retard who told you to put in a 6.0l that I power two winches and over 12 off road lights with my alt on my jeep and I only have one battery and a 140 amp alt from powermaster.

If this guy is into steros and he told you this I hate to see his installs.

Please give him on bitch slap from me.

Slowprocess
12-06-2004, 11:14 PM
I'm running two big amps, my digital gauges, my electric fans, and my electric cutouts off of my stock alt. and dry cell battery and I only have headlight dim when my compressor comes on. I'm about to install my three other digital gauges and will be running a nitrous system off of it, when I get to where the truck won't go any faster on motor. I'm going to see what it will take. :biggrin:

chcknugget
12-07-2004, 01:29 AM
do some online hunting, a lot of places sell high output altenators, i had to find one for my 2000 5.3 silverado after i did stereo, found a 200amp that bolted right up and used an adapter plug for wires, u will also have to run a larger wire for alt output to battery

try here

So do stock 4.3's, 5.3 and 6.0's use the same 105A alternator? That's what this site seems to suggest.

mjgjr72
12-07-2004, 01:59 AM
So do stock 4.3's, 5.3 and 6.0's use the same 105A alternator? That's what this site seems to suggest.
i'm not positive but there are 105 and 150amp model, the 150 are for the the models with all the power goodies like my lt silverado, but i'm pretty sure they use the same 2 bolt pattern to mount, if in doubt call the number and ask them, the one i got bolted right up and came with an adapter for the alt plug, i also had to get a 4 gauge wire and the next smaller pulley since my truck idles at 500rpm

buttnekked
12-08-2004, 03:04 AM
since this came up; had to buy an alternator LAST NIGHT. stock is 105 with 5 and 3/8 pulley option was 130 with 5 and 3/4 pulley. These were listed at the local advance store. Now If you have a 105 and want to use a 130 you can either go with the longer belt which they list as well or just use the pulley from your 105. Pulley is easily changed with impact. Also since it's only at bass hits have you considered multiple capacitors? Been along time since I installed any big systems but I think (???) it will work.

jeverett
12-08-2004, 08:23 AM
Also, one more thing that popped into my head. How big of gauge wire are you using to wire the amp/cap?? That makes a HUGE difference. I'd suggest at the least, 4 gauge, if not 2.

chcknugget
12-08-2004, 09:01 AM
buttnekked, by chance do you have the part number of the alternator you just bought?

jl_tulane
12-08-2004, 09:31 AM
Thanks guys, as always you are very helpful.
I used 4 gauge wire from the battery to the amp, and I am pretty sure that I have more than enough capacitance (I think rule of thumb is 1 farad per 1000 watts, so I have more than enough).
I am going to look into getting the delco 150 amp alternator if it is a bolt-in, because I would like to keep everything at least looking stock. If that is not an option I guess I will try out changing the pulleys.

buttnekked
12-08-2004, 12:01 PM
here ya go nugget: the alternator is P8238 and the shorter belt was 923k6. Just as a side note when reinstalling the belt work from the bottom up and leave the alternator for the last point when you pull the tensioner forward.

wrench83
12-27-2004, 09:11 PM
I am going through the same problem right now I run a 1500whatt RMS amp to two subs and another 1000whatt RMS amp fo the doors and just before my ears really start to hurt the lights olmost turn off.
I found a local auto parts place that will take my alternator and redo the windings to bring it up to 165amp for around $100 sounds like a good deal and i know it can be done because I have rebuilt starters and alternators before, it's not that hard.
Good Luck.

NWChevyGuy
12-27-2004, 10:00 PM
Has anyone with a 8.1 replaced the AD-230 alternator with a larger bodied/higher amp AD-240 alternator? Does it bolt right in or do you need a new alternator bracket to get the larger alternator to clear the electric throttle module?

Nigel215
12-28-2004, 11:50 AM
Im gettin ready to hook everythin in my system up. Im just adding a 320W amp to push my subs... Will I need a different alternator for this? My headlights already dim a little bit when I use my power windows.

Add your comment to this topic!