Turbocharged R34 RB20DE engine

luckykl
12-03-2004, 03:08 PM
someone that has turbocharged the 2.0L r34 skyline,
any project details and results from the project ?

GTES-t
12-03-2004, 04:58 PM
Never seen a non-turbo'd RB20DE converted. It's just not worth it. The compression ratio/cylinder head/ecu/etc. are not designed for turbo, so it can only take ~6psi at most and requires to much work for it.
The prefered option is just to swap the engine for a turbo'd RB of choice or affordability.

RazorGTR
12-04-2004, 01:14 PM
Well I've seen it done on an R32 and R33 RB20DE and RB25DE motor but not an R34. I would imagine it is the same exercise there. Generally the head gasket is changed to a metal one of 1.2mm thick or thicker to help decompress the motor a bit more. Also the ecu, fuel pump, exhaust manifold, hosing, pluming for the turbo, intercooler, sometimes cams (N/A cams have more overlap which isn't good for turbo cars), then retuned.

Some results have been staggering some were not so good depending on the tuning, what was done. The best I've seen was an RB30DE done and dropped into a R32 GTS4 and it ran low 10's producing over 575hp, but on the flip side the increases were ok. Generally the performance levels were simular to a turbo with nothing done to it (factory turbo used). Overall it cost a lot more than it would have cost to sell the N/A and buy a turbo model.

Add your comment to this topic!