Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

(american Comparison) Zo6 Vs. Viper Vs. Cobra R

Pages : [1] 2

Roadster2
02-27-2002, 04:36 PM
WHO IS THE BADDEST SPORTS CAR OUT THERE I STILL THINK IT THE COBRA R I MEAN WHO CARES IF IT DOESNT HAVE A RADIO OR AIR CONDITIONING UR RADIO IS THE SOUND OF THE 5.4 LITER V-8 385HP ENGINE RUMBLING THROUGH TI DUAL EXHAUST AND UR AIR CONDITIONER IS THE WINDOW DOWN

http://www.fordfans1.homestead.com/FORDFAN1.html

Polygon
02-27-2002, 05:39 PM
I am afraid that the Z06 and the Viper would mop the floor with a Cobra R. Between the Z06 and Viper however; it is a very close pick between these two but being a Mopar guy I have to pick the Viper.

del
02-27-2002, 07:44 PM
overall the zo6 hands down. the viper may outmuscle it but the vette does it with just that much more refinement. easier to live with everyday in IMO the obvious american icon.

RSScamaro
02-27-2002, 10:09 PM
in car and driver it went ...cobra r got 3rd cause it basically sucked to them....viper got 2nd cause of the tight jet like interior set up...and the z06 got 1st cause it is the least expensive of the 3 and the most fun to drive.... it wasnt as fast as the viper though but they didnt care...and you cant even answer this post unless you have driven the 3 for yourself....different people will have different opinions..i personally would have trouble choosing between the viper and z06 ..."im a chevy guy so i would most likely go for the z06".....but i would throw that cobra r out of this race period...they would be way better off using a saleen s351, why a cobra r !?

peace yall!

TatII
03-06-2002, 12:49 PM
the mustang cobra R looks nice. even better then the vette in my opinion. but after reading nothing but good things about the Z06. i love the Z06. if i were to get an american car. the Z06 is probrably the only american car that i would ever get.

Roadster2
03-08-2002, 06:20 AM
NOW WHEN THE NEW 2003 VIPER COMES OUT IT WILL BE THE BADDEST THEN THE 2002 ZO6 WITH 405HP AND I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT THE COBRA R BUT IT WILL PROBABLY REPLACED BY THE 2003 MUSTANG COBRA WITH 390HP

texasaggie04
03-13-2002, 03:38 PM
first i have to say i am a mustang fan...collect the older models...although, i am infatuated with the Viper, hope one day when i grow up, i can have one...not trying to make a biassed opion, but the Viper wins hands down, we're talkin pure american muscle...you can flip through older versions of car and driver and they agree...in all tests done, in 1/4 mile, top speed, road course, etc...the only event the viper got beat in was the road course by a ferrari, and it wasn't by that much...i love the styling of the cobra r, but it just doesn't compete with the viper or the z06...i have experience behind the wheel of the vette and i must say its quite a nice ride, but when your talkin these kinds of cars, your lookin for the loudest, deepest rumbling, bad ass muscle that makes other cars tremble, and the viper does that

YogsVR4
03-13-2002, 04:39 PM
Since its all subjective anyway, I'd go with the Viper. The other cars wouldn't make that great of a daily driver anyway so I'd lean toward more raw power then anything else. Not to mention, that there are tons of Mustangs and Vettes on the road (I know not the R or Z06) but there are not that many Vipers cruising around out there. I like having a bit of exclusiveness.

Never pay again for live sex! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=1) | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=3) | Chat for free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=5)

91HBSi
03-15-2002, 09:23 AM
I like the Z06.

flylwsi
04-29-2002, 07:17 PM
the 2003 viper is less exclusive looking though...

i would go viper for the looks...

for a daily driver, i would go zo6 b/c it is sooo perfect in so many aspects...

the viper is a "hey muhfugga, look at me" kinda car, which i really like, but i love cars that handle... zo6...

mainly b/c it has a/c over the cobra... cuz i love old stangs too, but the viper looks more like a part of that family than the new mustang...

USA Racer
04-30-2002, 08:48 PM
The ZO6. :cool: But that Viper is tempting... BTW, I'm assuming these cost the same in the compairo. If you gave me the keys to a Viper and said I could get a ZO6 instead I'd probably decline simply because the Viper costs more. :)

flylwsi
05-20-2002, 12:26 AM
the prices are very different in the comparo...

the zo6 is 48ish
cobra in the 50s (i believe)
and viper over 65

heres the question...

why do you want a more expensive car if the one that is 15k less can run circles around it?

vipers are cool, but unruly, and commonly found wrapped around things like fone poles...

if i gave you a civic that fit into the comparo (interior quality, suspension stuff, same times etc) and i told you it was worth 80k would you take it b/c it was worth more? hmmm...

