Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'96 Sunfire Auto Trans Problems

Shacky
12-04-2004, 12:43 PM
Greetings all,
My girlfriend has a '96 sunfire with an automatic sealed trans.. As of yesterday we're having some problems with reverse not engaging, and a small axle leak that just started..

I've got the problem with the leak tackled with a new seal.. we're pulling the axle in two days with her dad (who is a mechanic for the army, so this should be interesting) and we'll replace the seal.

Now for the hard one.. Reverse.. There is enough fluid in the transmission for 1-4 but no reverse (acts like it's in N) so I'm sure there is more to this.. I need to find an exploded diagram of this transmission.. The chilton/haynes type manuals are crap, and the dealers wont let me take a quick look at any actual shop manuals to get some copies, etc.. soo, I come to you guys.. It's a stock automatic trans.

Any help would be VERY much appreciated.. Thanks,
Mike

public
12-04-2004, 09:15 PM
You need the Haynes or Chiltons manual for GM automatic transmission repair. It has all of the exploded drawings. The average home mechanic does not repair their tranny so that stuff is not included in the regular manuals. Good Luck.

Classicrocjunkie
12-04-2004, 09:48 PM
You need the Haynes or Chiltons manual for GM automatic transmission repair. It has all of the exploded drawings. The average home mechanic does not repair their tranny so that stuff is not included in the regular manuals. Good Luck.

even so they recomend that you not work on them since they are electronically controlled.. they show you how to check the fluid level and what not, but to work on them they say it should be serviced at a shop or somthing along those lines....haven't dabbled in mine reacently.

Shacky
12-04-2004, 11:28 PM
Thanks to both of you,
The person I'm helping to search is a pro w/transmissions.. He just hates the net and computers.. lol..

I'll take a look at ordering one of the manuals.. Thanks,
Mike

Add your comment to this topic!