Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

TRACK story

SilverY2KCivic
11-27-2004, 10:29 PM
Since atreet racing is over rated anyways... :loser:

So today I went to my very first actual track event ever. It was at Streets of Willow Springs (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/phixion/Stuffs/StreetLg.gif) (the configuration we had in red) here in So. Cali, the desert area to be specific. It's a 1.8 mile road stile course, similar to say Buttonwillow raceway or the much larger Leguna Seca raceway. Let me tell you all, that was the BEST time I've ever had in my car, or on 4 wheels for that matter. There really is nothing like true wheel to wheel style racing. I'll admit I was deathly scared about being on the track in my car, with 25 OTHER cars out on the track along with me. Granted we had specified passing zones since I was in a beginners group, but still... Luckily in the day, no one got hurt, and NO ONE'S car got damaged, though quite a few left course and went "farming" as they call it there, LOL!

Best part of the day was when some S2k's and even an E36 style M3 coupe came up on my ass, and then on a few particular turns, I was able to pull AWAY from them simply because I can throttle through and out of certain corners that they have to brake in or coast through otherwise and throttle input would make them spinout or lose control. I myself didn't spin out during the whole day, which I'd say is pretty respectable. Basically if you spinout on a track, it's because you're going too fast (unless it's from a tire blowout). Nothing like screaming down the main straight though, pushing near 100mph! :cool:

crx91
11-28-2004, 12:14 PM
nice

SilverY2KCivic
11-28-2004, 07:52 PM
nice

For sure!
It sure as hell beats having to worry about cops and going 100mph, and being able to SAFELY and legally take turns at fast speeds! Hey, $100 for the day is much better than getting your car towed permentantly and $3000 or so in fines. It's a win win situation. :cool: Most of all, it's the best rush you'll have in your car!

knorwj
12-01-2004, 01:07 AM
WOW, sounds like alot of fun, I wish there was a track by me to try my hand at it. All I got is some empty back country roads.

PS: why has no one posted in street/track in almost a day and a half? weird

GScivic7
12-01-2004, 01:09 AM
track days would be fun to hit up if they weren't something like $300+ for one day.

Miataracer
12-01-2004, 03:02 AM
Since atreet racing is over rated anyways... :loser:

So today I went to my very first actual track event ever. It was at Streets of Willow Springs (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/phixion/Stuffs/StreetLg.gif) (the configuration we had in red) here in So. Cali, the desert area to be specific. It's a 1.8 mile road stile course, similar to say Buttonwillow raceway or the much larger Leguna Seca raceway. Let me tell you all, that was the BEST time I've ever had in my car, or on 4 wheels for that matter. There really is nothing like true wheel to wheel style racing. I'll admit I was deathly scared about being on the track in my car, with 25 OTHER cars out on the track along with me. Granted we had specified passing zones since I was in a beginners group, but still... Luckily in the day, no one got hurt, and NO ONE'S car got damaged, though quite a few left course and went "farming" as they call it there, LOL!

Best part of the day was when some S2k's and even an E36 style M3 coupe came up on my ass, and then on a few particular turns, I was able to pull AWAY from them simply because I can throttle through and out of certain corners that they have to brake in or coast through otherwise and throttle input would make them spinout or lose control. I myself didn't spin out during the whole day, which I'd say is pretty respectable. Basically if you spinout on a track, it's because you're going too fast (unless it's from a tire blowout). Nothing like screaming down the main straight though, pushing near 100mph! :cool:

nothing quite like a real road course :bigthumb:

Ricochet
12-01-2004, 02:06 PM
I myself didn't spin out during the whole day, which I'd say is pretty respectable.
That's because you don't have enough power to worry about it :icon16:
Just kidding man, I'd love to hit a road course but the closest one we have is mid-ohio and it costs a pretty penny if they even let you race there. They don't like 4 bangers too much. My local car club (www.columbusracing.com) rented out the track for a day over the Summer and it was a blast to watch, but they only let people with fast cars race. The only 4 banger of the racing group was my buddy's turbocharged '97 240.

