Fuse Box - Red and Green Wires?

arjf1989@msn.com
11-30-2004, 11:14 AM
I recently purchase a 94' J30 and there is a set of factory wires (red and green) that are wegged between a couple of different fuses on the fuse box. What are these wires connect to?. I disconnected these wires, attempting to disconnect the automatic door locks, because the doors will lock on there own. I've had to pay a Lock Smith to open the door. Now, the car won't start at all. Could these wires be to the fuel pump, starter, alternator?. I need help.......Thanks

Also, the headlights work at random. I read another Thread and it sounds like the relay box may be the issue. Has anyone else found it not to be the relay box?.......Thanks

94J30t
11-30-2004, 11:03 PM
well there a few ways to go about it, your alternator will not have much affect on your cranking condition. you will notice aan alternator problem when you are driving it and the engine is using the alternator for power (biggest indication would be the battery that dies while you are driving it). Now, when you turn the key to start does the engine turn over or does it just click and do nothing more? a click with no turn over would be a problem in either the starter or starter solenoid. it it turns over than you can possible emiminate the starter problem. if it turns over slow than first check you battery to make sure all the cables are connected and your not low on voltage. minimum voltage should be around 12.6 volts for a full charge. if it is anything below that than i would try charging it first. not fix it? check all the cables from batter to starter solenoid to starter. now if it does turn over at a good speed then time to look else where. Fuel pump, turn the key to the on position and crawl under the car and listen to the fuel tank, should be able to hear your fuel pump running (i think never tried on my j30t yet) another option is hook a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail. no pressure would mean you found one of the reasons it didnt start. if you have fuel pressure than check it with the specs for the vehicle. since it stopped running after you disconnected the wire i wont tell you to look at the air filter. spark is the next thing to check, DO NOT PULL YOU PLUG OUT AND GROUND IT TO THE CAR AND HAVE SOMEONE CRANK IT OVER!!!!!! IT WILL DESTROY PART OF YOUR PCM OR OTHER COMPUTERS ONBOARD! get a spark tester or ground it to the car only as a last resort but be fore warned that it can blow you PCM since you putting roughtly 5,000 - 15,000 volts to your chasis ground. The PCM controls grounds to all of your sensors and seloniods that are computer controlled. they are only designed to take 5 volts max. if none of that help with the diagnosis than ill talk to a couple techs at work and get some suggestions

dan

arjf1989@msn.com
12-01-2004, 04:44 PM
Hi Dan,

Thanks for the feedback........The engine turns very rapidly, but won't run over......I'll test the fuel pump issue......Could the red and green wires connected the fuse box be connected to the fuel pump?. The car started for two days after I disconnected both wires. Maybe there was enough pressure in the line to start the engine. If it is the fuel pump and connect the wires back up. Will the fuel lines have enough pressure to start the car?.

Also, I need to dissconnect the factory remote that locks the doors. any sueggestions?. The doors have locked on me several times. however, did managed to have the windows down, except the first time is happened and $125 later I was back in the car......OUCH!!!!.....

The car appears to be in good overall condition, I'm just trying to work the bugs out of a used car......

well there a few ways to go about it, your alternator will not have much affect on your cranking condition. you will notice aan alternator problem when you are driving it and the engine is using the alternator for power (biggest indication would be the battery that dies while you are driving it). Now, when you turn the key to start does the engine turn over or does it just click and do nothing more? a click with no turn over would be a problem in either the starter or starter solenoid. it it turns over than you can possible emiminate the starter problem. if it turns over slow than first check you battery to make sure all the cables are connected and your not low on voltage. minimum voltage should be around 12.6 volts for a full charge. if it is anything below that than i would try charging it first. not fix it? check all the cables from batter to starter solenoid to starter. now if it does turn over at a good speed then time to look else where. Fuel pump, turn the key to the on position and crawl under the car and listen to the fuel tank, should be able to hear your fuel pump running (i think never tried on my j30t yet) another option is hook a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail. no pressure would mean you found one of the reasons it didnt start. if you have fuel pressure than check it with the specs for the vehicle. since it stopped running after you disconnected the wire i wont tell you to look at the air filter. spark is the next thing to check, DO NOT PULL YOU PLUG OUT AND GROUND IT TO THE CAR AND HAVE SOMEONE CRANK IT OVER!!!!!! IT WILL DESTROY PART OF YOUR PCM OR OTHER COMPUTERS ONBOARD! get a spark tester or ground it to the car only as a last resort but be fore warned that it can blow you PCM since you putting roughtly 5,000 - 15,000 volts to your chasis ground. The PCM controls grounds to all of your sensors and seloniods that are computer controlled. they are only designed to take 5 volts max. if none of that help with the diagnosis than ill talk to a couple techs at work and get some suggestions

dan

94J30t
12-01-2004, 09:46 PM
i doubt you would have enought fuel pressure to start it, i know you would not have enough fuel to run it after start. trace the wire harness that controls the fuel pump and check it for voltage, it is a 12 volt circuit i think, it not a 12 volt than it will be a 5 volt. it may be connected to the fuel pump but i doubt it. ill get on All Data and pull up the wiring diagram from the fuse box and look to see what the green and red wires in it control. it might not even be part of the problem. i will also look into disconnecting the locks, till then do what i do, keep a spare in you wallet, saved me hundreds of times. but ill get some info and try to scan it and send you the diagrams. ill let you know what i come up with

Speedy_1234
12-02-2004, 05:43 PM
Well Let me help One thing i can tell you is the tank of the j-30 is not in the bottom of the car like the rest but in the trunk you know when you open the trunk you see the spare and the wall in front of you take it off and you will see the fuel tank so don't be trying to find it in the bottom because it won't be there (I think it easy because you don't have to bring the tank down)

94J30t
12-03-2004, 09:30 PM
i pulled up the wiring diagram for the fuse panel, there is a green wire that controls the fuel pump circuit. i would trace your wires to your fuel pump to the first connector you find. disconnect and check it for voltage. ill look into the diagram in more detail tomorrow since im off.

Add your comment to this topic!