91HBSi
05-21-2002, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by flylwsi

if i gave you a civic that fit into the comparo (interior quality, suspension stuff, same times etc) and i told you it was worth 80k would you take it b/c it was worth more? hmmm...

Bahahahaha

Fliquer
06-25-2002, 12:56 AM
You cant get a better performance deal than the z06.

Viper has awesome power but poor handling. The z06 and cobra will beat it on a tight track.

Cobra nearly as wonderful as the z06, but a bit too expensive.

My 2 cents.

Ando_Rules
06-25-2002, 06:49 AM
i say that they r al amasing but yes the cobra R is not up to the viper and Z06 standerds but i choose the viper cus they look better and have more HP and r a little better in perfromence

zane11
07-05-2002, 11:42 PM
Haha i really dont see how this is a comparison Viper all the way. If your getting cars like that its usually for speed and no way those two are touching a viper. There fast but not that fast the 2002 viper 0-60 is like 3.9 - 4 seconds. Ive seend these cars race viepr blows them out.

ArtemisEntreriR34
07-07-2002, 08:25 PM
I'm not a huge American Car fan myself but i'd have to go with the Vette, its the best looking and it has great specs.

91HBSi
07-08-2002, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by zane11
Haha i really dont see how this is a comparison Viper all the way. If your getting cars like that its usually for speed and no way those two are touching a viper. There fast but not that fast the 2002 viper 0-60 is like 3.9 - 4 seconds. Ive seend these cars race viepr blows them out.

Actually if I were getting a car like that I would want it for handling, looks, acceleration, top end, and practicallity. If I wanted a car for speed I would get a funny car...

Vette all the way.

zane11
07-08-2002, 03:59 PM
If you want all that go with viper.It has looks, acceleration, and top end.

Viper all the way

mrcvette
07-08-2002, 05:54 PM
actually the 2002 Z06 and Viper are very close performance wise...up to 150 or so. The viper has traction problems, so the Z06 can keep up (it also weighs less) and the Z06 outhandles the Viper as well. There is also a larger aftermarket for the Z06. Id go Z06

91HBSi
07-08-2002, 06:24 PM
If you want all that go with viper.It has looks, acceleration, and top end.

Viper all the way

Right, it has looks, acceleration, and top end. You are missing one very important thing... Handling. A car is nothing without handling. Sure it will go fast in a straight line but who cares. That is why I said if that is all you want to do then get a funny car.

zane11
07-08-2002, 10:10 PM
Yeh i see what you mean but i dont think i have ever seen anyone race around here where handleing even ammtered. Its always like light to like or draging, and if it is turning its not major and the viper already has the lead from the acceleration that it doesn't lose anyway.

I've seen a new z06 and a new viper off the line its not as close as you would think viper beats it pretty good.

91HBSi
07-08-2002, 10:34 PM
It is all personal preference. I am an autocrosser so I am all about handling. I see Camaro SS get beat by civics and Vipers get beat by datson 510's and all kinds of stuff that most people would imagine to be the opposite, that is why I am biased... I would rather have a civic that could run a autoX course in 1 min and have a top speed of 130 than have a viper that did the course in 1 min 10 sec. and had a top speed of 180.

It's all personal preference.

zane11
07-09-2002, 12:05 PM
Yeh but if your autoX you wouldn't want any of these cars. They all suck for it even the Z06. Hondas would beat and that mazda mp3 wiill beat anything in that.

The point of getting these type of cars is usually not for ahndleing. Its all around performance, but it is all personal preference.

|Banchi1O5|
07-09-2002, 01:03 PM
Front wheel drive doesnt neccesarily mean better handling
taking into account the horrible effects of understeer that it creates. A Rwd or Awd car will always be able to beat a Fwd car in AutoX.:cool:

Fliquer
07-09-2002, 10:29 PM
^^^This is TRUE :frog:

zane11
07-11-2002, 08:26 AM
Yes it is, but i'd still take a viper haha

How bout that new c6 corvette man did they make a mistake.

flylwsi
07-11-2002, 04:09 PM
autox is more driver than car...
you can have the nicest rwd/awd car, and still get beat by alot of fwd...

zane11
07-11-2002, 07:21 PM
Yes this is also true

Viper

91HBSi
07-13-2002, 11:47 PM
I wasn't saying that FWD handled better, I was just sayin that I would rather have a FWD car that handles than a really fast RWD car that doesnt handle. FWD is not superior by any means, I know that.

