Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

RX-7 or 3000GT VR-4

Gonthrax
02-28-2002, 11:02 PM
Well, the time of decisions has come, I must decide if I want to
A. Stay here and make money.
B. Go to NZ, go to school.

But thats not what the discussion is about, if I stay here I am going to buy a new car. I am considering a 1993 RX-7 R1, and a 1992 3000gt VR-4. Now I'm not looking for who you think would win in a road race or drag race 'cause the 3000GT is modded and the RX-7 is not, so there is no point in debating that. What I am looking for is any opinions on these cars from people who have owned either one of um. Or even if you haven't let me know your opinion.
As far as I go, I'm leaning toward the RX-7, although the one I've found is more expensive then the VR-4, there are 3000GTs ALL OVER were I live, I am yet to see an RX-7. So I'd kindof like to be different from all the rice and such running around in which case I will probly choose the RX-7. There are two reasons why I would choose the VR-4 though, one is the RX-7s rotery engine. The closest place that I know of that deals with roteries on a regular basis is 4 hours away from me. The second reason is the VR-4 has AWD and I really like the 45/65 torque split ability :D

Anyhow, lemme know what you think. If you must know I'm stuck on the RX-7 just because I don't know of any that are in Bowling Green, but if someone shows me somthing compelling I may switch, the VR-4 was cheaper :silly:

gc1chad
02-28-2002, 11:17 PM
The VR-4 never got better than last place in a Car and Driver test. It also does not beat the RX-7 in any aspect of performance or looks.
RX-7 without a doubt!!!

NISSANSPDR
03-01-2002, 12:38 AM
RX-7 but be prepared to deal w/rotary engine rebuilds...the dealers themselves say that the engine will not last more than 60K miles...so when you have it rebuilt...get it rebuilt right...ie Petit Racing or Peter Farrell (not sure if they rebuild)

RX-7 better handler, lighter, faster stock vs stock, better looks, better brakes...just better!!!

:bandit:

Gonthrax
03-01-2002, 12:52 AM
Thanks for the info guys, keep it commin :)

As I said I favor the RX-7 and I'm leaning toward that, unless I do end up moving in which case it'll be an R32 GTR :D :D

TatII
03-01-2002, 09:35 AM
the bat~~ the baT~~~ nothing beats the sound of that twin turbo rotary. just listenin to it gets me soooooooo excited~~!! plus is a beautiful car and its light. but if your goin to NZ why not get a used R32 GT-R?

crayzayjay
03-03-2002, 04:53 PM
RX7

crayzayjay
03-03-2002, 05:04 PM
and I really like the 45/65 torque split ability

am i being really stupid, or does 45+65 = 110 :rolleyes:

gc1chad
03-03-2002, 07:09 PM
LOL, yeah I don't think that is possible.:hehehe:

Gonthrax
03-03-2002, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by crayzayjay

am i being really stupid, or does 45+65 = 110 :rolleyes:

Lol, no, I must have been smoking crack or somthin when I posted :D :D 45/45 :bloated:

Gonthrax
03-04-2002, 01:00 AM
Well, the bastard sold the RX-7 out from under me :( So I'm on the hunt agian. I've never bought a car that I had to search for so if anyone can offer me any tips on were to look they would be welcome :)

gc1chad
03-05-2002, 11:15 AM
Lol, no, I must have been smoking crack or somthin when I posted 45/45

Umm....Doesn't 45+45=90

Tom_S8
03-05-2002, 12:01 PM
Ok i'm the only one who voted for the VR4 for now , but the rotary engines are known to blow a lot , and they HAVE TO be replaced every 100 000 miles , but rarely they can do it , mostly they won't even do half of that , and if you're over 6 feet then you won't fit into the RX7 , and the VR4 is 4WD , and the engine is better IMO (maybe in performance not , but it also has big potential and lasts longer)

Ok , that's my 2 Euro cents

AEstud
03-05-2002, 01:48 PM
:bandit:

crayzayjay
03-06-2002, 07:32 PM
gc1chad>
I think thats what the :bloated: was about.. i noticed it but let it slip, thinking that he was kidding.. HOPING that he was kidding. :D

cheers,
jay

RSScamaro
03-06-2002, 10:15 PM
3rd gen rx-7 hands down without a doubt

NISSANSPDR
03-07-2002, 01:38 AM
And then you can dump alotta money into the car...get the triple rotor conversion...and run 550HP!!!

http://www.pettitracing.com/

http://www.pfsupercars.com/

Morpheus XIII
03-07-2002, 04:37 AM
If you're concerned about engine reliability, you can always plant in a 2JZ-GTE using the engine cradle (can't remember who did the swap, but the yellow bat was on the cover of a Turbo magazine a few months back).

