Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

s10 won't start.

mpschooley
12-06-2004, 10:31 AM
I have a 2000 s10 and it seems if its cold outside and the truck has a quarter tank of gas or less it won't start.

I've already tried dry gas and gas line antifreeze with no change this started last winter.

the starter cranks and it almost turns over. the battery is less then a year old. the alternater and starter have been tested and came up good.

Thanx in Advance

Mike

Mikado14
12-06-2004, 10:40 AM
I have a 2000 s10 and it seems if its cold outside and the truck has a quarter tank of gas or less it won't start.

I've already tried dry gas and gas line antifreeze with no change this started last winter.

the starter cranks and it almost turns over. the battery is less then a year old. the alternater and starter have been tested and came up good.

Thanx in Advance

Mike

If it always does this when it reads a quarter tank or less, don't run it that low. You may find that the guage is probably off and your pump is having difficulty picking up fuel.

mpschooley
12-06-2004, 02:30 PM
If it always does this when it reads a quarter tank or less, don't run it that low. You may find that the guage is probably off and your pump is having difficulty picking up fuel.

does it make sense that this only happens in cold weather?

dmbrisket 51
12-06-2004, 04:26 PM
no, it doesnt, but my back breaks lock if i barly touch them when its wet, makes no sence to me because ive checked and blead and done every thing i can short of changeing everything, make sence? no, but isi it the way it happens sometimes? yes.

chcknugget
12-06-2004, 07:23 PM
hahaha,
dmbrisket my brakes lock up really hard with no effort when its wet out too. What the heck?

Could it be your fuel pump doesn't have enough psi?

dmbrisket 51
12-06-2004, 10:27 PM
i think if it was a psi issue it would do it on warm days too not just cold, on the days it does this, is there a prime charge heard? you kno the buzz when you turn the key but before you go all the way over. if not its a long shot, but i would go and say maby you have a wirle lose/not a good connection, and the cold is making it shrink up and lose its contact, otherwise wow, its got me, go to a local shop (the one with the compitent employees not the ones full of bs) and sound like you need a new fuel pump, tell them your problem and see their responce, cant hurt to try

Mikado14
12-07-2004, 10:53 AM
no, it doesnt, but my back breaks lock if i barly touch them when its wet, makes no sence to me because ive checked and blead and done every thing i can short of changeing everything, make sence? no, but isi it the way it happens sometimes? yes.

Adjust your brakes a little, the adjusters suck and do not adjust properly. Have the same problem on my '93, I do about 6 clicks and it is fine until the next time.

vtmecheng
12-07-2004, 02:39 PM
As for the starting problem, I have no clue. With the breaks, mine does it also and it is a result of rust on the rear drums. When wet out a small film of rust is created, doesn't take much, which closes the gap between the pads and drums. Remember that drum pads don't contact the drums when not activated, unlike disk breaks. This is also the reason the breaks return to normal after a few stops. Hope this clears it up.

crazyreactor
12-15-2004, 01:15 PM
I'm having the same exact problem as you, mpschooley! I'm searching online for some solutions and came across this thread.
2000 s-10, won't start if it's really cold outside unless there's more than half a tank of fuel in there. radio will come on, lights work, engine will turn over for a second then I hear this fast clicking sound. Already had the starter and battery replaced. Everything works fine when it's not so cold out....you ever figure out what was causing yours?

BlazerLT
12-15-2004, 04:39 PM
does it make sense that this only happens in cold weather?

You have a bad battery and/or alternator.

When it is cold, the battery loses voltage due to a reduction in the chemical reaction that creates the voltage.

Get your battery LOAD tested and if you have a voltmeter, go and check the battery voltage with the truck off and when it has been started.

AustinJ!
12-19-2004, 11:04 AM
I also have a 2000 blazer with same problem(sort of). First winter I've owned it, and had a very cold night 2 nights ago. Battery died. I replaced it, and the vehicle will turn over, but will not start now. There is a full tank in it. I was told that when you replace the battery there is a certiain sequence you need to do involving turning the key off and on a certain # of times to get the computer to re-set itself. Anyone heard of this?

BlazerLT
12-19-2004, 11:29 AM
Not really needed, removing the battery for anything longer than 10 minutes usually will reset it.

Check your battery voltage with the truck off. It should be no less than 13.4volts or so.

rlith
12-19-2004, 12:56 PM
We usually call that 1/4 tank syndrome.. It's not really a cold related issue most times. When this happens are you parked nose tipped at a downward angle? If so it's because the pump intake isn't sucking gas. This is a typical prob on our trucks.

taylorscabin
12-25-2004, 10:36 PM

Thanx in Advance

Mike

i have an s10 and it does the same thing. ive replaced the pump and i can pull the injector out and it gets fuel but wont spray though the injector. i think it may be a wiring prob.

BlazerLT
12-26-2004, 04:12 AM
Probably a plugged poppet valve at the end or insufficient fuel pressure caused by a defective fuel pressure regulator.

Add your comment to this topic!