Like stated above autocross is about 75% driver 25% car. But it isn't all driver (unless you really suck) because some cars just handle better than others.

91HBSi
07-13-2002, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by |Banchi1O5|
Front wheel drive doesnt neccesarily mean better handling
taking into account the horrible effects of understeer that it creates. A Rwd or Awd car will always be able to beat a Fwd car in AutoX.:cool:

No offense but it is kind of ignorant to say that. There are so may different senarios that could prove that false. I will agree that after a certain point FWD will become inferior though.

Your signature is opinionated, but I will have to comment anyway. How can you classify Honda as rice? Just because they are the ones that , in some fashion, kindled the sport compact car movement doesn't make them rice. Honda doesnt make rice, the people that buy Hondas (and every other make of car) are the ones who create rice. Next time you pick up a sack of rice in the super market and find that it is made by Honda then let me know :licker:

Fliquer
07-14-2002, 12:11 AM
A Rwd or Awd car will always be able to beat a Fwd car

I believe its assumed that he is not including crown victorias or pickup trucks...

mrcvette
07-14-2002, 08:58 PM
Yes it is, but i'd still take a viper haha

How bout that new c6 corvette man did they make a mistake.

what are you talking about...all thats been revealed is that it will be lighter, more powerful, better handling, and higher quality than the current car.

zane11
07-14-2002, 11:50 PM
New road and track magazine has pictures of it

91HBSi
07-15-2002, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Fliquer

I believe its assumed that he is not including crown victorias or pickup trucks...

I dont see to many crown vic's and pick-ups at the track, so I assumed that we left those out also. Like I said in a previous post I have seen FWD cars beat a Mustang Cobra, Corvette Grand sport, and the list goes on. I agree that it is a lot to do with drivers also, but I am just stating what I see.

I said what I said because he left the post open for arguement. He gave a general statement and didn't give any reason and he did not elaborate on the statement. :licker: Basically I just wanted to argue, lol.

Trust me, I am not for FWD. My next car will be RWD, hopefully a 97 240SX. I also know that if you give the same driver a FWD car and a RWD car and both cars are at about the same performance level then the RWD car would win.:

mrcvette
07-15-2002, 09:46 AM
New road and track magazine has pictures of it

I'm pretty sure those are just R&T's renderings, not what it is actually going to like. at least I hope this is the case

S Brake
07-16-2002, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Roadster2
WHO IS THE BADDEST SPORTS CAR OUT THERE I STILL THINK IT THE COBRA R I MEAN WHO CARES IF IT DOESNT HAVE A RADIO OR AIR CONDITIONING UR RADIO IS THE SOUND OF THE 5.4 LITER V-8 385HP ENGINE RUMBLING THROUGH TI DUAL EXHAUST AND UR AIR CONDITIONER IS THE WINDOW DOWN

NOW WHEN THE NEW 2003 VIPER COMES OUT IT WILL BE THE BADDEST THEN THE 2002 ZO6 WITH 405HP AND I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT THE COBRA R BUT IT WILL PROBABLY REPLACED BY THE 2003 MUSTANG COBRA WITH 390HP
http://www.automotiveforums.com/kris/kris/+junk/capslock2.gif

|Banchi1O5|
07-19-2002, 10:11 PM
lol - a few more ppl need learn that

hondasuck
08-11-2002, 11:10 PM
i call the ZO6 the 2-for-1 special, 2 SWEET ASS vettes for one overpriced chrysler!

old man celica
08-14-2002, 03:14 PM
get the Zo6 and use the extra 15k u saved, from the viper and mod the zo6, so in all there is no comparison, unless it was a Z06 with 15k in mods vs. a stock viper, in which the z06 would kick the viper outa the picture...but then u can also put all that money into a down payment for a house, get a 5k 5.0 mustang , biuld that up and compete with the vipers and zo6....

zane11
08-14-2002, 10:04 PM
I think its so stupid how people say with the money you saved from not buying the viper mod up the z06. Then why don't you go buy a Mazda MP3 (which handles as good as z06) and with the money you saved from not buying the z06 mod up the mp3 to DESTROY the z06.

