Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

High mount 3rd brake light cleaning - 4th generation

Huffa
12-05-2004, 11:07 AM
Even the dirt in there bugs me, so I finally took the rear shelf - brake light panel off to clean it.

:disappoin Honda should have had a groove all the way around it with a rubber seal that inserted. It does not fit tight enough against window and a seal would have prevented any debri - dust from entering.

I've seen some Accords with bees, bugs & dirt in them including mine.

Here are the steps. You will need an 8 & 10mm wrench and sockets plus a dull flat blade screw driver and some patience for sure.

1) 1st pop the trunk and dissconnect (turn) bulb socket from light assembly and remove (just let hang) Remove the 2 gold 8mm nuts that are just below the light (one a few inches to L & R of bulb)

2) remove the 6 10mm nuts on the speakers. (3 per speaker) & disconnect plug. Speakers will simply lift out with a bit of jiggling. (sometimes the threaded studs bind against the holes a bit)

2.5) ATTENTION - the next steps when you are prying the panel up there are plastic plugs. Some pop right out while others may break!! If some do break - DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT!! Mine went back together fine with out reusing them and besides it will be much easier next time to remove!! The panel stays in place just fine.

3) now, take plastic lock trim ring off (where you insert the key). It just pops off with a dull screw driver tucked in to help. Then, flip rear seat down and carefully untuck (lift) panel out of where it tucks into the plastic trim.

4) here is the hard part - where the panel tucks into the window there are 3 plugs per side. You must reach in and find the approx location and pop them out of the metal with your hand. The 2 most outer ones on each side are the easiet while the 2 closest to the taillight are a real bugger! I actually broke them (inner 2) out of where they insert in to the panel BUT no need to worry as YOU REALLY DON'T NEED THEM! It took quite a bit of tugging to get those 2 out but once out the panel comes right off then with a bit of lifting and more jiggeling.

5) finally you can clean that stupid brake light (the black plastic)! It slides right of the panel.

Definitly no 1/2 hour job as it really sucks working in that area. You have to contort you body in all kinds of funky positions!!

To most it probably doesn't bother but to some that do, now you know whats involved!!

-Huffa

AccordCodger
12-05-2004, 11:30 AM
Thanks, Huffa. I may never want to get in there and go through that, but it's nice to know how!

Add your comment to this topic!