Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Speedometer Noise

desmarkus
12-02-2004, 03:52 PM
It hit - 27 C last night (-16.5 F) and when I was driving to work this morning If I went over 60 kph (40 mph) the speedo would make an awful noise. After a few miles the whining stopped but still, I should fix it now rather than putting up with it, it's only getting colder around here.

The speedo was still reading properly, which is good.

Does anyone know if Isuzu (mines a 1992 rodeo) speedo's have trouble in the cold? Is there a low temp grease or something I can put in it to keep it running smooth in the bitter winters here in Manitoba?

ptc1625
12-22-2004, 02:47 PM
hey i recently replaced the all the lights behind the instrument panel, on my 92 rodeo....im hearing that same noise that you are...i tought it was because the speedometer cable became disconnnected from the gauge but im not sure...ill try that and then post back here....please let me know if you find out how to fix it....thanks

desmarkus
12-22-2004, 04:15 PM
It only happened the one time, I thought for sure it would've kept going. I guess that's good luck for me it was -45 C this morning (-49F) and I still haven't heard from it.

Perhaps it was some condensation which froze and was grinding in the gears. If you had the insrument panel off and guages out perhaps you loosened up some dirt and the dirt is acting just like the moisture was for mine.

ptc1625
12-23-2004, 09:48 AM
hey at the bottom of your post it says 1992 rodeo and then a little discrpition of your car, i got the car part in, but how do i put some other info about what ive done to my car on there?? thanks

amigo-2k
12-23-2004, 10:00 AM
it is under usercp

then click on signature

ptc1625
12-23-2004, 10:18 AM
thanks for the help amigo.... hey desmarkus....i was reading a post from you about another topic and came accross this:

"It has well over 200,000 miles and still runs good. There are, of course, some common problems with them, all of which aren't too serious. I think the most major one is intake gasket problems. Which should cost about $80 and and saturday to do."

what are the symptoms of an intake gasket problem, what would it help by repairing it?

also did or does your rodeo have a gas smell outside of the vehicle?, i know these are notorious for bad gas tanks, im gonna be replacing mine in a few weeks, from a company in california for $100, ive already replaced the y pipe and cat, and the gas tank was the other main thing that needs to get fixed...

desmarkus
12-23-2004, 12:34 PM
If you have an intake leak the fuel/air mix will lean out and the engine will starve for gas which will cause a stumble...this will trigger your idle sensor to give more fuel and speed the motor up and so on and so forth.

The symptom ends up to be an engine that stalls/ stumbles rather than idles smoothly. However, a bad intake gasket is not the only cause for this symptom. Bad idler sensor or ECM or o2 sensors could also do it, as well as problems with the EGR valve or bad spark plugs or wires.

My problem was and still is a stumble while idling. I turned up the idle on the truck to avoid stalls but the stumble is still there. I have changed or checked all of the above and more. I have no idea why it's happening. Assuming you have the 3.1 GM V6 in your truck you must remember that only 2 or 3 years had this motor in it, as well it is the only rwd mounted 3.1 you'll find. In all other GM vehicles the 3.1 is fwd mounted. This makes the motor a little bit of an oddity.

I've got the Haynes Manual if you should need something from it just ask.

And no I don't smell gas out side or inside the vehicle, gas tank is solid.

BTW Merry Christmas and Happy new year to you and everyone on automotive forums.

ptc1625
12-23-2004, 01:35 PM
thanks, hey i was wondering where the egr valvle was located on my 92 rodeo, i think its mounted at the back of the engine compartment by the firewall on the passenger side, but im not sure if thats where it is......

i want to see how dirty it is and then possibly clean it out....any tips or hints before i attempt this???

Happy Holidays Everyone

desmarkus
01-04-2005, 03:21 PM
Its been a while since I replaced mine I can't really remember so it can't be in too bad a spot.

Biggest hint is take very good care not to wreck the gasket but better yet get a replacement and change the gasket after cleaning the egr.

I've seen some good threads on cleaning egrs just search this site I'm sure you'll find them

Add your comment to this topic!