Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

oil leak

sol brother
12-02-2004, 07:14 PM
i have a 97 gst. big 16g, fmic and suppoerting mods. whenever i punch it my car will blow the dipstick out and spray oil all over the head and exhaust manifold, causing it to smoke and stink. i just got new rings and had a valve job done. is there any way this could be the problem?

1stGenRocks
12-02-2004, 07:33 PM
try replacing the pcv valve. the dipstick popping out means you have pressure in the crankcase it's usually from bad rings. another cause is maybe your new rings havent seated completly yet. how long ago did you get the rings done? did you do all the recommended stuff to break them in?

sol brother
12-02-2004, 08:02 PM
i got them about three weeks ago. what are the break-in tips? im going to get a new pcv valve tomorrow, does it matter what kind?

1stGenRocks
12-02-2004, 08:08 PM
just get the one made for your car. they can look it up for you at autozone or napa or whatever. different people breakin rings different ways. kevin like to break them in hard and fast other people recommend keeping the boost as low as possible for a couple hundred miles to let the rings seat

personally i would just wire the dipstick in place for now so it doesnt spray and not worry about it for now. check the compression again in a couple hundred miles and it will probably be good

sol brother
12-02-2004, 09:01 PM
i havent gone full boost but 3 times since i got the rings, so i guess i did it the slow way. im going to replace the pcv valve tomm and i gues ill get some wire to hold the dipstick in. now that i have that figured out i have another problem. my car idles like shit. the revs are constant, but it just makes my whole car shake. as the rpms increase the shaking decreases until it stops at about 2k. could it be my motor mounts or what??

DSMJohn1G
01-18-2005, 04:32 PM
I have never had that problem with my Talon but one time my Neon was shaking really bad kind of like yours and come to find out that one of my upper motor mounts was bad and broken. If this is the case and your car is shaking then it is a possibility that your cars motor mounts have seen better days and need to be replaced before they break and do damage while driving. My Neon did it consistently I believe, not until just 2k but mine was completely broke so the engine was sorta moving around.

1stGenRocks
01-18-2005, 08:16 PM
DSMJohn: look at the post date before you post. usually we dont post on stuff over a month old unless somebody has another question related to it.

BTW nice car and welcome to AF

Add your comment to this topic!