Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

looking to disable factory alarm

madbodger
11-23-2004, 08:43 PM
I just bought a 93 V6 5sp 4runner with the TVSS factory alarm system. I hate it. It self arms with no apparent way to disable it. It goes off while I'm driving sometimes. Nearly gets me shot in parking lots.

So, after pulling the control unit from under the seat, I understand there is an additional wire that needs to be disconnected from the ignition switch but the description I was given does not match any wire I have. There is only the main bundle, about 6 or 7 wires going into the connector to the back of the switch. I am led to believe there is an additional wire or two that tees into the main bundle, but I don't have that. Until I deal with that, the ignition disable feature is in place and it will not start.

Does anybody have more specific info on this? I cannot wait to find a factory manual for this thing to track it down. It's nearly undriveable with the horns going off all the time. I can disconnect them, but...I'd really rather lose this "Total Vehicular Sanity Shredder". Thanks

forest_grump
11-25-2004, 09:22 AM
I just bought a 93 V6 5sp 4runner with the TVSS factory alarm system. I hate it. It self arms with no apparent way to disable it. It goes off while I'm driving sometimes. Nearly gets me shot in parking lots.

So, after pulling the control unit from under the seat, I understand there is an additional wire that needs to be disconnected from the ignition switch but the description I was given does not match any wire I have. There is only the main bundle, about 6 or 7 wires going into the connector to the back of the switch. I am led to believe there is an additional wire or two that tees into the main bundle, but I don't have that. Until I deal with that, the ignition disable feature is in place and it will not start.

Does anybody have more specific info on this? I cannot wait to find a factory manual for this thing to track it down. It's nearly undriveable with the horns going off all the time. I can disconnect them, but...I'd really rather lose this "Total Vehicular Sanity Shredder". Thanks

When I purchased my '92 4x4 V6 A/T 4runner I traced alarm wiring all the way under dash where they had simply unplugged Ignition switch from plugin and installed a *pigtail* in between instead of splicing into wiring there...just drop lower dash panel under steering colum and find wires coming from ignition switch and see if there is a pigtail in between(plugins on mine was white where both sides of original harness and switch plugs were both black)....goodluck and happy holidays :o)

BCowley
11-25-2004, 08:35 PM
I have the same problem with the "beep" on my 97, it works when it wants to, hasnt really bothered me enough to look into it yet, but if you find a quick fix let me know!
Thanks
Brian

forest_grump
11-26-2004, 05:01 AM
I have the same problem with the "beep" on my 97, it works when it wants to, hasnt really bothered me enough to look into it yet, but if you find a quick fix let me know!
Thanks
Brian

Are you talking about the *beep* you hear when lights left on or key is in ignition when drivers door is open???

Add your comment to this topic!