Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Turn Signals / Brake Lights / Flashers won't work

paramedic71
11-30-2004, 05:53 PM
I have a 96 CV Police. Two days ago, all of a sudden, the blinkers, brake lights and the emergency flashers all stopped working at the same time. I've checked all the bulbs, checked the brake switch on the pedal, checked all the fuses and nothing seems to come up as the problem. I even went so far as to buy a can flasher from a local auto parts store. Little did I know, this car doesn't even use a can flasher. Obviously the guy who sold it to me didn't know either, or he got me for a sucker. Weird thing about this problem is that the third brake light still works. Tail lights work.

What am I missing? I hate to spend the $300 to buy a new LCM without knowing that's the problem.

ModMech
12-01-2004, 01:13 AM
Replace the multi-function switch (aka turn signal switch). EVERYTHING that you say does not work, goes thru it.

It's an easy fix, under 30 minutes, parts are reasonable.

paramedic71
12-01-2004, 11:23 AM
Replace the multi-function switch (aka turn signal switch). EVERYTHING that you say does not work, goes thru it.

It's an easy fix, under 30 minutes, parts are reasonable.

Would the third brake light still work if that were the problem?

ModMech
12-01-2004, 11:26 AM
Yes, power for the 3rd brake lamp does NOT pass thru the MFS.

paramedic71
12-01-2004, 11:38 AM
Yes, power for the 3rd brake lamp does NOT pass thru the MFS.

Any special tools required to get to the switch?

ModMech
12-01-2004, 12:41 PM
No, regular phillips. Some Ford models use a #20 Trox, but not the CVs that I have seen.

Remove screws from lower column cover, move selector to "1" (parking brake ON). Pull upper cover up on the left side to expose the MFS screws (2) and connectors (2), remove screws, disconnect connectors R&R switch.

Now, I should point out that there is no way to know FOR SURE that the MFS is the problem, based on your description, it *could* also be the GEM, but they are not known for causing problems, and the MFS is well known for it.

paramedic71
12-01-2004, 12:42 PM
Thanks ModMech!

I'll give it a try!

McDonald_M
03-04-2005, 05:59 AM
I borrowed my father-in-law's 96 Crown Vic while my Toyota was in the shop. Suddenly the turn signals / brake lights / hazzard lights stopped working. Cornering lights and third (center) brake light worked. I read this thread and purchased a MFS (aka turn signal lever) at my local Auto Value parts store for $50.00. It's brand was Standard Motor Products, part number DS742. It took a some work to get the old switch out from behind the steering wheel and out from under the two piece plastic cover, but that was it!

Everything is working again. Thanks Paramedic71 for posting this thread and thanks ModMech for posting the answer and detailed description on the part removal.

Best Wishes,
Mike

TJfishin
01-06-2006, 03:16 PM
I know this is a little late guys, but I had the same problem, talked to an electrician and he said before I start swapping out parts, try squirting some WD-40 on the emergency flasher button and work it up and down a few times, it is known to stick. I did that and it works perfect. Saved myself $700 the Ford dealership wanted to fix it.

crown_victorious
02-09-2006, 01:43 AM
I know this is a little late guys,
Not for me...just in time!

I just bought a '98 CV a few days ago, went to test the hazards (which didn't work) and then the blinkers also stopped working. Wiggled the hazard switch again, and blinkers worked, so I left it alone! :banghead:

but I had the same problem, talked to an electrician and he said before I start swapping out parts, try squirting some WD-40 on the emergency flasher button and work it up and down a few times, it is known to stick. I did that and it works perfect. Saved myself $700 the Ford dealership wanted to fix it.

WD-40 did the trick for me too...hazards and blinkers work now. Whew...:)

Thanks TJ, and all the other posters here. This saved me a whole lot of pain and money...

1blackcrownvic
02-20-2006, 04:23 PM
hey;
i had a similar problem..on my 98 CVPI the hi-mount stoplight worked, so did the turn sigs, tail lights.. but my REAR brake lights didnt.. i replaced the MFS, but still no luck.. ive heard mention of a GEM switch.. where is it? and more importantly, how tough is it to get out? in the meantime i spliced into the hi-mount and ran a wire to the rear right brakelight (lt. grn wire)it'll work for now, but i really would like to not have to run a jury-rigged ride, if ya know what i mean.. also, my horn stopped working! ye gads.. its not the clock spring, whats a quick and dirty way to get it honking again, short of running MORE wires all over the damn thing?
thanks
glenn

NAVYSEABEE21@AOL.COM

Add your comment to this topic!