Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How to take out & clean EGR Valve?.......

djje87
11-29-2004, 02:22 PM
Hello All,
I'm new here and would be greatly appreciated if anyone could instruct me on what the procedure is for getting to, taking out, and cleaning the EGR valve on a 94' S-10 Blazer.

BlazinUP
11-29-2004, 09:03 PM
this is what iv been told...........
take off the intake hose from plenum,,,,,,,,
remove all screws houlding the egr and wire.
soak egr in throttle body cleaner over night.
now this is the kicker....for there to be a full cleaning....the plenum must also be removed and cleaned.....how that i dont know...sprayed with cleaner....maybe.
rember it must be torqued back down the right way.
replace eger etc......and your done.
now iv heard it gets dirty again....rather quickly
(which seams to be the problem) and theres a company that makes some kind of mesh cover
to place on the egr....stops or helps reduce carbon buildup.
i cant rember the name of the company....maybe someone will read this and comeup with it.

well good luck....im shure others will have info...
again..this is what iv red....not what iv done..yet.

JackDaniels386
11-29-2004, 09:54 PM
Tomco makes the egr screen thing to keep most carbon from getting in it. i think its www.tomco-inc.com

JackDaniels386
11-29-2004, 10:00 PM
to clean it, like BlazinUP said, just take the vaccum hose off, take the bolts off (theres only 2), take it off and clean it, you can use one of those small wire brushes and spray carbeurator cleanor in it, or just let it soak in carb cleaner for a while, also you might want to replace the gasket too. then just put you the other gasket on it, bolt it back on, and hook it back up to the little vaccum hose, and ur ready.

Mikado14
11-29-2004, 10:06 PM
If it's a '94 with a 4.3L it will have an LEGR, no vacuum lines, only a plug with wires.

BlazerLT
11-29-2004, 11:41 PM
1.) Disconnect negative battery cable.

2.) Remove Intake assembly. Remember the IAT sensr wire under it.

3.) Remove EGR electrical connector.

4.) Remove EGR bolts.

5.) Remove EGR valve and old gasket.

6.) Spray liberally inside of the valve with TB cleaner and use an old toothbrush to clean around the pintle.

7.) Rinse with TB Cleaner.

8.) Install new EGR gasket.

9.) Reinstall EGR valve, reconnect the electrical connector, reconnect the intake assembly and reconnect the IAT sensor connector.

10.) Reconnect negative battery terminal.

11.) Profit: You just saved yourself a EGR valve replacement.

troubles789
11-30-2004, 12:32 PM
I noticed that the pintle has a hex head on the end of it. Do you know if it can be screwed out? I turned it a few times left and right just to free it up. But was scared to try to keep turning it to see. Does anyone know if it is removable (pintle).

BlazerLT
11-30-2004, 02:12 PM
I noticed that the pintle has a hex head on the end of it. Do you know if it can be screwed out? I turned it a few times left and right just to free it up. But was scared to try to keep turning it to see. Does anyone know if it is removable (pintle).

We never said to screw the pintle in any way.

Just leave it the way it is and push the pintle in and make sure it is moving freely.

troubles789
11-30-2004, 05:17 PM
We never said to screw the pintle in any way.

Just leave it the way it is and push the pintle in and make sure it is moving freely.

Just for info purposes. Have you ever tried to see if it would come out, unscrew? Just wondering if it can be ajusted in and out by the hex screw too. Even though I know now it springs back and forth.

BlazerLT
11-30-2004, 05:48 PM
No.

It cannot be adjusted.

BlazinUP
12-14-2004, 08:20 PM
whats happons if you dont disco the batt cable when doin this......is there a need for resetting sencers?

BlazerLT
12-14-2004, 08:33 PM
Yes, so it relearns the fuel curve properly and removes any sensor compensation for the plugged EGR valve.

BlazinUP
12-14-2004, 08:50 PM
sounds good...thanks

BlazerLT
12-14-2004, 08:53 PM
No problem.

recurve
12-31-2004, 03:14 PM
Removing the EGR valve proved very difficult for me. I must have missed something.

I have the EGR valve soaking in carbon cleaner overnight, and will attempt reinstalling it tomorrow.

My problem was accessibility. After moving the air intake and disconnecting the IAT sensor wire, I still had very little space to work around on my '95 Blazer 4.3 L "w" engine. Using a 10mm wrench I could slowly and barely work on the left bolt. Using a 10mm socket and long extension neck, I was able to remove the right bolt. Slowly, and very carefully, with the help of my wife's slender hands, we were able to get the bolts out and luckily not drop them into the truck.

What am I missing? I am a bit scared of what lays before me tomorrow. I'm not sure if I can get those bolts back on.

Thanks in advance,
-- recurve

BlazerLT
01-01-2005, 08:58 AM
This is a no brainer bud, use a knuckle on the end of the extension for flexibility.

I also recommend you put a bit of paper towel across the end of the socket to hold the bolt into place while you insert it into the hole.

BTW, make sure you reinstall with a new EGR gasket.

recurve
01-01-2005, 02:57 PM
You are the man BlazerLT!

That paper towel on the tip trick worked like a charm. Yes, I installed a new GP Sorenson brand Gasket for $4 from Advance Auto Parts. The EGR valve is back on and the truck seems to be running great. No loping that I can discern. Good stuff.

Thanks again,
-- recurve

BlazerLT
01-01-2005, 06:28 PM
no problem, glad to help you, I know my first time was a bitch until someone told me about the papertowel trick.

marooned blazer
05-30-2005, 01:35 AM
once the egr bolts are free, can the egr valve be removed without disconnecting the serpintine belt adjuster. It seems it would be a mighty tight squeeze to remove the egr valve. thanks for any help. Marooned blazer.

BlazerLT
05-30-2005, 02:38 AM
once the egr bolts are free, can the egr valve be removed without disconnecting the serpintine belt adjuster. It seems it would be a mighty tight squeeze to remove the egr valve. thanks for any help. Marooned blazer.

Yes, it will come out.

Kurai
05-30-2005, 04:30 AM
If you've got an engine like mine (W series) and the EGR is right under the air intake of the plenum, it's a real pain in the neck. I just took the plenum off to get to mine. :/

BlazerLT
05-30-2005, 02:13 PM
If you've got an engine like mine (W series) and the EGR is right under the air intake of the plenum, it's a real pain in the neck. I just took the plenum off to get to mine. :/

No, you can remove the electrical connector, remove the two bolts and it will come out. No need to remove the upper plenum.

BTW, I hope you replaced the upper plenum gasket when you did that.

rstyrlz
08-13-2005, 10:43 PM
1.) Disconnect negative battery cable.

2.) Remove Intake assembly. Remember the IAT sensr wire under it.

3.) Remove EGR electrical connector.

4.) Remove EGR bolts.

5.) Remove EGR valve and old gasket.

6.) Spray liberally inside of the valve with TB cleaner and use an old toothbrush to clean around the pintle.

7.) Rinse with TB Cleaner.

8.) Install new EGR gasket.

9.) Reinstall EGR valve, reconnect the electrical connector, reconnect the intake assembly and reconnect the IAT sensor connector.

10.) Reconnect negative battery terminal.

11.) Profit: You just saved yourself a EGR valve replacement.
Can I assume its the same procedure for a 87 2.8L with vacuum hose instead of wires?

BlazerLT
08-14-2005, 12:46 PM
Pretty close.

Add your comment to this topic!