Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

timing a 85 22rec

jkdon
12-02-2004, 09:30 AM
Can someone tell me how to time a 85 22rec motor. I'm not sure where to start. It is a fuel injected motor.

thanks
Jkdon

jkdon
12-02-2004, 12:53 PM
I know it is an old truck guys but someone has to know how to get her back in the mud.

thanks
jkdon

jkdon
12-03-2004, 12:15 PM
I could even use some advise on using a timing light at this point. She skiped time, so what is next? I need someone with some toyota expertise. There hard to come by, the rigs run forever.

This will be my last post
thanks
JKdon

slacker501
12-05-2004, 06:15 PM
I could even use some advise on using a timing light at this point. She skiped time, so what is next? I need someone with some toyota expertise. There hard to come by, the rigs run forever.

This will be my last post
thanks
JKdon

hey ... timing an /85 ...

There is a plug on the inside if the engine compartment .. yellow with 2 wires right behind the air filter canister ...

it must be jumped , to disable the computer ... (jumper wire from one terminal to the other .. )

now you can "time" it ... I usually do it by ear , but 5deg is the spec.

depending on what kind of timing light you have ... princapally there all the same .. posand neg aligator clip to power and ground (battery+/-)
sliding "clip clamp to #1 plug wire ... point gun to timing marks on the lower crank pully ... "strobe light" will show a flashing mark ...

with the distributor loosened @ the engine mount , now you can move it clock/counter clock wise to set it to 5 deg ....

thats about it ...
hope that helps .

Add your comment to this topic!