This is a stock vs. stock .vs stock comparison and with that being said the viper will take both the z06 and cobra.

old man celica
08-15-2002, 12:46 AM
well while ur busy saying its stupid, i stated the obvious, people always say dat cuz its true, and since i was comparing a viper to a z06, theres a thing called money in this world, and if u dont have enough of it u cant get a viper, but u can get z06 if ur 15k poorer. so if ur in a position to buy a viper, its given ur in a position with a extra 15k handy . sorry i didnt mention ur lil mp3...(see if u noticed, i was talking about the viper and zo6)...oh yea and theres one more problem with ur statement, didnt i mention using the money instead for a down payment on a house or maybe getting a $5k 5.0 fox body mustang and modifying it with 12 times the amount of the car cost?...exactly....thnx for readin

zane11
08-15-2002, 09:46 AM
I read that maybe you didn't understand the thread we are talking about these 3 cars stock not modified like you mentioned. And if you want to save the money and mod up a car buy the mp3 instead of the vette mod it to DESROY the vette and then with all you cash you have left put a down payment on a house or buy your mustang you want.

|Banchi1O5|
08-15-2002, 11:27 AM
ya read the thread b4 you go nigga-insane
celica freak

old man celica
08-15-2002, 02:47 PM
sorry but im allowed my 2 cents man, i mean unless u all are super rich, then money is an issue and cars=money. simple fact of life. im not an idiot to not notice the obvious fact that stock for stock, the viper performance wise is the best car u can get, but cmon after everyone else says that, im thinking i will say something realistic...u knoe, wake up from supercar choosing fantasy land and talk about something we all want, money man....oh yea and about "old man celica" its one of the nicknames of my car besides "rusty", ok? and dont call me nigga. and trust me, i hate the celica, but i love the 450 dollar price tag and 600 hundred dollar a year insurance for it...

zane11
08-15-2002, 10:08 PM
Yeh I know we all want money totally agree with you and the celica is a great car and I like that. I'm just saying that the viper out of these 3 cars is the ultimate performance machine, but you could mod any car to beat it including your celica.

old man celica
08-16-2002, 03:36 PM
either way i think i can speak for us all, when i say it would rock to have anyone one of those crazy cars, i mean it would be better than a celica....:alien2: :alien2:

BigJustinZ28
04-13-2003, 09:48 AM
I think I'd have to go with the z06 . I know I'm a chevy man , but If you asked me 5 years ago the same question I'd probably have gone with the viper , but the vette has become so powerful that I dont have any doubts about it , I want a z06 :)

Polygon
04-13-2003, 01:16 PM
I can't believe that so many people in this thread think that the Viper can't handle. It is a track car. It would waste the Z06 on the turns. Try driving an F1 car and see how well you can handle it. Most cars that are pure track cars take an experienced driver to handle. The Cobra, now that can't handle, and the Z06 is a more forgiving car for the less experienced driver.

There are a lot of ignorant comments in here, that is all I have to say.

v10_viper
04-13-2003, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by Polygon
I can't believe that so many people in this thread think that the Viper can't handle. It is a track car. It would waste the Z06 on the turns. Try driving an F1 car and see how well you can handle it. Most cars that are pure track cars take an experienced driver to handle. The Cobra, now that can't handle, and the Z06 is a more forgiving car for the less experienced driver.

Exactly, ANYONE who knows anything about Vipers know that they were built as a car that can be driven on the street but can kick ass on the track. Do the words Competiton Coupe mean anything to you??? Track Viper for cheaper than most track cars, holy crap that thing is awesome, bad thing about the Vipers, Magazine testers can't test drive them worth a crap for the fact that they require lots of experience, they are saying that the new SRT-10 isn't fast than the old one at all, BULLSHIT!! with power to weight that they have over the old ones, they definately are faster. the magazines are saying that the Competion Coupe's top speed is 192, wtf?? it's well over 200 i bet. anyways, in the hands of say Tony Stewart, give him these two cars, i bet he gets faster laps in the Viper than the Z06 or Cobra, althought I will give the 1/4 mile to a properly modded Stang for the fact that it has a solid rear axle so it would hook up better, but they need much more power to compete with either of the other two cars.

