Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 Ram 1500 5.9 loss of power

SMiller14
11-25-2004, 07:55 PM
I need everyone's expert opinion. I was driving my Dodge today on the interstate, all of a sudden I had a loss of power. pulled over thinking something is wrong with tranny, but when I put it in neutral and hit the gas, I can't get the rpms over 2000.

Wondering if the fuel pump is bad or fuel filter. Anyone have any thoughts?

LTJGWorth
11-25-2004, 10:50 PM
Fuel pump, or possibly the cat converter. Sounds exactly like what my 1997 did to me 4 times before I changed the fuel pump. The pump would go out when I had 1/4 tank of gas or less. It was going out and over heating (it uses the fuel as coolant). Put a new pump in from Autozone and haven't had any trouble since. Good luck.

SMiller14
11-26-2004, 09:44 AM
The gas tank has a full tank of gas. Could it still be the fuel pump? Are they hard to replace? If the cat, what would cause the cat to go bad?

LTJGWorth
11-26-2004, 02:53 PM
It could still be the fuel pump. It is a fairly involved job, but i changed mine in less than an hour and I'm no mechanic. The cat will go out when it gets clogged.

mr fix it
11-28-2004, 07:33 AM
I need everyone's expert opinion. I was driving my Dodge today on the interstate, all of a sudden I had a loss of power. pulled over thinking something is wrong with tranny, but when I put it in neutral and hit the gas, I can't get the rpms over 2000.

Wondering if the fuel pump is bad or fuel filter. Anyone have any thoughts?
I had the exact same problem with my 1996 dodge ram 1500. I put a new fuel pump in and was a waste of time. The cat converter is plugged. I was driving on the interstate when for no reason I had a loss of power and rpm. I could go 55 mph if I encountered no hills but it took forever to get there at minimal throttle. Generally the fuel pump either works or it doesn't. Listen to see if the exhaust has a throaty sound. It probably won't. The cat won't let it breath. They are around $725.00, so I would definitely get a dealer mechanic to check it out for sure (thats what I did), but that is more than likely the problem. Especially if you have high miles on the vehicle!

LTJGWorth
11-28-2004, 03:57 PM
Well, when my fuel pump went out, it would work a little while, then it would loose pressure. Changed it and it worked fine (until friday when I wrecked the damned truck).

fredjacksonsan
11-30-2004, 03:19 PM
Could be either one. Put your hand over the exhaust when it's running (of course, before it gets hot) and feel the amount of air coming out. It should be alot. If not, then it's your cat but I wouldn't rule out the fuel pump.

Add your comment to this topic!