Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

3.2 timing belt???

rollin_on13s
12-01-2004, 09:26 PM
anyone know off hand what the reccommended intervals are on replacement of the 3.2 timing belt??
I've got a '97 with 92K that doesn't exactly sound as tight as I would expect it to. I bought it with around 84,000mi on it, and remember wondering if I had possibly been deceived on the actual mileage...but maybe that's just characteristic noise?- or something on the outside of the motor making a low, burbling rattle sound. Definitely worth checking in to.

anthonyn
12-01-2004, 09:32 PM
The burbling rattling sound is probably the notorious lifter tick that these vehicles are known for. Do a search and you'll find plenty of remedies that will quiet them down for awhile. If you haven't replaced the timing belt, @92k miles you're due. My 95.5 Rodeo has a 60k mile timing belt change interval (which I think is too short an interval).

rodeo02
12-02-2004, 01:14 PM
I'd personally wait until either your water pump starts to leak, your hydraulic timing belt tensioner gives up the ghost, or you get to WELL above 100K miles before you do a T-belt replacement. Again, all 3.2's are non-interference engines, so worst case, the belt breaks, the engine stalls and you are stranded w/out a truck until it gets fixed (like tons of other things that can happen to a vehicle).
G/luck
Joel

Canucklehead
12-02-2004, 03:29 PM
I waited until the tensioner started to go bad before I changed the belt (tensioner & water pump as well) which was at 119K miles. There didn't look to be anything wrong with the old belt when they removed it.

ibew595
12-03-2004, 02:03 PM
I would rather replace these parts somewhere I could trust/find a deal than "have" to replace and be stuck.
What if you are on a road trip? Story in the news today, lady killed after her Escalade stopped on the freeway center median. She got out and tried to run across the freeway.

Canucklehead
12-03-2004, 02:10 PM
I would rather replace these parts somewhere I could trust/find a deal than "have" to replace and be stuck.
What if you are on a road trip? Story in the news today, lady killed after her Escalade stopped on the freeway center median. She got out and tried to run across the freeway.

And the latest Darwin award goes to...

Letsrodeo
12-12-2004, 05:55 AM
My 99 Reodo operators manual recommends the T blet replaced at the 100K mile mark.

My :2cents:

Add your comment to this topic!