Radracer
07-22-2003, 05:16 PM
You guys who think the z06 turns faster times than a viper, stock vs stock are obviously uniformed. Please do a search, any search where a viper and a vette, driven by the same person and you will be informed.

Amatuers and only amatuers will tell you that a vette is a better handling car than a viper. Why? A vette is an easier car to drive than a viper, so amatuers automatically assume it's "better". A race car on the other hand is not easy to drive fast! You can set a car up to drive easy around the turn by "slowing" it down. You do this by adding toe out and soft suspension. A true race car (like the viper) will be setup different and will not be so forgiving. So, if someone tells you a vette handles better than a viper, read this on his forehead...

"Amatuer"

This is really a meaningless discussion, all intelligent people who have owned both, driven or raced both, know the facts.

You will find that 75% of the viper owners are previous vette owners and have "stepped up" to the viper.

I have met 0 (nada, zilch) vette owners that are previous viper owners.

That alone should tell you something. People tend to step up to better and faster performance, not the other way around.

The viper won the lemans 3x in a row against the vette and has won most scca races this year against the vette.
Viper was pulled from lemans because the governing board decided they were too dominate and imposed many restrictions on the viper, such as intake restrictor (to reduce it's power down to at or below a vettes power) and weight and tire restrictions. THIS is why the viper is not at the top at Lemans the last two years.

Vipers are America's king of the hill, the very best in performance in power and handling. A few people (like those who have posted here) cannot accept that for whatever reason. Yet it wins and wins and wins and wins race after race, review after review. Even GM's top brass admit the corvette is not able the rightfully challenge the viper's king of the hill status. Why should you???? Yes, Mr. Lutz has in the works a "viper killer". Something that will challenge the viper in raw performance and handling. Until that day happens (if it happens) accept the fact that the Viper is the best performance vehicle this country has made to date. Bar none. Is the Z06 a great car? You bet it is, in every way. But it's not a viper, it plays 2nd fiddle to the viper in all performance aspects (even braking now that the srt is out).

It's a joke to call a viper a straight line performance vehicle. Couldn't be further from the truth. In fact it was designed as a road race car, not a 1/4 mile king although it does fairly well there too. Even though it wasn't geared or designed for 1/4 mile tracks it BLOWS the z06 away by nearly 1/2 second which is a significant margin. (average, some tests are more than that)

The viper has a slalom rating HIGHER than the vette. (better cornering and balance ability) and the viper has a higher rating on the skidpad than the vette. (better roadholding ability).

If someone would like to post here any proof to the contrary, such as a road test by ANY reputable organization that shows the vette having a faster or higher skidpad or slalom rating, then PLEASE do so.

THIS IS A CHALLENGE!

Otherwise go try to brainwash people elsewhere. It's not going to work here. I'm a republican, not a democrat so I don't go for that misleading information crap.

Radracer
07-22-2003, 05:36 PM
Oh and one more thing.

For those viper haters/z06 lovers out there who keep saying the z06 handles better then the viper.

What is your take on the latest test results by Justin Bell (corvette race car driver and race school operator)? He test drove all the latest supercars. Justin put each car through a series of tests, including laps on a road course and braking test.

Now according to you guys, the vette would win right? It's a better handling car and it's being driven by one of the world's BEST corvette drivers. No question the vette would win right???? ????

WRONG! The viper spanked the vette all around the track, every time by several seconds each lap. And it bested the corvettes brakes as well.

My question is, what have you got to say?

Do you admit the viper is indeed a better race car, a better handling sports car?

No, I doubt it because this is not about reason, it's about emotion.

You LIKE the vette because you own one or your friend owns one, so they MUST be a better car. You WANT to believe it's faster.

There just is no arguing this point, can't you see? It's like the OJ trial, even if they would have had a video tape of OJ killling those two innocent people, the jury would have aquitted. Why? Because it was an emotional issue, NOT one of reason. They WANTED to believe he was innocent, despite the facts, despite the truth.

The viper is a better performance vehicle.

Radracer
07-22-2003, 05:52 PM
Hopefully, this will enlighten all those who are uninformed and have only heard "retoric" on the z06 vs viper handling debate.

This test was performed by JUSTIN BELL (a well known and respected Corvette racecar driver) This should at least kill the "but in the hands of a better driver, the vette would win" argument.

What have the z06 die hards to say to this?

I got this from another site that was promoting the lambo position so some of the numbers are missing although the order is correct.