Ace$nyper
12-01-2004, 03:20 PM
track days would be fun to hit up if they weren't something like $300+ for one day.
its worth it!!

and i did it with my poor b1!

real track days are just hands down best. I can't wait to show up next year. Sounds like a lot of fun

GScivic7
12-01-2004, 04:30 PM
I don't know about $300. If it was around $100 like it is at Streets of Willow it would be, but I can think of a lot better things to do with $300. That's almost half the cost of my plane ticket to Australia for winter break next year.

SilverY2KCivic
12-01-2004, 09:30 PM
I don't know about $300. If it was around $100 like it is at Streets of Willow it would be, but I can think of a lot better things to do with $300. That's almost half the cost of my plane ticket to Australia for winter break next year.

Hit it on the nail. Only a fool would pay $300 for a track day unless they have a WHOLE section to themselves. Anyways, I only paid $100 to attend this event, about $20 less than most others there since it was a special price through my auto-X club. I'm going back again in 2 weeks (weekend of 11/12th) since I'm a track whore now and WAY hooked! :iceslolan And it's the same price, $100 for one day or $180 for both sat and sun!!! :smokin:

BTW Ricochet, I've spin my ass out in auto-X before, and it would actually be easier at the track if you get going fast enough, so I have the power. :uhoh: Actually it's since I have my rear end set stiffer suspension wise, which allows me to rotate the car easier and better with minimal front end plow. On a few of my laps, I almost came into the "S" section too hot and I could feel the rear wanting to fishtail out. Crazy stuff indeed!

Ricochet
12-01-2004, 09:33 PM
BTW Ricochet, I've spin my ass out in auto-X before, and it would actually be easier at the track if you get going fast enough, so I have the power.
I know man, I've been there myself especially with a rear sway bar but I just love messing with the sohc guys :smokin:

S13wanabe
12-01-2004, 11:38 PM
SilverY2KCivic, i was just wondering what suspension you are using.

SilverY2KCivic
12-02-2004, 08:37 PM
SilverY2KCivic, i was just wondering what suspension you are using.

Tein SS coilovers
Tein 559lbs./ft and 336lbs./ft spring rate (F/R respectively) +2kg spring upgrade
Megan Racing H-brace
Megan Racing rear lower control arms
JDM/OEM Integra Type-R 22mm rear swaybar
Beak's Products rear subframe reinforcement kit
Energy Suspension polyurathene swaybar bushings
Neuspeed upper front strut tower brace

SilverY2KCivic
12-02-2004, 08:38 PM
I know man, I've been there myself especially with a rear sway bar but I just love messing with the sohc guys :smokin:

Bah, SOHC doesn't mean anything, it can be modded just the same, just one less cam to worry about. ;)

CivicSiRacer
12-02-2004, 11:18 PM
I need to get back to a track. I went to VIR back in Feb 2002 and it was great. NASA put on the show that weekend. I definitely learned a lot.

Wish I could try out Streets of Willow. I've seen video footage gallore/

SilverY2KCivic
12-02-2004, 11:34 PM
I need to get back to a track. I went to VIR back in Feb 2002 and it was great. NASA put on the show that weekend. I definitely learned a lot.

Wish I could try out Streets of Willow. I've seen video footage gallore/

OMG, and I hear it's one of the best around too, along with Buttonwillow out here. But it was awesome, 1.8 miles of basically limitless speed and racing without any real worries. I really want to get myself a DV camera and a good mount for it, so I can tape hopefully some of my laps when I go back in a couple weeks. Our even wasn't with NASA, but rather Speed Trials USA (http://www.speedtrialsusa.com) who hots various track evens around CA and other states too if I recall. They run the event like most other HPDE road racing events though. I did manage to find this picture (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/phixion/Stuffs/Matt2.jpg) of me and my Civic at the event, that a fellow auto-X'er that was there, took of various people from our club.

Add your comment to this topic!