Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

98 blazer

tknight
12-02-2004, 10:54 AM
hi guys&gals
my son in law has 98 blazer 4.3 auto 4x4. the problem is we went to change the spark plugs. 5 plugs were not to bad to get at but the last 1 was unbeleveble. center plug on drivers side was almost impossible to get at. i got the socket on the plug but was unable to get the rachet on the socket because the steering column is in the way. i had to use a wrench to get the plug out and back in.
my question is there an easy way to change this spark plug.

thanks in advance tknight

vtmecheng
12-02-2004, 01:32 PM
Oh yes, this is a great design and here is how they want you to do it. There is a boot over the steering shaft, if you push it up a flat spot on the shaft will be exposed. Turn the steering wheels untill this flat spot faces the plug, put the spark plug socket on and then the socket wrench. Break the plug loose and take the wrench off, then take the socket off, and finaly remove the plug. Now isn't that fun?

gbic1
12-02-2004, 10:09 PM
Do your self a favor. Remove the cover off of the steering shaft to steering box, it is plastic. Remove the pinch bolt from the shaft and remove the steering shaft from the box. Now you can move the shaft out of you way and get right to the plug! it is easier than it sounds. NOTE: do not spin the steering shaft if truck is equipt with and air bag. This will damage the clock spring ant render air bag useless!

Add your comment to this topic!