lincoln guys help me out! please!

pitbullgst
12-05-2004, 08:30 PM
hey guys this is the project i got going. i have a 85 mazda rx 7 with a low power rotary in it that is pretty much dead. i am doing a v8 swap into it and want to go fuel injected 5.0 HO if possible. what are the best years for your car as far as power and reliability? also what are the different types of fuel injection these cars come with? and which is better as far as power modding goes??

Please email me at pitbullgst@hotmail.com

if you have any specs or sites for me to check out. thanks in advance!

Towncar
12-07-2004, 01:55 PM
Why not stay with the Rotary? It seems to me that you be spending quite a bit more $$ to retrofit a larger, heavier engine into a frame that wasn't designed to handle all that. Not that it can't be redesigned.

Rotary's kick ass when their built right, and maintained. Check into ceramics for better wearability.

Here's one of many dealers (http://www.rotorsportsracing.com/performancetuning/engine_parts.htm)

Not to knock the 5.0 either, that's one gas suckin, mean mofo.

pitbullgst
12-07-2004, 05:51 PM
a swap kit only cost 250 bucks. a rotary only get 16 mpg and the 13a which is in my car makes around 120 horsepower brand new. it has 180,000 miles on it. beside a v8 is much easier to build reliable power from. in my opinion rotarys are a good theory and idea but that is all. they do not do what i want to do for the money i want to use. i could have a 300 plus horsepower v8 in my rex for less than 1500$ try that with a rotary. i would happily trade you engines :) fair and square! seriously though can someone give me some info on the original question?

Antiburn
12-07-2004, 09:39 PM
Well no marks were 5.0's they were 4.6 or .8's I can never remember. The 93-95 had I belive 280 hp and 285 tq and the later versions had about 5 more hp and tq.

pitbullgst
12-08-2004, 03:04 AM
what about the mark 7 lsc's? i thought they had 5.0's or 5.0 ho in them?

Antiburn
12-09-2004, 03:52 PM
Not 100% sure but they might have. I dont know mucha bout the 7's, just the 8's

probmxer426
12-15-2004, 04:44 PM
I own a lincoln mark 7. It has a 5.0 HO EFI. These engines are very reliable and have alot of stock power. I cut off my exhaust and added a cold air intake and I can beat any stock mustang in town. Lots of power and reliability, I would go for this engine if you are looking for a good V8. My mark 7 is a 92, but i believe that the 88-92 all have the 5.0 in them. I would shoot for the 92 though cause it is more up to date on how the fuel injection works and it is very easy to work with

lincoln_mark_8
12-18-2004, 04:21 PM
I would put the 4.6 DOHC in it. It has four valves per cylinder to start with, prob lighter and smaller and it has on-plug-coils. No timing to mess with the hook the computer and go. My 97 pulls 15.1 in the quarter stock so Imagine what a small car could get with that much power.

pitbullgst
12-18-2004, 04:28 PM
i would love to go with the 4.6. absolutely love too. but they don't make mount kits for it. my dad is getting to old to do much work for me and my fabricating skills leave a lot to be desired. I also heard the 4.6 was bigger but I don't see how unless they made the block thicker for strength or water jackets or something. I would also want to go with the dohc 4.6. how sweet! but even the older tech 5.0 will throw my car down a 1/4 like a rocket. later and thanks . . . . .

Huer
05-29-2005, 05:02 PM
The all aluminum 4.6 dohc IS lighter than the 5.0 and considerably more powerful.. Unfortunatelly you'd have to hack the $#*@ out of that mazda to get it to fit. Either motor would have it's front end dragging on the ground.. If you wanna put in a trans-brand motor into that little car why don't you do something like the 2.3 4cyl out of a T-bird Turbocoupe? or something like that?

paul_meets_mark
01-21-2006, 01:33 PM
Another possibilty if you want a ford motor in there.
You could get a 5L out of a 94-95 mustang. Im not 100% sure, but they probly weigh less than the older 302s. Just throwing that at ya. Or you could even go 4.6L but out of a mustang with SOHC. All those motors will be heavy in your car, but it'll move like a sonofagun.
Good Luck.

~Paul_meets_Mark

jamen89
01-23-2006, 06:08 PM
dude ihave a 1993 mark 8.it has a 4.6 if your looking for a 5.0 go with either a mark 7 or crown vick but u gotta relize that ur puting an engine that ways twice as much as ur rx7 engine n with this comes much more problems u will have to have a new drive shaft and it depends rly.your rx7 is light car so when you stomp on the gas if u make the swap alls ur gonna do is spin the tires n say you do make a swap you will most likely have to cut away some of the fire wall.but good lucj if ya do post pics i wanna c!:grinyes:

Add your comment to this topic!