Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Race Gas / NOS

civicfreak1
11-28-2004, 02:20 AM
Hi ppl .... i got 2 questions here ....

#1= Can there be a substitute of Race Gas ????
i can't really find race gas around here.... the best i can get is a 91 octance gas.....

#2= I have heard ppl use nos in the intercooler to cool the compressed air flowing thru it....
my question here is .. how much nos can be safely use without blowing/breaking anything....

i have a built motor (head work done, and built block) but last time the plugs melted on me when i used too much nos....

crxlvr
11-28-2004, 11:47 AM
1: use an octane booster, however this can become costly as everytime you fill the car with gas you need to add this into the tank also.

2: you need to know how much nos can you spray at an intercooler before something breaks, or into your car?

CivicSpoon
11-28-2004, 12:52 PM
Oh man. You've misunderstood the information you read. They don't put NOS (nitrous) in the intercooler, there is a kit that sprays nitrous onto the outside of the intercooler. You hit the button and it sprays it on the intercooler so it cools it down a lot more. Check this out (it's a .pdf file) http://www.nitrousexpress.com/Catalog/2005/ntercooler.pdf

integrawhat
11-28-2004, 09:21 PM
you need colder plugs and adjust your timing better. and ive heard moth balls raise your octain rating but thats kinda scary and have no clue what kinda things could go wrong but if your up for a good test and tune let us know. lol

civickiller
11-28-2004, 10:03 PM
is there an airport around where you live ? you can buy race gas over the internet

civicfreak1
11-30-2004, 10:22 AM
you need colder plugs and adjust your timing better. and ive heard moth balls raise your octain rating but thats kinda scary and have no clue what kinda things could go wrong but if your up for a good test and tune let us know. lol

Colder Plugs.....

i was using zex three tip something like that plugs the last time when i melt one of them ... i was told they were made to use with nos.....
could u please tell me ... which ones should i buy .....

and i have another question now....
wouldn't using the nos in my intercooler would cool the compressed air down as well ... ????

and yes there is an airport near my house...

And about the octance boosters..... they are avaliable here ...
They r like nos octance booster ,,, i think thats wht it said on the box...
so u are saying that i can use them with my full tanks...
but how man of those will i have to pour into a full tank..

civicfreak1
11-30-2004, 10:27 AM
also...
brother how will i know "how much nos to spray that will not break anything in my car" ?

civickiller
11-30-2004, 12:24 PM
ok you cant use too much nos, if your plugs melted that has to do with your plugs and tuning.

if there is an airport where you live, they more then likely sell high octane gas there, that you can buy from them and fill your car up.

and yes spraying your intercooler will lower intake temps. how much are you boosting ? how much nos you shooting ?

civicHBsi91
11-30-2004, 03:33 PM
zex plugs suck, go with champions or ngk's...

civicfreak1
12-02-2004, 11:48 AM
okay i'll check out with the airport ppl, and where they buy their fuel from....i am running 25 pounds of boost and 100 shot nos...
but i like the idea of using octance boosters...
do u know how much octance they increase.. if one bottle is mixed with one full tank...

civickiller
12-02-2004, 08:25 PM
ok 25psi and 100shot of nos, dont expect that motor to last too long. how much hp are you running ? have you had to tuend yet ?

as for octane booster, say you have 91 pump gas, you add octane boost, on the back it says 5 to 7, so now you have 91.5 or 91.7.

civicfreak1
12-03-2004, 09:51 AM
ok 25psi and 100shot of nos, dont expect that motor to last too long. how much hp are you running ? have you had to tuend yet ?

as for octane booster, say you have 91 pump gas, you add octane boost, on the back it says 5 to 7, so now you have 91.5 or 91.7.

