Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Type R cams in Gsr

Tano016
11-27-2004, 11:23 AM
Ok, So i know someone who's willing to sell me BOTH type r camshafts for 300$. From doing reasearch i found out that when installing type r cams in gsr you should install your gsr intake springs on exhaust side and buy new type r intake spings. Now when i opened up my hanes manual, it says that in order to change valve springs on a vtec engine you have to remove the cylinder head! I really dont want to do this, and i dont wanna pay someone since i know it's expensive. So my question is: if i were to install both camshafts without changing the valve springs,would i damage the engine in anyway?, and will i still see performance gains.

Crippy
11-27-2004, 12:21 PM
the gains wouldnt be very much without the springs , but you should be ok without them as long as you dont rev past 8 grand ...

gsr916
11-27-2004, 04:08 PM
you will still see performance gains but at high rpms you have the possibility of valve float, in which the pistons can possibly hit the pistons. then you will do damage. My friend had ITR in his b16 for quite a while and never had any problems, but i convinced him to take them out if he wasnt going to replace the springs.... i personally do not think it is a good idea.

Tano016
11-27-2004, 11:34 PM
i heard that if you dont change your redline on your gsr (which is 8250 rpm on the gsr and 8750 on the type r) there is no need to change your springs, is this true?

kornflakes28546
11-28-2004, 11:08 AM
the GSR redlines is 8000 not 8250. if your going to do internal work, just take the time and a little money and do it right...get the springs

whitGSR07
11-28-2004, 05:26 PM
gsr redlines at 8100

integraboy_2007
11-28-2004, 09:34 PM
I'm pretty sure gs-r redlines a 8200 and type r at 8900

Tano016
11-29-2004, 07:36 AM
Please lets not start arguing over the stupid redline, we all know that the type r revs about 500 Rpm higher than the gsr (stock), so lets answer my original question: if i dont change the redline on my gsr, do i have to change my valve springs, i would like more than one opinion and actual experiences please. Please hurry since i have to decide soon, or the cams will be sold!

integralover
11-29-2004, 07:39 AM
it can be done without the springs. but it would be good to save up for those next.:2cents:

b18ls
11-29-2004, 09:21 AM
Keeping the RPM's low will help, but that's not the answer to your problem. You should invest in new valve springs. The GS-R springs are not as strong as the ITR ones. This means you run the risk of valve float.

Dr.Gonzo
11-30-2004, 12:40 AM
Yeah do it right when it comes to cams or else engine and performance will suffer. From what I am getting is if you don't put in stronger springs you won't get the full potential out of the ITR cams. Why only do a half-assed job and risk hurting your motor? If you save up the money to have it done right you will be able to use the full power of the cams.

That would be like me spending the $2900 for Schrick 268's and a Techtonics Tuning big valve head for my VR6 and not getting heavy duty springs. Yeah it could work but I could also cause a lot of serious problems and mess up my engine. Get the point?

Sed8ed
11-30-2004, 01:50 AM
No your performance wont suffer from weaker valve springs... just your engine might.

If you check your honda part #s you will find that the outer springs on the gsr and the type R have the same part #s, furthermore the inner springs on the gsr have the same part # as those from the type R.

The difference lies in with the gsr which only has inner springs on the intake side and not the exhaust side (the R has them on both sides)

In order to equate them, install stock B16, B18c1-5-R inner springs on the exhaust side and you are good to go. Personally, I would just go and buy 16 portflow inner springs, install those and call it a day.

To change the valvesprings without removing the head, you can use compressed air to keep the valves in place... remove the exhaust mani and use a pressfit compressor tip to pressurize the cylinder you want to work on... make sure the cams are removed first.

Note... if your engine has more than 100,000mi on it then you are better off to pull the head and replace all gaskets while you are at it... it will save you time and hassles down the road

kornflakes28546
11-30-2004, 09:58 AM
No your performance wont suffer from weaker valve springs... just your engine might.

everything else you said may be true, but isn't this an oxymoron? engine health = performance? so if the engine suffers the performance WOULD suffer? i may have just read your post wrong

b18ls
11-30-2004, 01:02 PM
The difference lies in with the gsr which only has inner springs on the intake side and not the exhaust side (the R has them on both sides)
I'm not sure I understand this statement. Due you mean the GS-R's exhaust springs aren't dual springs? (a small spring inside a bigger one, see picture below). If so, this might be true, but still means those 8 springs should be changed!
http://www.importstreetscenes.com/engine/internals/valvesprings/crower/valvespring.jpg

Tano016
11-30-2004, 10:09 PM
Type r exhaust springs are the same as gsr intake springs, its the intake springs that are completely different

knorwj
11-30-2004, 11:42 PM
honestly upgrading from gs-r to type R whether integra or civic is not that big a jump to warrent new springs/valves etc. If you were gonna go with anything bigger/badder/better than CTR cams then I would recomend upgrading the valvetrain but otherwise its not a huge difference and the stock parts will handle it.... But if you have money to throw around and want to do it it won't hurt.

Tano016
12-01-2004, 09:29 AM
Ive decided that im gonna get both type r camshafts, adjustable cam gears and a jdm 4-1 header, i already have an aem cai and Comptech exhaust installed, and it i want to get this all installed by a shop that has a dynojet. My goal is to gain power thouhout the power band, with the main focus being the topend.

Add your comment to this topic!