Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tapped into the 6x9's

12audiobahn
12-03-2004, 10:32 AM
just now got some subs and i'm waiting to get an amp and all that other stuff. i didn't want to wait for all that so i connected the wires from the subs to those of the sixby nines. what are the dangers of this and what is the worst thing that could happen?

Mannyb18b
12-03-2004, 02:42 PM
That is one of the most stupidest things i have ever heard :shakehead

tblake
12-03-2004, 03:27 PM
frying the internal amp in the deck, could be costly

loismustdie
12-04-2004, 07:26 AM
just now got some subs and i'm waiting to get an amp and all that other stuff. i didn't want to wait for all that so i connected the wires from the subs to those of the sixby nines. what are the dangers of this and what is the worst thing that could happen?

i know a couple people who have done this, the only danger would be hurting your sub because its playing all the high frequency's the 6x9's would be playing, but its not getting much power at all. are you running it at 4 ohms?

CBFryman
12-04-2004, 08:03 AM
you cnat hurt any sound repsorduction device to my knowledge by playing frequincies above its roll off range, below at high power, yes, above, no. all it is going to do is make the sub move as fast as it can with as much excusion as it can which will keep the voicle coil cooler than higher power at lower excursions.... as long as you wired in series there will be no damage to the amp because it would increase load and there for output wattage. you only problem is you are defeating the purpose of a sub, mids, and highs. your music will sound like its coming from behind cardboard because all speakers will be playing the same frequincies and your largest (woofers) will be playing frequincies well above their roll off range.

Add your comment to this topic!