Sir i got darton sleeves, cp pistons, 4340 aircraft quality eagle rods..
thats it for the block
in the head i got
skunk 2 titanium retainers
skunk 2 turbo cams
skunk 2 dual vavle springs
skunk 2 valves
arp head studs....
quief lsd ...

i thought these were enough saftey precautions ...

please correct me if i am wrong ...
i think we'll be pushing around 500+ hp ////

civickiller
12-03-2004, 02:09 PM
is this a full race car or street car ? and when you say you think we'll be pushing that much power then you havent made that much power yet

what motor? what bore ? what stroke ? who ported the head ? what kind intake mani ? what kind of engine management ? what size turbo ?

civicfreak1
12-04-2004, 10:24 AM
is this a full race car or street car ? and when you say you think we'll be pushing that much power then you havent made that much power yet

what motor? what bore ? what stroke ? who ported the head ? what kind intake mani ? what kind of engine management ? what size turbo ?

B16A - Generation1
standard darton sleeves - standard bore 9 compression pistons
head has not been ported or polished... since no one knows how to do it around here.... (i wish i could do it myself but i ain't that smart)
stock intake manifold
uberdata rngine management
Full-race stage 3 gt35r

talk about proting the head....

do u guys know ??? how to port my head ???
or only if someone of u could provide me with pictures???

and do u ppl think i should buy some kind of oil cooling kit ???
i ppl say b16a has the best oil cooling system and i don't need to mess with that ... is that true ??

sorry if i ask to many questions .... its only cuz there is no other way to learn

civicfreak1
12-04-2004, 10:25 AM
by the way its not a street car....
its fully dedicated to racing

and also i read somewhere that b16a heads flow even better than the type R ones... thats why i haven't paid much attention to porting...

and there r no dynos here ... so i will never be able to find out wht is the actual hp i'll be making////

we are tunning off of wideband o2 and EGT guages...

boost controller is apexi AVCR by the way

civickiller
12-04-2004, 02:11 PM
lots of places you can send your head off to get ported.
this is where i wanna send my head off too www.alaniztechnologies.com

what rods/pistons do you have ?
you need to get rid of the stock intake mani and tb. jg intake mani and whatever company you can find that makes, my choice, a 70mm tb.

b16 heads dont flow better, but they do flow good.
tuning without a dyno is no good. you arent gonna get max hp unless you go on a dyno. whos doing your tuning ? how are you checking for detonation ?

LongBaller
12-05-2004, 01:22 AM
Octane boosters are a waste of money-no appreciable gains to be had.

Toluene WILL raise your octane points considerably (R+M/2 of 114) but MUST be used judiciously and handled with care (benzene).

DO NOT port and polish your own head/manifold if you do not know what you are doing. It is a highly specialized machining skill akin to designing cam profiles. Look into Extrude Honing as an option-there may be a shop/facility in your area capable of doing the work.

An oil cooler would be an excellent idea and should provide a great deal of insurance.

An aquamist water injection system is something you shold check out as well.

civicfreak1
12-05-2004, 12:32 PM
i have been thinking about getting a bigger t/b and an intake manifold.....
abotu the race gas...
please read this and lemme know if this will work ...

To make your own octane booster, it is easiest to make up a large batch, and then bottle it up in "dosage-size" uses.
Below is the basic formula of one of the popular octane booster products. To make eight 16 ounce bottles (128 oz = 1 gal):

100 oz of toluene for octane boost
25 oz of mineral spirits (cleaning agent)
3 oz of transmission fluid (lubricating agent)
This product is advertised as "octane booster with cleaning agent *and* lubricating agent!". Diesel fuel or kerosene can be substituted for mineral spirits and light turbine oil can be substituted for transmission fluid. Color can be added with petroleum dyes.

civickiller
12-05-2004, 03:21 PM
what no luck at the airport ?

eckoman_pdx
12-05-2004, 06:07 PM
This is not the most accurate way to judge approx hp in the world, but if you truly haveno dyno's around where you live, you can always by a G-Tech comp pro meter. This will give you a horsepower reading. Not as good as a dyno, but it you truly have none where you live a dyno isn't an option then. In this case the G-Tech comp pro would at least give you an approximate idea of where you stand.

