2000 Honda Accord auto Transmission problem

LindaK
11-30-2004, 12:37 PM
My 2000 Honda Accord's automatic transmission is slipping. It seems to jump into gear from 1st to 2nd...and will also do the same when when going down from 2nd to 1st.

Also noticed that the higher gears will slip (intermittently).

My car has about 74,000 miles on it. When I purchased it (used)...I got the Honda Certified Warranty on it...good until 100,000K.

I take the car in to have it looked at (by the Honda dealership) on Friday (3 days from now). I must note that this IS the FIRST time I am taking the car to the Honda dealership since I purchased it at 32,000 miles. Up until now I feel the car has been pretty reliable (only having to replace brakes and tires). I bought the Honda Accord because I was told they last forever...and don't kill you with maintenance bills.

When I called the dealership for an appointment....I could not get the car in for 2.5 weeks. To me...that was a red flag. In my entire life I have never had to wait 2.5 weeks to get a service appointment. Apparently Honda's are breaking down! (;-))))

I've done some research on the Internet with regards to Accord Transmissions. By what I read (comments from others) the transmissions in the Honda's (98,99, 200, 2001) are breaking down early.

1. Does anyone know WHY the transmissions are breaking down early? When they do a rebuild or replace the transmission...is Honda fixing the initial problem...or replacing the trans with another defective transmission?

2. Right now...my car is under warranty and I "expect" that the most this will cost me is my $100 deductible...but...I'm worried about what happens AFTER 100,000 K miles...and the trans breaks down again.
What precautions should I take when talking with the service department?

Thank you.

E-mail me at: lmk3@Lehigh.edu

Add your comment to this topic!