Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 Bonneville with shaking front end.

fritcr
12-06-2004, 10:40 AM
I guess my thread got closed because of how old it was. Anyway, I'm still having trouble with my bonnie shaking in the front end. I have the 16 inch honeycomb wheels that 3 tire places swear they are not bent. I have put new tires on it. Now they have about 5k on them and I have rotated them and balenced them so many times I can't even count. I have brand new rotors on it. Had it checked out by 2 pont dealers and 2 mechanics and 3 tires places. No one has a clue what is wrong. I out of ideas so we just let her shake. Sometimes it gets so bad that the hood shakes up and down esp on the passenger side. This is stupid. Most of the people that look at it say it didn't shake with them. A few said yes it does but they don't know why. It is getting so many miles on it now I guess I just forget it unless someone has another suggestion. Oh yeah..had the front end aligned 2 times since I bought it too. It has 106k on it now.
Thanks!
Rob

Sledder991
12-18-2004, 11:21 AM
I feel your pain. I have done exactly what you have done with the same results. I cannot believe that someone doesn't have a fix for this. It seems as though I read something somewhere about the hubs on some models being out of round. I wouldn't know how to check for this but it would possibly explain the vibration and shudder. Any ideas?

wafrederick
12-18-2004, 12:18 PM
Did you get the rotors checked on a brake lathe?Sometimes new rotors can be warped.My father checks new rotors is they are warped.Only had 2 new rotors warped bad and had to be sent back for new ones.

otto034
12-20-2004, 10:49 PM
I guess my thread got closed because of how old it was. Anyway, I'm still having trouble with my bonnie shaking in the front end. I have the 16 inch honeycomb wheels that 3 tire places swear they are not bent. I have put new tires on it. Now they have about 5k on them and I have rotated them and balenced them so many times I can't even count. I have brand new rotors on it. Had it checked out by 2 pont dealers and 2 mechanics and 3 tires places. No one has a clue what is wrong. I out of ideas so we just let her shake. Sometimes it gets so bad that the hood shakes up and down esp on the passenger side. This is stupid. Most of the people that look at it say it didn't shake with them. A few said yes it does but they don't know why. It is getting so many miles on it now I guess I just forget it unless someone has another suggestion. Oh yeah..had the front end aligned 2 times since I bought it too. It has 106k on it now.
Thanks!
Rob
check grease buildup inside the rims from ball joints! grease drips from ball joints on inner of rims dirt collects,throws wheel off balance!

jose54
12-26-2004, 10:17 PM
I had the same situation going on with mine, I resigned myself to the fact that no matter what I did, the best I could was reduce the shaking.
I also had a problem where my traction control light would light during highway driving. I did everything I could to remove that problem, nothing worked.
Recently, I had my engine check light up and every time I took it in it would not light, I wondered if the unit would hold error codes.
The last time it lit, I happened to be by an Auto-Zone and had it read, it came up as a camshaft position sensor problem. Took it in, got it replaced, no more shaking, no more engine light, no more traction control failures, welcome to the twilight zone.

randman1
12-28-2004, 10:16 PM
If these shaking problems are felt during acceleration and really get going around 48-50 MPH then you probably need an alingment.

If the shake is felt while coasting then the first thing I would do is balance and rotate all 4 tires. This is to find out if the shake has moved to a different corner indicating that the problem is a wheel or tire. While you have the wheels off, test the suspension parts like ball joints, tie rod ends, ect.

fritcr
07-24-2005, 03:27 PM
I'm still having problems with this thing shaking. It is better. I just put new calipers on it and that made the shake better. It is shaking from the front passenger side. From that wheel. It has had new tires, front end alighments and tire balences galore. New brakes and new rotors and now new calipers. I have had all of the suspension parts checked. It has 117k on it. I'm beginning to wonder if it is something in the transmission. If you get going like 75 and kick it into neutral it will still shake so it is not the engine. I'm at a loss.
Rob

Add your comment to this topic!