NOT ONE test result showed the Z06 AHEAD of the Viper. I find this amazing. The viper wins or ties the z06 in every catagory.

0-60
MT900 3.13 sec
Murci 3.51
Viper
575M
CL55
ZO6
EVO
Cobra
XKR

1/4 Mile Standing
MT900 11.02 sec @126.88
Murci 11.72@122.52
Viper
575M
CL55
ZO6
Cobra
Evo
XKR

60-0
Viper 97ft
MT900 100
ZO6 105
EVO 106
Murci 111
CL55
XKR
575M
Cobra

0-100-0
MT900 10.98
Viper 12.75
Murci 12.71
ZO6
575M
CL55
Cobra
Evo
XKR

Standing Mile
MT900 30.4@154.3mph
Murci 30.5@169.2
Viper
575M
ZO6
CL55
Cobra
XKR
Evo

100-0
Viper 274ft
MT900 275
ZO6 292
Evo 292
Murci 300
CL55
575M
Cobra
XKR

600 Foot Slalom
MT900 74.7
EVO 71.4
Viper 70.4
ZO6 70.4
575M 66.2
Murci 66.2
Cobra
XKR
CL55

Figure Eight
MT900 23.3 sec@.90G's
Viper 23.9@.86G's
Murci 24.7@.83G's
ZO6
Evo
575M
CL55
Cobra
XKR

Top Speed (limited by space)
Murci 193
CL55 (derestricted)
Viper
575M
ZO6
MT900
XKR
Cobra
Evo
F-150

Polygon
07-22-2003, 09:10 PM
I would say this debte is over. I forgot where I had placed that magazine. Thanks for posting all the facts for me. :bigthumb:

Neutrino
07-22-2003, 09:30 PM
I would say this debte is over. I forgot where I had placed that magazine. Thanks for posting all the facts for me. :bigthumb:

i agree that was the best comparison ever....

FYRHWK1
07-23-2003, 12:37 AM

It's far from "wasting" it when it comes to turns, the Viper will win in a roadcourse due to beter braking and power, not ability to transition nor grip.

The C5-r lost to the viper it's first year at lemans, it just BEAT it twice in a row for 1st and 2nd place in one of those years, in 2003 the C5-R lost to Prodrive, but I dont see any GTS-R's in there. The C5-R is the better racecar, hands down, but that means jack in the real world. When it comes down to it, including price, the Z06 is a much better buy, 50K vs 80 leaves ALOT of money left for modding, and unless you're searching for more then the 1000+ HP/TQ available on pump fuel then you dont need the vipers V10.

Both handle very well, and both have alot of room for improvement unlike every other exotic on the road, in the end it's all preference, but just so the viper guys stop patting htemselves on the back, the car is only better in your minds, it's far from better overall in the real world. Besides, you're comparing a car made in 97 to one just redesigned in 03, I should hope the redesigned car would be on top for now, compare the old GTS' brakes to the Z06 and theres a LARGE difference there as well, the C6 Z06 will be proper competition, just hope you dont mind losing much.

Radracer
07-23-2003, 10:19 AM
Just as I expected, excuses. Some people won't accept the truth. The truth is the Viper each and every model has been on top in terms of pure performance every year since it's inception.

The OLD GEN II will still blow away any corvette, including the 2003 z06. There are every conceivable documented tests and comparisons to prove this fact. As I said, there are road test results that show lap times for each model and the GTS beats the z06 in every lap.

FACT not FICTION

TRUTH not LIES

HONESTY not PROPAGANDA

I could post review after review just as I posted the numbers above, but someone would then say, "well yea but everyone knows the temperature that day was 77 degrees and corvettes are tuned to run at 90" or "Yea, but everyone knows that a vette will win any race on the street because it's setup to run on the street and the drivers were just biased anyway" or "yea, the viper only has better lap times because it's got wider tires, stick the same tires on each car the vette stomps the viper" or "yea, but the vette is $30K less, think of all the mods you can buy for $30K" or "yea, but my friend has a vette and I'm brainwashed because my uncles nephews brother in laws neice said her friend said that a viper can't handle as well as a z06". or "I saw on the internet that all reviews that compare a viper vs a z06 are conspiracy" or "my friend in the 2nd grade said that vettes rule so that means a viper sucks" etc.....

The viper may not win here, but at least it wins on the track and EVERY single comparison review!

