Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2001 tundra lmtd 4x4 engine performance

gph303
12-01-2004, 08:43 PM
My 4.7 L 2001 Tundra limited 4x4 has a very irritating stumble and surging problem the dealer says they can't duplicate. When moderately acclerating especially up hill it seems to have a loss of power unless you really put your foot into it and then you better be holding on. It feels like it is starving for fuel or actually like it is running on 6 or 7 cyl's instead of 8. If you hold the rpm's steady you can actually feel the engine surging like the other plug(s) are firing. Anyone have a similiar problem. Been doing this since day 1 and now 3 1/2 years and 32,000 miles it is still there. Gas mileage is not good either if this helps. Maybe 12-13 intown(not with a heavy foot either.) Thanks.

ryba1000
12-05-2004, 09:33 PM
gph303, did you ever check your spark plugs? This sounds like a spark plug problem with all those details you gave. It seems impossible that at 35k you would be getting problems. I have a Tundra '01 with 245k miles. Yes 245,000 miles. and only had to replace a lightbulb. This truck is bulletproof.

gph303
12-07-2004, 07:19 PM
gph303, did you ever check your spark plugs? This sounds like a spark plug problem with all those details you gave. It seems impossible that at 35k you would be getting problems. I have a Tundra '01 with 245k miles. Yes 245,000 miles. and only had to replace a lightbulb. This truck is bulletproof.

This has been a problem since day one and the dealer says they can't duplicate it. Have had several small problems such as seat belts had to be replaced and the rear differential has a light whine in it like the ring and pinion aren't adjusted properly and the fuel gauge drops from full to 1/4 sometimes when it has nearly a full tank. You can't turn a corner in 4 wheel drive on wet or dirt roads without it feeling like something is locking up. Another thing is if you take off from a stop and make a left or right turn the fan belt makes a slight squeal. Guess there is a lemon in every vehicle and seems like I have. Won't know if mine will make 245,000 miles cause as soon as I can dump it I will. I love the truck but get irritated with the minor problems that can't seem to be pinpointed. I also drive a '97 chevy 3500 with v8 auto with 106,000 that weighs in at 6700 lbs and it rides just as good and runs much better. Sorry to unload!

ryba1000
12-07-2004, 10:07 PM
Sounds like your Tundra was a lemon. You should have had that vehicle replaced at the dealer with your factory warranty, it's their obligation to do so. I'm more of an import guy but i'm also looking to buy a new truck and I'm leaning towards either the Titan or the Tundra, but I haven't test drove a domestic truck yet, besides the Chevy 3500, have you owned any other trucks, and how did they perform?

gph303
12-08-2004, 08:29 PM
Sounds like your Tundra was a lemon. You should have had that vehicle replaced at the dealer with your factory warranty, it's their obligation to do so. I'm more of an import guy but i'm also looking to buy a new truck and I'm leaning towards either the Titan or the Tundra, but I haven't test drove a domestic truck yet, besides the Chevy 3500, have you owned any other trucks, and how did they perform?

Live and learn. I have owned two other new trucks since 1977-both Fords. First one I put 45,000 in two years and traded when gas jumped 30+ cents a gallon and I was getting like 13-15 on the highway and the next I kept for 22 years and only had 170,000 on it and the most I did was water pumps and idler arms(3 each). No clutch or other engine work other than routine maintence. I guess I am just a little particular especially when I pay $33,900 for a truck and have the disappointments I had when the truck was so well promoted and I know people personally who have toyota's with 200-300,000+ with no major problems. I get over it though. Thanks for the info though.

Add your comment to this topic!