I know it's sort of a sin to do that to an RX-7, but hey it's just another idea.

Gonthrax
03-08-2002, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Morpheus XIII
If you're concerned about engine reliability, you can always plant in a 2JZ-GTE using the engine cradle (can't remember who did the swap, but the yellow bat was on the cover of a Turbo magazine a few months back).

I know it's sort of a sin to do that to an RX-7, but hey it's just another idea.

Lol, I suppose that is a sin, I would be an outcast of the RX-7 community:D :D

Reliability IS an issue, but from what info I can gather, if I spend some money on reliability mods ie. Downpipe to get rid of the Pre-cat, new radiator, get rid of the AST that tends to crack and leak, that sort of thing, I should have a rock solid FC.

Now the only problem is finding a good one :bloated:

TatII
03-08-2002, 11:35 AM
its a FC that you want? not a FD? ooh then i change my mind ont eh poll. VR4 all the way~!

Morpheus XIII
03-09-2002, 04:12 AM
It says this up in the polling frame:
1993 RX-7 R1

The FD3S was introduced in 1993. I too thought you were referring to this RX-7, since the premier year FD can be had for a fairly good price. But honestly, if you do have the FC in mind, I say go for the FDs (plus, I'm pretty sure the FC3S Turbo II models are harder to find than the FD3S models).

But if you really can't get the FD, get the Mitsubishi. There are still tons of parts you can use for upkeep and modification. I've even seen a '90 VR-4 reskinned to look like the '97 (fixed headlighting).

91HBSi
03-14-2002, 08:06 AM
I am kind of biased because my brother has one, but I would go with the RX7. Whoever said that you have to replace them every 100k, that isn't true. Most the guys I know with them made it to 140k at least.

I like the RX7 for several reasons. It looks better IMO, It is the 2nd fastest braking car in production EVER, the rotary sounds beautiful, a couple hundred bucks and you are running in the 12's, and the handling is so insanly amazing I amost peed on myself when I rode in it for the first time :eek:

Morpheus XIII
03-15-2002, 12:15 AM
Righteous remarks on all counts. The FD Seven is also a better choice for appearance because its design is 3 years ahead of the VR-4. Oddly, the Mitsubishi has only received facelifts (but gets nicer every time), but no major chassis revamping. This raises the question, can a 10-year old structure really be considered to be a 'modern' car? True the Mazda is also from an aging design, but it had a better setup from the get-go. The Mitsubishi has an odd transverse mounted front-engined configuration sending power to all the wheels in the body of a beefy grand tourer. That setup should really be left to the compact sport sedans like the Evos. Still a great car (insanely fast too), but doesn't seem like too much time was spent in the engineering department. A simple pure body design like the FD3S yields natural road carving prowess, while a heavy technojunkie like the 3000GT depends too much on its gadetry (all-wheel-drive, four-wheel-steering) to stay on the track.

Of course, there is the possibility that a purpose built track car isn't what you want. Hell, I'd be frustrated if I had the cramped quarters and no back seats every single day, and had to pay higher insurance premiums for the same reason (at least, that's how it is where I live). And conversely on the all-wheel-drive bit I stated previously, maybe a prospective buyer doesn't want the risky oversteering nature of a rear-wheel-drive car.

As for reliability, I think both cars have it tougher than say, a Supra, but neither are as bad as people say. When it comes down to it, it's all about who you are and figuring out what your needs are. Then test drive everything you can get your hands on. :D

Gonthrax
03-15-2002, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by TatII
its a FC that you want? not a FD? ooh then i change my mind ont eh poll. VR4 all the way~!

OOps, I ment FD, sorry for the confusion :D

banchi105
03-15-2002, 01:18 PM
Personally I would choose the VR4

It was a totally kicken car ever since its introduction.
All wheel drive & steering will give you the traction to fly off the line
and hold corners far longer than anyone else could even dream of.

pretty reliable too from what ive heard.

TatII
03-15-2002, 01:49 PM
yeah the VR4 would be faster in the straights because 4WD launches. but the FD is just such a beautiful car. and the sound of the rotary singing. its just somethign that you can't hear from any other car. when you hear a RX-7 fly by. the sound is just incredible. it really stands out.

banchi105
03-16-2002, 06:45 PM
:alien: anybody know the original base price of this type of rx-7

im pretty sure the vr-4's was somewhere around ???$45,000???:smoka:

Add your comment to this topic!