Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Cold Air Intake ???

93speed
02-28-2002, 06:41 PM
Please excuse me if this sounds really dumb, since I'm new at this, but does putting a cold air intake really have THAT much of an impact on power? Just wondering...
Thanx for your help

VTECseoul
04-24-2002, 05:39 AM
yes it does...dyno tests are old about comparing the 2, but in all honesty it's only different by 2-3 wheel hp.

tynebeach
05-06-2002, 06:25 PM
yeah, tests have shown they do add horsepower, the most ive ever heard of though was like 6 hp.

Here's another question though, why does a new sport air intake work better than the stock air intake on cars?:confused:

archangelxtc
05-09-2002, 09:04 PM
Not only do they add a few horses at the wheels, but the AEM CAI sounds Grrrrrrrrrrreat!

1992civic
06-15-2002, 06:34 PM
anything that gives your engine more air is better. a stock air intake system restricts so much air. but it also depends what kind of intake you are getting. dc sports intake or an iceman intake are 2 good brands. they increase air flow by 60%... i also bought that stupid tornado fuel saver, ( i know thats stupid) and i had better throttle response at high rpms. it really works.

Civic98
06-19-2002, 07:50 PM
Yes it does give u good horsepower and also alot better sound......

Duatone
07-20-2002, 03:02 PM
if you get a plastic or carbon fiber intake, they will be about them ost heat resistant, anyways, your best bet is to get a CAI or a RAI since you only get a whopping 1HP with every 10 degree air difference.

tynebeach
07-22-2002, 06:43 PM
man those stats suck. guess its better than nothing though

BullShifter
09-06-2002, 02:05 AM
It doesn't matter how much air you get in the engine, its the velocity that matters. Short ram intake pretty much a waste as it sits there sucked all that hot air. Even the stock will flow cooler air. Cold-air or a ram-air set-up is the best way to go. There is a down side to that way also you could suck water in the engine & that aint to good

FREED0MFiST
09-23-2002, 11:43 PM
Alright i put an aem cai on my civic. I think it helps a tiny bit. A while ago i ran an 17.6 at night when it was like 65 degrees and i got a decent start, but not so great r/t. After installing the intake i ran it at the track in 100 degree weather and ran an 17.5 with a horrible start (2.7 60 footer). the weird part is, when i ran with the cai i hit the final trap at 5,000 rpm in 3rd, and when i hit the trap without the cai i was at 7000 rpm in 3rd. I guess i attribute the slower mph to the bad start, but the faster e/t because of the intake. go ahead and laugh at my times, but this was my first two times racing, my tires suck balls, and im at really high altitude. But yeah, by this, ive determined it helps a tiny bit. Definitly worth it for the sound though haha.

CustomWhips
09-24-2002, 03:19 PM
does buying a 200 dollar one and buying a 70 dollar cold air intake make a diffrence other then the sound. i mean. more air is more air. its not like these things are powered by anything. sep air. just an intake.
so basicly your buying the name and the sound. fuck it im going generic.

FREED0MFiST
09-24-2002, 07:30 PM
i dont really know if i believe it, but hear aem does better than the generic because its like specifically sized for your car for more air velocity or something. I think its prob BS, so with aem you pay 100 more for the CARB sticker heh.

absurd_image
09-25-2002, 11:08 AM
i know colder air is better for your engine. i think some of the more expensive intakes deliver more cold air witch then increases your hp. they also have more featers.

tynebeach
09-25-2002, 02:51 PM
well I know some of the intakes like the iceman and a few others are ALMOST as good as the AEM CAI, but they're worse by like only 4 degrees or something. So I think the truth is that AEM does do the best job, but you're paying like 80 dollars more for the name brand and only a 4 degree difference.

91civicDXdude
10-07-2002, 02:13 PM
actually, the iceman intake is better than most because the entire intake is slighly funneled towards your TB. Unlike most generics and such which have 3 inch piping and then a piece of rubber that acts as a reducer, the funneled iceman actually makes the air move faster and smoother.

Frostbyte
10-07-2002, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by absurd_image
i know colder air is better for your engine. i think some of the more expensive intakes deliver more cold air witch then increases your hp. they also have more featers.

How would a pipe deliver colder air then another pipe. They are all made out of the same shit. I say buy a cheap one and then buy that Heat Wrap for it and call it a day. You can get the heat wrap from www.mmrusa.com

FREED0MFiST
10-07-2002, 03:46 PM
I dont think the aem pipe is made as the same stuff as tje generic one... the generics are just like metal, and i thought the aem was coated so the pipe wouldnt heat up as much. If you put heat wrap on it, wouldnt that just make it get hotter? like thats why some people think you put heat wrap on headers, cause it keeps the gasses hotter so they flow easier...

BullShifter
10-08-2002, 10:30 PM
I have seen one bad thing about Iceman. If not installed properly the plastic can rub on sharp edges then the engine begins so suck plastic fragments. It will take some time for this to happen. There was a 98 prelude at my work, came in w/ no crank condition. Diag revealed some bent valves & 1 broken completely, piston & cyl wall damage. This probably was caused by an over-rev - the kid would not admit to it. Anyway they found all kinds yellow shavinns throught the engine/head also there was about a nickel sized piece in the Cat. convertor. WTF? the intake was a yellow inceman, & the kid didn't use the supplied trim ring for the inner fender-well thats where we found source of a the yellow. He declined work after the tear-down due to warranty company VOIDing his policy. he had to pay $800 or so & got his car back completely torn down with all the parts boxed up inside the car. My iceman is great - nice sound. :eek2:

tynebeach
10-09-2002, 05:41 PM
so would you say that if you installed the Iceman the right way it works well? And also how much do they run compared to and AEM CAI

BullShifter
10-11-2002, 01:18 AM
AEM is usually more money cause your paying for the name just like DC. only down side to a metal tubed intake is if rubs on the positive battery terminal which can cause all sorts of problems with the electrical system

shepworldwide
10-11-2002, 09:06 AM
is'nt the intake on the opposite side of the battery?
:bandit:

FREED0MFiST
10-11-2002, 04:43 PM
nah my intake and battery are on the left side of my engine bay. But my battery is that the top left pretty far away from my intake. I do see a lot of cars with battery at the front left, pretty close to the intake, but itd definitly have to be installed improperly to touch the battery terminals.

Add your comment to this topic!