Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Stock Capability or Aftermarket Potential

NISSANSPDR
02-26-2002, 11:08 PM
I know often when we do a comparison...there are some of us that are quick to talk about it's aftermarket potential...meaning some cars are easier to modify and make go faster than others. But what would you rather like...

A cool stock car that performs real well but you probably had to pay a bit more to get it that way so that you could be happy w/its performance (ie M3, ZO6, Viper GTS, any Ferrari or exotic car)

Or

A decent car that has good potential to be an awesome car that could beat down those cars mentioned above (ie Eclipse GSX, 240SX, Acura Integra Type R, Mustang GT, etc)

del
02-26-2002, 11:38 PM
that's a very good point that you bring up. it just depends on what car we're talkin about and who you're askin? personally i'd rather have a car that's already fast rather than spend $$ on fixin up a slower car. however, when i got my prelude i was still a huge fanatic about this whole import sport compact scene. and to a certain extent i still am. i still put money into my prelude. but i can definately see myself starting to grow out of that whole scene and i'm not gonna get another honda or any other car so that i can fix it up. but seeing that i have 3 cars and i already have invested this much money in my prelude, i may as well just see what i can do with it as long as i can afford it, which i can. you know what i mean? it's more or less become a hobby for me. before it was more competitve and serious to me but now, it's just for fun. my next car's gonna be a family sedan, for my new family. so why not have fun when i can?

MBTN
02-27-2002, 12:14 PM
Any fool can put a too-fast motor on an ill-handling chassis...:o

TatII
02-27-2002, 01:23 PM
i'd pick a decent car that has decent upgrade potiential. like i'm goin to get a 97 240sx soon. its not that slow of a car, compared to a civic. but its still pretty nimble. and it has a decent upgrade potential (sr20det swap) soooo i'm like right in the middle. plus thats all my budget can afford anyways.

wishihadaskyline
02-27-2002, 02:54 PM
yeah i was gonna do the whole sr20det swap on a 95 or newer 240sx thing cuz it costs only 8k for the car and 6k for the swap but my dad wants a new car which is why i gotta get a fast car for around only $20k. so i gotta go with stock performance for now.

TatII
02-27-2002, 10:44 PM
hahahah ic ic. well either car that we suggest are really nice cars. the golf 1.8t and the se-r spec V. since i'm kinda biase towards nissan, i would pick the se-r spec V

NISSANSPDR
02-28-2002, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by wishihadaskyline
yeah i was gonna do the whole sr20det swap on a 95 or newer 240sx thing cuz it costs only 8k for the car and 6k for the swap but my dad wants a new car which is why i gotta get a fast car for around only $20k. so i gotta go with stock performance for now.

6K for an SR20DET...please tell you are talkin about the S15 SR20DET...250HP 2.0 Liter Turbo 0-60MPH 5.6 seconds and Quarter Mile stock in 13.9 seconds...

:D :D :D

wishihadaskyline
02-28-2002, 03:28 AM
yes..well i dont know about all the times and all but when doing my research and considering the car and the swap i found srswap.com and yes 6k covers the S15 SR20DET engine w/ a 6speed tanny, all components needed and installation but theres all this other crap needed to keep it running smooth so it be at most $7k. so check it out, they got all types of SR20DET engines and last i checked they had an R33 RB26DETT engine in stock. BUT JUST THE ENGINES:D

http://www.srswap.com

Tom_S8
02-28-2002, 06:49 AM
Excuse me for my ignorance but how can a integra beat ferrari? Not that i have anything against integras , but they are fwd what can't handle much more than 300hp and there is no possibility they can beat a viper or F40....

NISSANSPDR
02-28-2002, 11:32 AM
But I know of some street legal Honda's that run 12's on all motor...so I mean...imagine a lightweight hatchback Civic w/nothing as interior except a steering wheel, racing seat, roll cage, harness, and a shift light! Then imagine a big nasty turbo on a built motor that can handle 30 psi of boost. That would wipe kick some major tail in the quarter and still be legal...course on the highway you couldnt run drag slicks...or could you? I know of a friend of mine who runs his FWD Talon on slicks around town...he runs a 12.1 in the quarter...which will beat most Ferrari's...but not all Ferrari's...course Ferrari's arent drag machines...but it's just an aspect it could beat it at.

Tom_S8
02-28-2002, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by NISSANSPDR
But I know of some street legal Honda's that run 12's on all motor...so I mean...imagine a lightweight hatchback Civic w/nothing as interior except a steering wheel, racing seat, roll cage, harness, and a shift light! Then imagine a big nasty turbo on a built motor that can handle 30 psi of boost. That would wipe kick some major tail in the quarter and still be legal...course on the highway you couldnt run drag slicks...or could you? I know of a friend of mine who runs his FWD Talon on slicks around town...he runs a 12.1 in the quarter...which will beat most Ferrari's...but not all Ferrari's...course Ferrari's arent drag machines...but it's just an aspect it could beat it at.

Yeah , i know this , but a car with 30 psi boost and nothing in the interior isn't the best idea for a daily driver , and if you want to run 12s in a fwd car you have to replace the gearbox , and it's top speed is like 130 mph or so , and with a Z06 you can run 11s and 200 mph after a few litlle mods , and still have a good everyday car that you can listen to stereo in it , and it will go 100000 miles without any major repairs , and a 1.6 engine that runs a turbo on 30 psi and a 150 shot of NOS... it has to be repaired all the time , you can't make a long trip because of the fuel consumption , you will have an headache after few hours of driving it ( yes , i LOVE loud sport exhaust , and i have one in my porsche) but i have driven in my friends celica that had an ultra loud exhaust , and we were going 26 hours non-stop , because there was a snowstorm , and a lot of accidents and traffic jams... And belive me , i started to hate this exhaust ... but you in the US fly with a plane to anywhere far away... Here in europe i had some 2500 km or so trips with car ...

Add your comment to this topic!