Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Electrical

pdj_getinthe
11-29-2004, 04:35 PM
Does anyone know how to access the starter and ignition wires on an Eldo? I want to install a push-start button, but can't even access these wires. If anyone knows how, or has already installed a push-start on their Caddy, let me know how to do so. Thanks.

hyarnell1
12-03-2004, 05:21 PM
What year we talkin'?

pdj_getinthe
12-07-2004, 05:02 PM
We're talkin' about a 1997 Eldo. PLEASE HELP!!

hyarnell1
12-07-2004, 05:15 PM
OK, the next question I have is what is a 'push start' button? Is this like the old days of a push button on the dash that cranks the engine? What's wrong with just turning the key? If I'm not mistaken, the '97 has Passkey theft protection, and those circuits have to be disabled to use a push button start.
I'm not clear as to what you're intentions are, but I think it may be more than you realize.

pdj_getinthe
12-07-2004, 08:21 PM
By a push-start button, I do mean pushing a button to crank the engine, like what the new sports cars and the new STS has, etc. There's nothing wrong with turning the key, but it's just something different; it's not the usual. You aren't mistaken as the '97 Eldorado does have the Passkey Theft Protection. But, I plan to wire this button through the ignition and starter wires so that the key must be inserted and turned to the "ON" position in order to utilize the button. I don't know if that would work or not. It would be in my best interest as of now to know how the wires around the ignition barrel and the steering column are accessed. Thanks.

hyarnell1
12-08-2004, 04:01 PM
Oh, OK. Get access to the heavy yellow wire at either the starter relay in the relay center (between the air filter and the strut tower on the drivers side), or the PRNDL switch under the shift cable ball at the transaxle (pin E), and splice (tap) one of those lines to your push button. Find +12 (hot in run) for the other side of the switch, and you're in business. The downside of this is NO wire is easily accessible on this car.

pdj_getinthe
12-08-2004, 04:52 PM
OK. As you can tell, I know not much about cars. I understand the wiring of the hot wire when the ignition is in run, but I've never even heard of a strut tower (and I couldn't tell you where it's located either), nor do I have a clue how to access the PRNDL switch under the shift cable ball at the transaxle. I would appreciate further explanation. Thanks.

pdj_getinthe
12-08-2004, 04:59 PM
How does one access the hot wire? I'm assuming it's in the mass of wires under the steering column streaming from the ignition barrel. People have told me "just start removing screws." I've looked around that area, and there are no screws to be found. Am I overlooking something simple when it comes to accessing these wires? Also, what is the appliance called that tests for hot wires? Thanks much.

hyarnell1
12-09-2004, 07:59 AM
OK. Since you're not familar with the vast wiring in the newer Eldo's, I think you'd do best to see the friendly Cadillac dealer, and refer him(her) to page 8A-133-0 of the shop manual for tie-in points for your switch.

Add your comment to this topic!