Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Hard up/dn shift, PRND lights display wrong gear...

57HotrodVW
12-02-2004, 08:02 PM
Hi all,

I'm experiencing intermittent transmission problems with my 2000 Rodeo (V6 auto).

From time to time, the up and down shifts of the transmission are quite hard (1st to 2nd gear and vice versa). This issue does not occur all the time, and goes away after about 5 miles of driving. I've also noticed it when going into and out of passing gear when rapidly off the gas after the shift.

I visited the dealer today, and was told that I need a new transmission range switch and accelerator pedal position sensor.

Are these parts something that I can replace myself, and if so, does anyone have any tips or online links to addt'l info. The dealer quoted me ~$250-$275 for parts and labor on each item.

Thanks!
--Eric

2eyefishclaw
12-02-2004, 10:36 PM
search the site for post on the trans range switch it can be disassembled cleaned and reassembled
as far as the APP sensor more than likely just needs an adjustment infor them that you would like it to be adjusted to 11% and clear the DTC that more ethan likely will take care of that if not then replace it, it is a very easy job but the dealer will have to adjust it to 11% SUGGESTION WALK INTO THE SHOP TALK TO ONE OF THE GUYS ASK IF THEY DO ANY SIDE WORK one of them may be willing to do that and I am willing to bet it would be less than the shop rate

57HotrodVW
12-03-2004, 07:36 AM
Ahhh, found it. The posts in the following thread describe my problem exactly.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=256787

I think I'll take my range sensor off/apart this weekend and have a look at the internals.

I have a friend who used to be an Isuzu tech, so I'll see if he can set me up w/the pedal sensor.

Thanks!
--Eric

Add your comment to this topic!