Get over it guys.

stangvette1
07-23-2003, 03:13 PM
First off, the cobra r will get beat by both the viper and the Z06. The 2003 mustang cobra will keep up with the Z06, but definitely not the 2003 viper SRT-10. the Z06 and cobra are both worthy competitors of the viper, but neither the cobra or the Z06 will beat the viper. But since I am a big fan of both the Z06 and the Cobra I will tell all of the viper fans that with about $750-$1500 in mods the cobra or Z06 will beat the viper!!! The viper is a good car, but it is definitely NOT worth paying $80000 for. The Z06 and cobra are the BEST performance steals on the market. Plus the pathetic thing is that the Z06 and cobra both have more luxuries than the viper does ( I am not lying!). Sure these cars are not luxury vehicles, but it's pretty sad that a 35k car has more features than a 80k car. GEEZ, I can't wait until 2006. By then the Z06, cobra, and ford gt will all have 500 horsepower and kick the viper's ass in every category!!!!!!

Radracer
07-23-2003, 03:37 PM
Ok, so we're finally making some progress here. Now some are finally admitting the truth that the viper is the best performance vehicle made in the great USA.

Now we turn to features. You are correct. The mustang and the vette offer more creature comforts. And they should, they are an everyday driver that is mass produced and mass marketed. These cars are a great blend of performance and comfort. They are compromise vehicles. A viper wasn't designed to be a compromise vehicle. It is a race car that so happens to be street legal.

What you miss with the viper (creature comforts) you get back with a driving experience like none other. It's an experience that you cannot wait to do again and it puts a smile on your face you cannot get off. Sure, some may say that with the mustang and the vette. I have owned both and am looking for a c5 daily driver as I type. However, these cars lack greatly in that awesome driving experience and the sheer raw power and handling capabilities that the viper exceeds at.

As far as $1000 upgrades to beat a viper. Yes, you can add $1000 worth of nitrous to nearly any vehicle and beat a viper down the 1/4 mile track. Can and has been done. What you fail to see here is "what's the point'? The problem with this argument is reliabilty. The viper, although it is 450hp is really detuned. It can and does produce much more power than that when properly tuned. The difference between the vette and stang and any other car that wants to beat a viper, is reliability. The viper can produce that kind of power all day long. You strap nitrous to a stang or vette to keep up or beat a viper too many times and you'll be looking at a nice hefty rebuild bill. And what happens is you want to turn? How much suspension work would be required on a mustang to match a vipers cornering ability? Not much on a z06 but on a mustang, I'm not even sure it's possible considering it's suspension geometry.

You see, there is always a trade off. It depends on what you are looking for. The best looking and best performing vehicle ever built? buy a viper. A great compromise vehicle with great power, handling, comfort, buy a cobra or a vette. Great value for the money.

$80k buys you a lot of car for the money. It is the best car built. Styling, finish, performance, handling, power. Remember, it's go an all aluminum V10 engine. Those things aren't cheap to build, especially in the quanitities they are built.

A small block v8 on the other hand is dime a dozen. Great for tuners, great for owners because of the low cost of replacement/enhancement parts.

$45-$55K buys you a lot of car in the vette too.

$45K to me for a mustang, supercharged or not is a joke to me. I personally don't see why someone would do it, but that's their money, not mine. As you saw in the post I made above, it did ok in the tests, but not that good either considering it was near the end of the pack and is nearly the cost of a z06. The z06 is definately the best bang for the buck.

But, if you have $80K, then why not step up and get the best? And if you don't, why knock those of us who could? One day you probably will and will enjoy the cars as much as we do. They are like no other car.
I did A LOT of research before buying mine. I wanted the best looking car and the best handling. The power was not as important to me but it was nice. I got it all with the viper.

So if you say you can beat a viper with only a $1000 upgrade, that's not really being reasonable either when all things are considered. So is a $5000 piece of junk a better car because it had $1000 nitrous blasted in it to beat a viper down a 1/4 mile strip?

I think not. But.... maybe you do.

zane11
07-23-2003, 04:23 PM
Finally somone who could back me up after all this time of me saying the Viper is the best, thanks alot for the facts Radracer. The SRT-10 is the King of American cars and guess whats second not the Z06 the Viper GTS. The Z06 isn't comparable in my opinion and thats why its cheaper great bang for buck but not comparable to viper give it up. I know die hard chevy people who will admitt this I don't no why you guys can't. They just said they couldn't afford viper or theyd get that.

Add your comment to this topic!