Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

multi-color flames?

americanmuscleman
11-27-2004, 06:47 PM
hi i was wondering how to do some multi-colored flames. i know theres a how to but that just shows one color flames. i wanna do some flames that go from yellow to orange to red like fire. could someone help me out?

cooltc2004
11-27-2004, 07:20 PM
what ive done, is mask off the rest of the car, cut out the flames (make sure you have like automotive tape, or it will seep under), rub down real good, and spray the base color of yellow. (Ill use Yellow Orange, and Red for an example) Then after that has dried, and given the amount of coats you want, spray the orange about 3/4 the way. Some people use paper to block the over shoot, but I like it, it makes it flow better IMO. The same thing with the red, about 1/4.

Thats what ive done.

spidereddie
11-27-2004, 07:21 PM
I've done it, but with 'acceptable results' There are 2 ways I'd know how.

#1 mask off the flames the way you would for single tone. Then, you'd spray your red down. After that dries, you would spray a coat of orange starting from the front of the car and 'lifting' away the spray so as to 'fade' into the red. Then do the same with yellow, start the spray from the front and spray towards the orange making sure to again 'lift' before you spray over the orange. This takes practice. I'd suggest trying it on cardboard. You could also smooth out the transition post-spray by using some polishing compound after it dries.

#2 This way involved making a stencil of each 'part' of the inside of the flame. Make a mask for the flames like you would a single tone scheme. This time though we'd also use some stencils made out of cardboard or thick styrene (these won't touch the actual car). Since you want three colors, you'd spray your base red and use 2 different stencils that would cover up the parts of the flame that have already been painted.
i.e. the stencil for the orange color of the flame would be used to cover up the red parts painted that you want to stay red. Spray keeping the stencil lifted off the car body, that will allow the paint to get under the stencil and leave a fade effect. Repeat the process using another stencil that would cover up the red and the orange parts of the flame. Again paint with the stencil lifted slightly off the car to give the same effect. Polish out also. Practice with the stencil at different lengths away from a piece of scrap till you get the desired amount of fading.

sorry so wordy and difficult to explain. I'd use pics if i had any

mike@af
11-27-2004, 09:03 PM
I just freehand it with an airbrush.

EMAXX
11-28-2004, 11:34 AM
I had to make a little slot car type thing for school and I wanted to do some flames on it. I just Masked off the flames, then layed the lightest color, which in my case was the white, where I wanted it. Then I'd gradually fade it to my yellow, and then to my orange, and then finally to my candy red. It turned out pretty nicely. It took a long time though. Making the color fade perfectly the way I wanted them to took a while.

Add your comment to this topic!