civickiller
12-05-2004, 07:25 PM
g tech doesnt even matter, so hes gonna know how much peak hp he has. he still isnt gonna be able to tune his car to max hp. you can only tune fuel on the street, you cant tune timing. go find the nearest dyno in yoru area and take it there and get it tuned good

civicfreak1
12-05-2004, 08:00 PM
there r really no dynos around here ,,,,
we have to live off of base maps///
unless i send my car to UAE which is kinda far....
and will cost hell of a lot of money ....
and thing else i could buy to tune my car ???
any clues ??

CivicSpoon
12-05-2004, 08:22 PM
if you want reliability and max power then no, dyno tuning is the only way to go.

civicfreak1
12-05-2004, 08:28 PM
well life sucks i guess.....
don't really have manyh choices now do i ///

civicfreak1
12-05-2004, 08:31 PM
by way ...
yeah no luck @ the airport.....
do u think the formulla above for octance boost will work ???

CivicSpoon
12-05-2004, 09:08 PM
should work, I'd look around a little more online and make sure it's a good formula. I used to have a site bookmarked but the page is down now unfortunately. First thing I looked for when I saw this thread.

civickiller
12-05-2004, 10:58 PM
http://www.vpracingfuels.com why dont you just order racing fuel, like i mentioned before ?

also what you can drive it to a dyno ? dont own a truck or trailer ? how did you plan on getting it to the track ?

civicfreak1
12-06-2004, 12:46 PM
importing a constant supply of racing fuel is goin to be kinda hard...
but i did talk to the local aviation guys...
they said they can hook me up with 100 octance fuel.... ... i wanted 114 do u think 100 is good enough.... cuz i kinda doubt it....
and civic spoon could u please look up for me if this formula will realy work... cuz i can always use it with 100octance i can get from here ...
there r no dynos in my country .,,,,i know a few ppl that are planning onn importing one.,,, but that won't be soon .... so i haev to live off of base maps... and run rich.... tune using egt and wideband o2 .... this is the best i think i can do ...
if we had a dyno here ... i wouldn't haev bought sleeves and would have gone with 10 compression pistons... not 9 ....

i sure need all of u expert ppl's opinions.... u guys are being a real value help to me....
THANKS A MILLIONS

civickiller
12-06-2004, 02:07 PM
hmm so you live in a different country. that makes it kidn of hard. 100 octane is unleaded still so you dont gotta worry about your cat or o2 sensor as opposed to with leaded fuel.

and while yes it would be better to run c16, 100 octane is still very good.
lets put it this way, people run c16 just as insurance that they dont detonate, most of the time they dont need octane that high. with your 25psi which is probably around 500whp and that 100 shot you plan to run, 100 octane should be able to handle that but just keep an eye on your timing and check the plugs, do you know how to check the plugs for detonation ?

CivicSpoon
12-06-2004, 03:41 PM
Here's a calculation i found of how to figure out how much toluene you need to get a certain octane:
(gallons of gasoline X that gases octane) + (How many gallons of toluene you're using X 114 {the octane of toluene?}) / size of your gas tank = Octane of mixture.
Here's an Example on the site I found:
"For example, the tank of an Audi A4 1.8TQ is 15.6 gallons. Filling it with 14.6 gallons of 92 octane and 1 gallon of toluene (114 octane) will yield a fuel mix of:
(14.6 * 92) + (1 * 114) / 15.6 = 93.4"
Here's the site, it has a lot more info on it: http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/misc/octaneexplained.html

eckoman_pdx
12-06-2004, 06:10 PM
civickiller & Civicspoon, civicfreak1 mentioned in a pervious thread he lives in Pakistan. I fully trust him when he says there really are no dyno's around. He mentioned above that the UAE had a dyno, but look at map, that's quite far. Importing his car to a forgein country would indeed be very expensive. If you look at a map, the closest route to the UAE is via boat, and sending a car via boat is not cheap and takes a long while. If he chose to trailer it there like was suggested above it very well could mean driving through Iran, Iraq, and Saudi Arabia to get to the UAE. That's quiet a distance. True, a dyno is the best way, but a dyno there seems to be too far for him to get to, just like he has been saying. I am sure if the dyno was closer he's find a way to get there. A trailer trip through @ least 3 countries to reach a dyno don't seem like plausable idea.

