Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Now here's an idea!

speediva
02-28-2002, 11:03 AM
I don't know if it's been done before, but I have come to an ingenious solution to disassembling our entire rear seat to change the speakers!!!

I am going to go in and dremmel out a hole just large enough to have direct access to the rear deck speakers and I'm also working on a way so that the rear grilles will simply snap-off or lift-off the rear deck!!!

When it finally gets warm enough, I'll go to it, and trust me when I say that there will be pictures all the way through the process to keep you all up-to-date on how the modifying is coming along!!!

PS--If you have any advice for me on this project, feel free to post it up in this thread! Thanks!

cliffud
02-28-2002, 02:15 PM
i thought about the rear speakers when i was replacing them the other day...

i got sick and tired of taking out all that stuff so i just used vice grips and bent the metal so it would be flush on the underside of the rear deck and screwed the speakers in from the trunk. so they're bottom mounted...

now to change rear speakers- just remove subwoofer box, unscrew speakers and unclip wires and swap.

it's a lot easier, except that it's harder to screw into the metal from the bottom just because you're working upside down. but once you get the holes done, you're set. just be sure you use a power drill. (i was happy i finally got a chance to use my craftsman 14.4 volt drill- woo hoooooooo...)

-clifford

Swonder67
02-28-2002, 05:04 PM
Why don't you just take a screw driver, and pry off the rear grill, then glue it back on when you're done. about the dremel thing, do you mean you're gonna dremel through the metal of the rear deck? If so, that's gonna be tougher than doing it the regular way.

To cliffud, how do you get the stock speakers out, which are dropped in from the top. With bottom mounted speakers you have gravity working against you, every so often, you're gonna have to go in there and re tighten the screws. Also, did you use dynamat to go between the speaker and the deck?

speediva
02-28-2002, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Swonder67
1)Why don't you just take a screw driver, and pry off the rear grill, then glue it back on when you're done.
2)about the dremel thing, do you mean you're gonna dremel through the metal of the rear deck? If so, that's gonna be tougher than doing it the regular way.

1) I've already torn one screw out of the plastic already... took a lot of time and FAR more frustration than any car is worth. As for gluing the rear grille back on--wouldn't that just make a mess, not to mention make it VERY difficult to go back in and change speakers if they get blown out or something??? ;)

2)I'm not dremeling out the metal, only the plastic board so that I have direct access to the screws that go down into the metal. The speaker itself sits on top of any other metal that could conceivably be in the way.

Swonder67
02-28-2002, 06:17 PM
It would be hard to dremel out the plastic/fabric without it looking really bad. About the glue thing, no, it wouldn't be messy at all if you were careful. And, unless you plan on swapping out the speakers monthly, glueing in the stock grilles won't pose too much of a problem. I mean, even if you got new speakers every year (which I doubt, unless you're really unlucky)prying ooff the glue won't be that hard... or just use a few drops of silicone... you don't need it to be stuck there forever, just enough for the grill to be held over thespeaker.

cliffud
02-28-2002, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Swonder67

To cliffud, how do you get the stock speakers out, which are dropped in from the top. With bottom mounted speakers you have gravity working against you, every so often, you're gonna have to go in there and re tighten the screws. Also, did you use dynamat to go between the speaker and the deck?

pulled stock speakers out when i pulled out the seats and rear deck.

put stuff back in w/o speakers...

jumped into trunk and screwed speakers into rear deck. yes- i was working against gravity. every now and then tightening the screws?? never thought about that- haven't done it yet.

they sound fine.

dynamat: no- i didn't use any dynamat, i probably should though to keep everything nice and tight. doing that won't be a problem though.
just jump in the trunk - unscrew speakers- lay the fabric- punch holes in fabric where speaker holes are for ease of screwing back in speakers and then screw speakers back in.

i do stuff with my car in spurts... work on it- enjoy it- work on it - enjoy it- work on it- enjoy it...

so- right now i'm in the enjoyment phase... considering in the last month, the car has "grown" a CAI and a header.

-clifford

:smoker:

NismoG20
02-28-2002, 06:53 PM
my infinty perfects fit fine... i guess i was lucky

Swonder67
02-28-2002, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by NismoG20
my infinty perfects fit fine... i guess i was lucky

They weren't talking about the fit, they were talking about the annoying tedious task of taking off that friggin rear deck. (although it's not as hard as everyone says it is. I had all 4 speakers in, dynamat and all, in about an hour and a half.

cliffud
02-28-2002, 09:16 PM
the most annoying part of the whole task is trying SOOOOOOOOOOO hard to NOT break those plastic button screws in the rear deck... i ALWAYS break one... that- and putting the damn seatbelts back through the holes in the seat bottom so the passengers in the rear don't smack their heads against yours if the AF curse hits.

i hate that part...

the part with the rear deck..

eh- i just pull up and wiggle it- it comes loose pretty easily now just because i've done it so many times...

