01 sebring heat cuts in and out

wilrac65
12-01-2004, 12:00 PM
01 sebring, the heat cuts out when at idle. heats back up at
about 2000 rpm. I'm thinking it is a thermostat, wondered if any one else has had this problem.

ssixs
12-09-2004, 02:46 PM
01 sebring, the heat cuts out when at idle. heats back up at
about 2000 rpm. I'm thinking it is a thermostat, wondered if any one else has had this problem.

You should start by flushing the cooling system out throughly. Your heater core my be starting to clog up. Flushing now may prevent total loss of heat and the need for a new heater core in the future. Might as well replace the thermostat, they are cheap and easy to replace.

chitown18th
12-09-2004, 08:16 PM
You should start by flushing the cooling system out throughly. Your heater core my be starting to clog up. Flushing now may prevent total loss of heat and the need for a new heater core in the future. Might as well replace the thermostat, they are cheap and easy to replace.

Cheap maybe not easy at all. Especially on this car what engine is it? to change thermostat on a 2.7 engine you have to take the passenger wheel off, then remove the splash guarding, the alternator and to get that out you have to remove the engine oil fill tube, to get to the third bolt on the bottom of the thermostat you have to drop the compressor. Well you should try all of ssixs recommendations cause if it's your water pump it's in the motor lol you have to take the time chain off and before you get to all that you have to take half the car a part good luck hopefully the flushing and the thermostat fix your problem and yeah the thermostat is easier than changing the water pump itself. Does your car overheat at all? or remain cool too long?

n1trom4n
02-03-2005, 03:45 PM
I have a similar problem with my 2001 sebring sedan. The car recently had its coolant system flushed and replaced with new coolant. The car's heating system does not work untill the engine has been running for almost a half and hour of driving less if i am on a high speed road or highway. It seems the car has a problem warming up after it is started. I was told the problem is the thermostat and i should replace it. I do not have the equipment to do the work on my 2.7L engine myself so i would have to hire someone to do it for me. Just wondering if the thermostat is the real problem. Thank You

brian8675
02-03-2005, 09:30 PM
I have a 2000 Sebring sedan. It's done the same thing for 2 winters. It can sit in the garage for 15 minutes with the engine warming up, but I don't get a good blast of heat until I'm on the road. Once on the highway, I have to turn the heat down as the hot air really starts blowing. Kind of a pain.

theFREAKnasty82
02-04-2005, 01:35 AM
I have a 2000 Sebring sedan. It's done the same thing for 2 winters. It can sit in the garage for 15 minutes with the engine warming up, but I don't get a good blast of heat until I'm on the road. Once on the highway, I have to turn the heat down as the hot air really starts blowing. Kind of a pain.

brian8675, check your coolant level. If it's low, it'll do that.

petey_85
12-17-2005, 06:16 PM
I have a 2004 sebring sedan with 28000 km and had mine in chrysler for the reason of not heating up. It takes mine about 45mins to start to blow warm. Mine also idles at 1000 rpms at temperature when cold outside and mine also gets about 18 mpg when it reaches about -15 celcius. Dodge has so called checked everything 3 times and tell me there is no problem and it is normal. The solution was to give me a fuel calculator, put cardboard in front of rad, and of course the bill.
So much for bumper to bumper warranty

jkohn1
12-19-2005, 05:35 PM
I have the same problem with the heater in my 2001 Sebring. Just wondering if anyone has found the problem yet?

Dale38
12-27-2005, 03:22 PM
I had the same issue with my 98 Sebring. After I had the coolant flushed and the thermostat replaced, the heat worked great. To this day, the heat works very well, even with the cold temps in NH!!! After about 5 minutes of warming up in the morning, the heat is there.

KrisLizBeth
01-16-2006, 03:43 PM
i also have the same problem with my 2001 sebring sedan the car only has 28,000 miles on it...i was told to try and change the thermostat there isnt anyother way of doing this that sounds very hard and time consuming...

ghostch15
06-04-2010, 04:20 PM
same prob on a 3.0 v6 model
mine was a bad heater core connecting hose
it wasn't leaking but it was busted inside
and plugging itself at low rpms the watter pressure
was not enough to circulate thou the core
but at road speeds the watter pump
was able to over come the resistance in the hose

Add your comment to this topic!