van won't start after running out of gas.

fiatx199
11-29-2004, 12:42 PM
My wife ran out of gas in our 2000 silouette, after putting a 1/4 tank of gas in the vehicle it still will not start. This happened once before 9 months prior and the auto shop replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, some gaskets, and changed the oil and they said that fixed it. Does anyone have any idea what this could be.

redly1
11-29-2004, 03:28 PM
check your fuses would be my first guess

I've always heard if you run your tank dry, it can burn out the fuel pump Either the gas lubricates the pump, or cools it...I can't remember

So, after the car has been sitting for a few hours, go out and turn the key ahead but not all the way to the starting position. Have a helper listen for a noise from the fuel tank area. Normally you should hear a whooshing sound as the fuel pump pressurizes the system.
No sound would lead me to suspect the fuel pump

rongbien99
03-14-2009, 11:24 AM
This just happen to my wife's van. Now it won't start. What was your repair cost? I now need to figure out where to tow it for repair. Thanks!!!

ctwright
03-14-2009, 11:40 AM
Don't assume it's the fuel pump automatically. If you don't hear the whine at the gas cap with the cap off when someone puts turns the key on, the next step is to check for power to your fuel pump, not assume it's the fuel pump. You can use a Haynes manual and look at the electrical diagrams in the back to help with this. More than likely it is the pump but a bad relay or a blown fuse is a lot cheaper to replace than a pump.

bodoquemen
03-15-2009, 12:50 AM
There are some debris in the bottom of the tank that is swallowed when the tank runs empty, so first of all replace your fuel filter before attempt any other repair, it could be clogged.

rockwood84
03-28-2009, 03:05 PM
have you tried taking the fuel filter off and see if any pressure is at the filter .as the fuel rail bleeder is behind the powersteering tank[a genius put it there].it could be just a lot of air in the fuel line .the gas lubes the pump vanes and keeps the pump cool.but you need to check the pump pressure to see if the pump is holding close to 50 pounds if not then the fuelpump is bad.

Add your comment to this topic!