Key won't turn in ignition - 2001 Alero

ErikMesa
12-04-2004, 02:56 PM
I've got a 2001 Alero 4dr with about 62,000 miles on it. Good car for commuting and fairly reliable. Bumper to bumper warranty was extended at purchase to 100,000 miles. I bought the car new in late 2001.

Problem:

Ignition won't "turn" at all. I insert the key and it won't turn. I can't move it to accessory, start, on anything its locked there. The "dinger" bell indicating the key is in the car (with the door open) is sounding so I know it knows the key is in there.

I've tried both keys for this car (thinking maybe it was the chip or something in the key). Neither will turn in the ignition. This morning I used the car and it worked fine.

Car is in PARK, the emergency brake is set (also tried releasing it - nothing), the brake pedal has some play in it, everything is "normal" except the key won't turn in the ignition.

Anyone have a similar experience or any suggestions would be most appreciated. I'm going to have to have it towed into dealership on Monday would like to think its something simple?

Thanks,

ErikMesa
Mesa, Arizona

JTrujillo86
12-04-2004, 07:00 PM
This is a common issue on Alero's, Grand Am's and Malibu's. The ignition is bad. Has your "SECURITY" light recently come on? Anyway, at the dealer, they are about $300-$400. I had this happen on my old Malibu, but after trying it for a day or so, it started to work again, and I never had the problem after that.

Jeremy

ErikMesa
12-05-2004, 01:53 PM
The key actually wont turn thats whats so strange. When you say the ignition is bad do you mean the ignition module or is the key not even turning the common problem?

I'm not worried about the cost as I ran the warranty out when I bought it to 5 years 100,000 miles bumper to bumper (its a designated commuter car).

I haven't noticed any security light on lately although the stupid low tire pressure and service engine lights keep coming on regardless of what I do to it.

All in all its a decent car I'm very happy with it. This is the first real problem I've had with it in 60,000+ miles. Still I'm going to have to have it towed in and get a rental which doesn't sit well.

ErikMesa

michelq
12-05-2004, 02:25 PM
just make sure shifter is in park fully sounds like stiky shifter

chrisHtwn
12-26-2004, 03:24 PM
[My car has done that a few times but my problem would come in at turning tha car off the key would get stuck and wouldn't turn to the off position, so I would take my hand and hit the gear shift while in park and then the key would turn

vamc
03-30-2005, 12:56 AM
[My car has done that a few times but my problem would come in at turning tha car off the key would get stuck and wouldn't turn to the off position, so I would take my hand and hit the gear shift while in park and then the key would turn
I have a 99 olds alero and had the same prob. i have 115,100 milees on my car but anyways it is the tumblers inside the ignition. I bet you its that.

Add your comment to this topic!