Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Bonneville's 3.8

Jeep&Canyon
11-29-2004, 02:06 PM
I am considering buying a second vehicle in 2-4 years. I would be either looking at a 04/05 Bonneville SLE, or a Buick LaCrosse CX. My first car was a 1990 Oldsmobile Delta 88 2-Door, which also had a 3.8, and I really liked that engine - never any problems, always peppy and reliable.

I was just wondering if Bonneville is adequately powered with the 3.8? As well as anything else you might want to mention (likes/dislikes/gripes) about the Bonneville. Please only post back if you have a 1999 model or later, with a 3.8L V6. Thanks!

Madcat455
11-29-2004, 11:25 PM
While not haveing any experience with the bonneville, I have owned several 3800 engines... One had 212K & still ran perfect when I sold the car.

Power shouldn't be a problem, NA 3800's are quite peppy... Although they do tend to have upper intake gasket problems with the Series 2 engine. Supercharged versions don't have that problem.... and are VERY nice in the power dept.

I also have plans on a newer Bonneville soon... I really like the styling inside & out. I really wanted one with the HUD though.... I haven't seen any newer Bonnevilles with that option... I wonder if its still available.

My Grandfather had a new Bonneville every year.... drove them on pleanty of occasions. Allways left a smile on my face.

Good Luck.

Hansnet
11-30-2004, 12:34 PM
Series 3 are good motors but I would go for a supercharged option if power was an issue. The LaCrosse's are just 3.8 centurys. if power is really an issue go test drive a GXP bonnie.

2000+ SSEi's are VERY nice cars. You can get a very nice one under warranty for the cost of an 04/05 SLE

randy78
12-01-2004, 01:13 PM
Series 3 are good motors but I would go for a supercharged option if power was an issue. The LaCrosse's are just 3.8 centurys. if power is really an issue go test drive a GXP bonnie.

2000+ SSEi's are VERY nice cars. You can get a very nice one under warranty for the cost of an 04/05 SLE

good engine yes, 3800 anyways for sure, just had a 93 come in with blown up 3800 at 250k miles, all original, it ran like new til it blew up, it dropped a valve ehad and destroyed a piston and sent it all into the oil pan

take care of an engine and it will last, keep engine from getting dark, change it often, more often then others do, and keep antifreeze flushed and put timing sets in it every 60k or so, and it will last if you dont rail it

Hansnet
12-01-2004, 09:19 PM
it will last if you dont rail it

well a lot will last even if you do compared to other similar cars.

BFT
12-08-2004, 08:25 AM
Love that engine. 3.8 and 150,000 miles later it still runs strong.

HeyWire
12-17-2004, 09:30 PM
As far as I know, and dont kill me if I'm wrong... The Delta 88 and the Bonneville are the same car... so is the LeSabre. At least my 96 Delta and the other cars have a ton of the same parts and the body looks the same, besides the sheet metal. So yeah, the 3800 has what it takes as far as I'm concerned.

otto034
12-20-2004, 11:04 PM
my 92 bonneville ssei had engine bearing problems, #1 bearing is overloaded by running both belts on 1 side of crank shaft pulley.i went through 3 engines, i think gm finally changed belt location and have lighter drag on accessories,the standard 3800 is a great engine,i think gm fixed that problem on ssei

tico_chico
12-24-2004, 11:21 AM
I purchased a 2001 SSEi last September, and have loved it so far. I've put about 4,000 miles on it already. Power is great, and the car feels so comfortable mergine onto the highway. In a nutshell, the thing has attitude. Both in looks and performance.

My family has had several vehicles with the 3.8 engine, and have always had good service out of them. Any repair bills for any of the cars were for things unrelated to the engine. My parents had an oldsmobile ninety-eight with that engine and 125,000 miles on it. Still got around 30mpg on the highway, and loved to do it with four of us and all our luggage for a week loaded in it. And the engine didn't burn anything but the 87 octane we put in the tank. No leaks either.

Like anything else, the key is to take care of it. But you can still have fun when the opportunity (or desire) arises. ;-)

OldsBuickGuy82
12-24-2004, 11:52 PM
As far as I know, and dont kill me if I'm wrong... The Delta 88 and the Bonneville are the same car... so is the LeSabre. At least my 96 Delta and the other cars have a ton of the same parts and the body looks the same, besides the sheet metal. So yeah, the 3800 has what it takes as far as I'm concerned.

You're right on there!....In fact the Oldsmobile Ninty Eight Regency (Discontinued) and Buick Park Avenue are the same car too - mechanically. I've been saying that for years but some people just will not accept it. There are some small styling differences between the models but basically they are the same cars...

As for the LeSabre, Eighty Eight and Bonneville, I've had all three models with the same size engine in each and all three are fantastic automobiles. The 3.8 comes highly recommended. The very first 3.8 I had was an 86 Olds Eighty Eight and when the transmission finally died and I sold the car the engine was still running like new with over 250,000 clicks...Great cars and engines.

Later:)

Add your comment to this topic!