The reason I suggested the G-tech wasn't to tune the car. It was to give him an approx peak hp output reading. As we know, no dyno not only affects the tuning, but he won't know his peak hp level. The G-tech comp would work fine for that. At least he'll know an approx peak hp with the G-tech. It would give him an idea of where it stands if nothing else.

BTW, Civicspoon, that toulene/octane link you provided was an intersting read.

CivicSpoon
12-06-2004, 06:30 PM
Oh he's in Pakistan? Why the hell does his profile say Canada? Guess I can understand why he doesn't have a dyno anywhere near him then :D I was thinking to myself "he's in Canada and no place near him has a dyno, wtf?"
Glad you like the link, I also thought it was a pretty interesting read.

eckoman_pdx
12-06-2004, 06:39 PM
Oh he's in Pakistan? Why the hell does his profile say Canada? Guess I can understand why he doesn't have a dyno anywhere near him then :D I was thinking to myself "he's in Canada and no place near him has a dyno, wtf?"
Glad you like the link, I also thought it was a pretty interesting read.

Hmm, not sure why it says that. Oh well. Anyways,he mentioned this in his first thread. I noticed you and civickiller posted in that thread also, maybe you just didn't notice it. Here's the link in case your curious. It's the 5th post down.
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=292718

CivicSpoon
12-06-2004, 07:32 PM
Ohhhh yeah now I remember.

civickiller
12-07-2004, 05:12 AM
hey eckoman didnt i mention in my last post in this thread that i realized hes in a different country, end of page 2 in case you didnt read and pay attention. what feel big and you need to point out things that i already mentioned. :disappoin :disappoin

g tech is good if you want to know your peak hp but thats it, if there are alot of other racers in the area, you might want to think about setting up a dyno, first dyno in the area could make alot of money

civicfreak1
12-07-2004, 10:18 AM
thanks alot for the link man....
not only it will help me with the race fuel problem but will also give me less knock....
and i won't have to retire my timing as much as well...... i don't think i can buy a g-tech now...
since i do not feel like giving up on my vertical door lifts... i wanna buy em more than anything ,,, and i'll kinda run out of budget....

i am goin to be giving my car in for a paint job tomorrow.... and start preparing for my exams... won;t be getting it back till one week
i'll come back to u guys for4 help agian ...if i need in one week ....
hope u guys have a great week ....
zillion thanks ....

PS: the reason my profile says i am from canada is cuz i used to live in toronto before i moved here to pakiland...

eckoman_pdx
12-07-2004, 06:16 PM
hey eckoman didnt i mention in my last post in this thread that i realized hes in a different country, end of page 2 in case you didnt read and pay attention. what feel big and you need to point out things that i already mentioned. :disappoin :disappoin

g tech is good if you want to know your peak hp but thats it, if there are alot of other racers in the area, you might want to think about setting up a dyno, first dyno in the area could make alot of money

Hey now, don't start getting all offended and mouthy. I wasn't trying to act all big and bad, so don't accuse me falsly of such. I did read and pay attention. You gavew no mention of the country he was in, none. If fact, it looked as if you didn't remember he was in a forgein country as much as realize it after he said the following...civicfreak1 said,

importing a constant supply of racing fuel is goin to be kinda hard...

After he said importing fuel is going to be hard, you said...hmm so you live in a different country. that makes it kidn of hard.

