Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Electrical problem, need advice (thanks in advance)

Off_Road
12-04-2004, 08:10 AM
Posted by destro_onpoint - 01-03-2004 at 08:35 PMim having a problem with my power windows. the only window that works is passenger side front. all controls on drivers side are dead including power mirror. power lock button works on drivers side but only for that lock. when i use keyless entry all locks engage/disengage but the drivers side. power window buttons on the back windows will not work. could it be a circuit breaker? fuse? cant check circuit breaker because i dont know what one it is or even where it is. Please help.

I am having almost the exact same problem with my 98 JGC Ltd (5.2). Except my driver side door lock/unlock switch does not respond. I don't have a repair manual. But I do have the owners manual, which is better then nothing until I can get to the public library.

With the small amount of guidance that has provided me I have checked all known fuses, circuit breakers, and maxi fuses. I have checked visibly and also felt for soft spots indicating a broken wire within the boot in the door jambs. I have been unable to find any obvious problem so far.

My g/f actually reminded me which I had forgotten; a couple of months ago were really the first sign of any problems. The memory system had failed. She has transmitter #2 and the memory system had failed apparently, but more or less kept my same settings (#1). So at the time I didn't think much about it, thinking her transmitter just probably needs a battery. Mine still (seemed) to be working fine and besides that she doesn't drive my Jeep that often.

Recently the driver’s side and both rear passenger doors lost all power suddenly, and then regained power back again almost as quickly. The next day power was lost again and has not been regained since. Only the front passenger door has power. Both the keyless entry remotes lock/unlock all doors except the driver’s door. The horn will chirp doing this, but the driver’s door will not be locked and the security system will not be armed. Opening the driver’s door and manually locking the door then closing it will cause the horn to chirp again and does arm the security system.

All indications keep leading me to think there might be a bad ground somewhere. But I've checked and reseated everything I could think of from the #7 maxi fuses in the power distribution center (also #11) to the J and K circuit breakers in the fuse panel and more.

I've pulled the drivers door panel and checked with a test light for power to the DDM. The tan hot power wire lights up the test light by grounding directly to the door and also through the black main ground wire connection. I removed the DDM from the door panel and attempted to use a VOM for testing purposes, but have no idea what readings I should expect.

Hoping the problem isn't the DDM part #56042463AC Dealer cost $258.00 if so it appears the passenger will be the only one having fresh air for a while . Would anyone know of a way to check the DDM conclusively without the use of a DRB?

Any and all comments/advice would be much appreciated.
Thank you.

p.s. would be very interested to know what destro_onpoint's final resolve actually was?
Could really use some help here guys. Any opinion whatsoever would really help me out here. Thanks again in advance.

Add your comment to this topic!