Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Want to do an LS Turbo have some ?'s

YouthfulLad
11-26-2004, 10:33 PM
Ok, I am planning on having this as a daily driven car, I have also dropped a couple grand into it for cosmetics and sound system already. I want power, but i don't want to break records. Just so I can back up the looks of the car. Over the winter I am planning on building up the car, might even do a built head swap. I am putting her away for the winter, but I know for sure I want to turbo it. I'm at about 145hp now, and I am planning on getting cams and pulleys. My main question is what boost should be good, I basically only drive 5min. to work and I drive home and back for lunch, then home again. So I basically drive 15min. a day on weekdays. I might go to a store or two every week, but that's about all. On the weekends I cruise and race about once every blue-moon, since I have an almost stock integra. So now you know what it goes through day-to-day. What boost will give me the best hp gain, and what boost will be the safest on an almost stock engine, I have heard 7-8psi, but i don't know? What else will I need to add a turbo? Also, what are some straight forward mods to do to the engine to make it more boost safe? Any helpful info will be greatly appreciated, if you want me to tell you anything else, just say so. Thanx for taking the time to read this and help me out.

integralover
11-27-2004, 01:56 AM
first off the condition of the car makes a difference. i would not go and do a turbo with over 150k miles on it without some rebuild. now since you are deciding on getting cams, you might want turbo cams. only makes sense. the pulleys are good too. since you are going turbo you should look into a turbo exhaust. and since you are doing the turbo you don't need to worry about intake and header. you are going to have to get a turbo intake and header. i also would suggest a boost controller. turn the boost down when you are not racing and turn it up when you feel like you want that extra kick. plus having it at a low boost(4psi) for daily driving will help save the life of the engine. and you can turn it up to 8-10psi for racing. the ls engine is a strong engine to boost. but not rediculously. now to have it truely boost safe, i would also suggest pistons, rods, valves, springs, rod bearings. and the head gasket. and an aftermarket intake manifold. its late and that's all i can think of for now.

kornflakes28546
11-27-2004, 08:59 AM
^^well said^^ just to add to what you said... you can easily turn the boost up to 12psi for racing, with the LS' low compresion 12 pounds shouldn't hurt anything internally if your just occationally racing. but good luck youthfullad, it sounds like a fun project

Add your comment to this topic!