Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'88 dl wont start... any ideas?

misledxcracker
11-28-2004, 05:39 PM
i have a '88 subaru dl, 98k on the clock, automatic.

im having a problem with it not starting, it's not getting spark. i checked for spark from the coil wire, and theres absolutely no spark. i had a fuel pump problem with my other car, and this problem with the Subaru sounds the same... it tries to turn over, crank, crank, crank, but wont start up.

i cant exactly tell if the fuel pump is getting power, but the fuse is not blown and this hasnt been intermittent, it just stopped 3 days ago. car ran fine, no symptoms of a faulty fuel pump.... just now no spark.

it had a starter problem and an alternator problem, which both parts were replaced and everything is ok with that.

any ideas on what the problem could be with my car?

also, LOVE the forum :biggrin:

-gary

2strokebloke
12-02-2004, 02:35 PM
Check the wiring of the igition system. You may have a faulty ignition switch.

madkow
12-07-2004, 06:27 PM
Check ignition amplifier...little black thing on the coil bracket
check and clean all grounds
did you check timing belts?
plug the 2 little green plugs (located near left hood hinge) together and turn on the key and your fuel pump should cycle on and off.
for good suby info go to www.ultimatesubaru.net and check there forums

MilesFox
01-01-2005, 02:16 AM
take the distributor cap off and see if the rotor turns when you crank the engine. if it doesnt turn you have a broken timing belt. the timing belts are supposed to be changed at 60k and every 60 k after.

if the rotor is turning suspect the crank angle sensor. try pyulling the engine codes. the Haynes Manual for subaru 1600 and 1800 is very good and has the code procedure

Add your comment to this topic!