Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Super Strange starting problem-Help.

j.patelia
12-02-2004, 10:04 PM
I have a '01 white sonoma SLS (2.2 auto). Here's the scoop, when I start the truck on some days it cranks right up, but on other days, you hear the SPI injecting fuel, all dash lights turn on, voltmeter reads 12.4 volts, turn the key to start and you get nothing. Temperature does not seem to have a effect, it'll do it when hot or cold out. I'll try shifting between gears and try removing and reinstering the key; eventually it does start, but lately, it seems like it's taking longer to start. Swapped relays, same result. Checked all fuses and connectors, same result. Heck, I took it to the dealer and they even scratched their heads and said that it may take upto three weeks to find out why. Sorry, but I'm not letting my truck get away for three weeks. Thanks to all and sorry for the long story!

gbic1
12-02-2004, 10:17 PM
Ran accross this sam thing two months ago on a 97 sonoma. It had a loose ( and I dont know why) connection in the ignition switch connector under dash. I probley could have just tightend it but had already ordered a new on so I installed it. The pinch bolt was loose and it was making a int bad connection. It took some time to track down. I hope that helps.

sdime
12-03-2004, 09:31 PM
I have a '01 white sonoma SLS (2.2 auto). Here's the scoop, when I start the truck on some days it cranks right up, but on other days, you hear the SPI injecting fuel, all dash lights turn on, voltmeter reads 12.4 volts, turn the key to start and you get nothing. Temperature does not seem to have a effect, it'll do it when hot or cold out. I'll try shifting between gears and try removing and reinstering the key; eventually it does start, but lately, it seems like it's taking longer to start. Swapped relays, same result. Checked all fuses and connectors, same result. Heck, I took it to the dealer and they even scratched their heads and said that it may take upto three weeks to find out why. Sorry, but I'm not letting my truck get away for three weeks. Thanks to all and sorry for the long story!

IT MAYBE THE NURTAL SAFTY SWITH TO MAY LOOK IN TO IT YOU SAID IT WAS AN AUTO RIGHT

j.patelia
12-04-2004, 12:22 AM
Well, I know it wasn't the neutral start switch because the truck would never start in other gear except for neutral and park. But thanks for the input Sdime. GBic, you were right it was the stupid connector. Fixed it this morning and have not had start problems today at all! Thanks for the heads up!

BlazerLT
12-04-2004, 04:19 PM
sweet!

Add your comment to this topic!