I was not trying to insult you, I was mearly pointin out that he was in Pakistan, something that no-one seemed to remember as it was never mentioned. Now please don't go accusing me falsly of things and then sayiung "disappointing" for whatever the reasons you did was. The fact is most people realized he was in a forgein country until he mentioned it, and even then you didn't act as if you suddenly remebered which one, you said..."hmm so you live in a different country. that makes it kidn of hard. "

It's not big, I brought up he's in Pakistan because no one seemed to realize this. In every thread this guy posts, I see someone saying " go heard or order this." Being so far away is most likly one reason he is trying to ask and learn things. There likely arn't many options in Pakistan, so he is left doign a lot of it himself.

Please do not falsly accuse others and then insult them by saying "disappoinin." Whether this was an honest miscomunication or an attempt to save face, it is uncalled for.

Now lefts drop all this and get back to helping civicfreak1 with his questions. We are all here to help other members, not to bicker and argue.

Privatebigandrew
12-08-2004, 08:39 PM
zex plugs suck, go with champions or ngk's...
HAHAHAHAHA champions...you are kidding right. Those are the cheapest plugs on the market......i would but spark plugs from wal-mart in my car before i put champions in my car. Try NGK iridium IX plugs....i pet em in mine and it made a huge difference...i think you can order them in different heat ranges too

civicHBsi91
12-09-2004, 01:52 AM
HAHAHAHAHA champions...you are kidding right. Those are the cheapest plugs on the market......i would but spark plugs from wal-mart in my car before i put champions in my car. Try NGK iridium IX plugs....i pet em in mine and it made a huge difference...i think you can order them in different heat ranges too

They have had good results with nitrous. Just because you have not been informed of it doesent mean you should knock it.

Champion RC9YC4 or NGK BKR7E-11

civicfreak1
12-09-2004, 12:04 PM
well thanks man ... i will look into these ngk plugs...

civicfreak1
12-10-2004, 11:30 AM
hi ppl back agian .,,,,
with the same thread... same question
i am getting low-led 100 octance gasoline...
and i am planning on adding 30% toulene to it..
do u think ... this will work fine ... i think it'll give me around 106 to 108 octance somewhere///
should i add something else to it ...
like the transmission fluid and a little bit of diesel...

also.....

should i disable the knock sensor while doing the management or.... should i leave it there to retire the timing in case of detonation ???

civickiller
12-11-2004, 02:30 PM
since you dont have a dyno to tune on. go buy a knock monitering device like j&s so that way you can monitor knock. the stock knock is good but you cant monitor it.

thats about the best way you can tune timing without a dyno, keep advancing till you start knocking then retard a few degrees.

civickiller
12-11-2004, 02:35 PM
i wouldnt run anything but ngks in my car. not knocking champions because they are good spark plugs too, i just rather run ngks

and privateandrew, i doubt htey made a huge difference, unless the spark plugs you took out were so badly gone already. i think it was all in your head

civicHBsi91
12-11-2004, 03:06 PM
I agree in some applications champions dont run very well but in nitrous applications they have seemed to do well.

Personally I run denso/ngk but champions have had good results with nitrous.

civicfreak1
10-10-2005, 02:18 PM
ppl, i shoudnt be posting in this dead thread right now, but I wanna thank all of u for all the help, my car actually got completed last week, and i am super glad to tell all of u that, i killed a wrx last night in a quarter mile, and i am running on pump-gas and pussing around 19psi... i have no idea how much hp i am making.... i am guessing i am above 300 for sure...

Kuntry_Boi06
10-14-2005, 08:07 AM
well i dont no if you ever heard of this or not but around here for racing fuel we dissolve one moth ball ( bought from wal-marts craft section ) into every gallon of gas we use

Kuntry_Boi06
10-14-2005, 08:08 AM
i forgot to mention that it is a cheap octane booster and works really really well its just like racing fuel

Add your comment to this topic!