-clifford
:smoker:

speediva
03-01-2002, 02:33 PM
Okay now, just because I'm an ingenious girl who had an awesome idea doesn't mean that you all have to throw hissy fits... :o

Cutting the plastic board isn't that hard. Had to do it last time b/c the friggin old speakers are like crappy 5 1/4" set into a 6 3/4" plate :rolleyes: so therefore the holes had to be made bigger. Wimpy little me did it by myself with a carpet cutter blade!!! I also tend to blow out speakers b/c between the new powered head unit, and the stock amps still hooked up there's a lot of juice headin into the speakers. I prefer to just make it less work on myself! I don't want them in the trunk... I'm too careless about tossing things in there.

And eventually I'm going to do it... I'll probably also put my neon wire in then, too! :D

cliffud
03-01-2002, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by saturntangerine
Okay now, just because I'm an ingenious girl who had an awesome idea doesn't mean that you all have to throw hissy fits... :o

Cutting the plastic board isn't that hard. Had to do it last time b/c the friggin old speakers are like crappy 5 1/4" set into a 6 3/4" plate :rolleyes: so therefore the holes had to be made bigger. Wimpy little me did it by myself with a carpet cutter blade!!! I also tend to blow out speakers b/c between the new powered head unit, and the stock amps still hooked up there's a lot of juice headin into the speakers. I prefer to just make it less work on myself! I don't want them in the trunk... I'm too careless about tossing things in there.

And eventually I'm going to do it... I'll probably also put my neon wire in then, too! :D

why aren't there any girls who like cars this much down in arizona??????

a gal who's into cars is like... WHOA.

:D

-clifford

CanadianG
03-02-2002, 08:34 AM
but when I replaced my rear deck in both of my G'z I was able to pry the rear deck up and out of plac with a screwdrive after accidentally snappin all of those annoying screws.

Just be careful that it doesn't rub against the material in the side pillars!

speediva
03-02-2002, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by CanadianG
but when I replaced my rear deck in both of my G'z I was able to pry the rear deck up and out of plac with a screwdrive after accidentally snappin all of those annoying screws.

Just be careful that it doesn't rub against the material in the side pillars!

I've already done the whole disassembling of the rear seat, used a freaking CROW BAR to get off the plastic board (only broke one clip), managed to destroy one of the fuzzy screws, and had all sorts of other fun along such lines...

Since I'm now running a good deal more power (I now have a powered head unit in addition to the rear amps) to the rear deck, I tend to get a little carried away with the volume at times. I blew out the stock speakers with the stock HU, and now the 652i's are crackling with the DEH6300. At this rate, I think I'll be glad I have a 2-year policy for the speakers!!! :eek: I just think that it'll be MUCH easier to replace the speakers with the grilles easily detachable, and having direct access to the speaker itself for removal.

CanadianG
03-02-2002, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by saturntangerine

I've already done the whole disassembling of the rear seat, used a freaking CROW BAR to get off the plastic board (only broke one clip), managed to destroy one of the fuzzy screws, and had all sorts of other fun along such lines...

Since I'm now running a good deal more power (I now have a powered head unit in addition to the rear amps) to the rear deck, I tend to get a little carried away with the volume at times. I blew out the stock speakers with the stock HU, and now the 652i's are crackling with the DEH6300. At this rate, I think I'll be glad I have a 2-year policy for the speakers!!! :eek: I just think that it'll be MUCH easier to replace the speakers with the grilles easily detachable, and having direct access to the speaker itself for removal.

Nice way to put it Crow Bar queen!
I never ummmm thought of using one of them anywhere near my car let alone inside it. But to each thier own. LOL!!!!:flash:

Oh ya If u buy realy good speakers you wont have to disassemble the G again cuz u wont need to ever replace em??

speediva
03-03-2002, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by CanadianG

Oh ya If u buy realy good speakers you wont have to disassemble the G again cuz u wont need to ever replace em??

I did buy good speakers! Infinity 652i's 6 1/2" rounds!!! Cost me plenty enough, thanks! I'm broke, remember???

speediva
04-29-2002, 11:04 PM
:flipa: to all you H8ters! ;) :p

I did it! (no pics, though :()

I went in, made the plastic board holes big enough, put the stock grilles back on with some friggin brilliant ingenuity, and bypassed the rear amp!!! Doesn't even hardly look bad!

Here's what I did: I did the whole take out rear bench routine. Got in and replaced the rear speakers from the top, then I took my handy dandy carpet cutter back out and made slits just large enough that I now can unscrew and lift the speakers right out. Then came the fun part. I went and used a nail to tap a hole all the way through the existing screwholes in the speaker grilles so that the hole came out the top. I bought 6x1" screws and just screwed them down in from the top into the plastic board.

Bypassing the rear amp was the major b!tch of the thing. I finally found the bugger hiding behind the scissor jack (which is something the diagrams DON'T tell you). I also got rid of the antenna that was so nicely broken by the peachy rabid deer I hit back in January or so. So now I have a gaping hole in my trunk area, but oh well. Continuing on... I went in and cut the wire harness off the amp, and then I had to go and find out which wires ran to which speakers. It took me a while to realize that the wires that had previously run from the amp to the speakers were now neutral and didn't make a difference. Anyway, so I finally got the wires hooked up to the proper speaker. They work beautifully. Just too bad that my rear seat isn't back in yet b/c I'm cleaning it for the car show.

I RULE!!!!!

Add your comment to this topic!