dexcool or green antifreeze

oufan
12-03-2004, 01:10 AM
I have a 97 yukon should I keep dexcool in it or change to the green. The dealer said that it has a intake gasket leak and I want to have it flushed when it is changed. So which is best.

lodownlv
12-03-2004, 08:27 PM
it realy dosnt matter but dexcool lasts mutch longer and disipates heat better.

Mr. Peabody
12-06-2004, 04:52 PM
I beg to differ. It most certainly does matter. Your engine just like my 96 is designed to use dexcool which has a very different chemical makeup that the green. One of them (i believe it's the green )contains a silica compound If you put the green in after running the dex you will incur significant internal corosion.

Pay the few extra bucks for the Dex.

lodownlv
12-06-2004, 11:07 PM
that is the stupedist thing ive ever herd

Mr. Peabody
12-07-2004, 11:43 AM
Well first I think that you need to learn to spell the word stupid.

Next, I would suggest that you call any of your local radiator shops and ask them what happens if you mix the two. I realize that you were not suggesting actually mixing them however draining one or even flushing one will not remove all of it and there will indeed be a chemical reaction betweeen the two that will cause internal problems.

Oufan I would suggest that you at least call the dealer and ask them if there is any consequesce from replacing Dex with the green.

tonytone
12-07-2004, 01:32 PM
Well first I think that you need to learn to spell the word stupid.
Aren't you being a bit hypocritical with that comment, given that you apparently misspelled "Vortec" in the following post:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=327934

I mean, sheesh you've had that truck since '96 and you still somehow managed to spell "Vortec" with a "k"? :wink:

Just kidding, of course--please don't take it personally. My point is that one shouldn't necessarily ridicule someone on the Internet over something as trivial as spelling. :grinyes:

P.S.:--"ad" is also misspelled in your other post, but I'll attribute that mistake as being a typo...

Mr. Peabody
12-07-2004, 02:50 PM
Touche~ I stand corrected.

lodownlv
12-07-2004, 11:29 PM
ok first of all i cant spell for shit. Second of all i was saying it was stupid for you to say that if you mix the 2 that it will cause internal corosion because that is not correct. i never said you should mix the 2 it will cause gelling internaly. ask any gm cert tech or any person that deals with gm and they will tell you Dex Cool antifreeze. DexCool is silica free ,and was meant to be used in engines/cooling systems that had aluminum parts ,to extend THEIR life. I NEVER SAID YOU SHOULD MIX THEM. i said dex is better.
thanks

lodownlv
12-07-2004, 11:31 PM
ow and by the way i never mispelled vortec that was (Mr. Peabody). get it straight.

tonytone
12-08-2004, 01:47 PM
ow and by the way i never mispelled vortec that was (Mr. Peabody). get it straight.
Well if you read my post (#6 in this thread, IIRC) a bit more closely, you'll find that I wasn't referring--nor talking directly--to you at all.

In your own words, maybe you should "get it straight." :rolleyes:

Mr. Peabody
12-08-2004, 09:19 PM
ok first of all i cant spell for shit. Second of all i was saying it was stupid for you to say that if you mix the 2 that it will cause internal corosion because that is not correct. i never said you should mix the 2 it will cause gelling internaly. ask any gm cert tech or any person that deals with gm and they will tell you Dex Cool antifreeze. DexCool is silica free ,and was meant to be used in engines/cooling systems that had aluminum parts ,to extend THEIR life. I NEVER SAID YOU SHOULD MIX THEM. i said dex is better.
thanks

And if you also read my post (# 5 in this thread) carefully you will see that I indicated that I was NOT saying that you suggested MIXING the 2 but rather I was stating that draining or even flushing will not completely rid the system of all of it. And THUS you will have a problem when you switch to the other type.

Perhaps spelling & reading go hand in hand. :grinno:

lodownlv
12-09-2004, 02:14 AM
Perhaps you listen to someone that knows their shit read my last post's and you will see that i know a little somthing compared to your 12 post's

oufan
12-09-2004, 11:59 AM
Thank you all for your comments I had read in past forums about the dexcool corroding your motor thats why I wondered if I should change so thanks for the advice.

SGHETTO
12-10-2004, 01:52 AM
U could also get some info on the new extended-life product that Prestone offers that has all the benefits of dex but it also mixes with any color coolant. It comes in a yellow container ,it's limish -yellow in color,and its about the same price. Ive been using it about three months or so .No problems to post.

hitman98
02-09-2005, 10:18 PM
U could also get some info on the new extended-life product that Prestone offers that has all the benefits of dex but it also mixes with any color coolant. It comes in a yellow container ,it's limish -yellow in color,and its about the same price. Ive been using it about three months or so .No problems to post.

Antifreeze: Red or Green?

DexcoolŽ or regular antifreeze? Which antifreeze to use and why.

While it is ethylene glycol based antifreeze, the concern with mixing comes from the fact that there are very different chemical inhibitor packages in use. Most leading technologies will work very well when used as intended, typically at 50% in good quality water.

If the coolants become mixed with DexcoolŽ, however, one study showed a possible aluminum corrosion problem in certain situations. The other question is a concern for dilution of the protection packages. At what mix is the there too little of either inhibitor to protect the engine? As a precaution, both GM and Caterpillar instruct that contaminated systems must be maintained as if they contained only conventional coolant.

I would not use DexcoolŽ in a vehicle that did not come from the factory with DexcoolŽ in the cooling system. It would be very difficult, if not impossible, to flush out all the conventional anti-freeze coolant from the cooling system of an older vehicle, and any conventional anti-freeze would contaminate the DexcoolŽ.

Compared to old-fashioned phosphated antifreeze, DexcoolŽ may be more stable and improve water pump life. Evaluations of the two technologies to compare their respective service lives have found them comparable. In fact, a Ford Motor Company study concluded that organic acid coolants do not offer any significant advantages for the consumer over current North American coolants. In a modern car with a well-maintained cooling system, current North American and OEM factory fill coolant corrosion protection can be extended far beyond previous expectations.

So the bottom line is this, if your car came from the factory with DexcoolŽ, use DexcoolŽ for replacement or to top off. If your car came from the factory with standard "green" antifreeze, use that for replacement or to toping off. Case in point, DexcoolŽ has been known to cause head gasket and water pump failure on some Ford OHC V-8's.

just to help out

lodownlv
02-10-2005, 11:09 AM
great info!

Add your comment to this topic!